Power for a 220Volt single phase arc welder

Ask your electrical related questions here
Flywelder

Power for a 220Volt single phase arc welder

Post by Flywelder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:12 pm

So, I'm considering installing( myself again) a receptacle for my small arc welder, near the garage door opening. The welder requires 220 volt single phase power. My welder is over 10 years old probably closer to 20. It has a 3 blade plug, like would be used and was for decades for an electric stove. I'm certain all of you know the receptacle I'm referring to. :)) ;)
My Qs are:
1) Do you think I can install a old 3 blade receptacle for the welder and not be required to install a new style 4 blade?

2) Do you think I can use the same cable type that is used for a electric stove, to run from the panel to this receptacle? it will be in the neighborhood of a 30 foot run.

emtnut

Re: Power for a 220Volt single phase arc welder

Post by emtnut » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:10 am

Flywelder wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:12 pm
So, I'm considering installing( myself again) a receptacle for my small arc welder, near the garage door opening. The welder requires 220 volt single phase power. My welder is over 10 years old probably closer to 20. It has a 3 blade plug, like would be used and was for decades for an electric stove. I'm certain all of you know the receptacle I'm referring to. :)) ;)
My Qs are:
1) Do you think I can install a old 3 blade receptacle for the welder and not be required to install a new style 4 blade?

2) Do you think I can use the same cable type that is used for a electric stove, to run from the panel to this receptacle? it will be in the neighborhood of a 30 foot run.
The "old style" 3 blade was a 10-50R , it was wired for 240V, but had 2 hots + neutral and no ground wire (the ground on the range was tied to the neutral). It's obsolete now.
240V welders use either the 6 or L6 NEMA receptacles (ie, for 30A it would be a 6-30R or L6-30R for a locking recept)
The 6 series uses 2 hots and a ground no neutral (the welder doesn't use it)

If you have the manual for your welder, it should spec what it has, or if you post a pic of the plug end we can help you out.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~