Security systems, prepping for installation

Ask your electrical related questions here
Flywelder

Security systems, prepping for installation

Post by Flywelder » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:12 pm

Perhaps this is an unusual topic, and maybe not, but it is a issue I'm thinking I should give consideration to. This site and forum, have been a tremendous assistance to me! a real treasure trove of help! Thank you every one! And with no one else near me to sound issues and questions to, I'm turning to you guys once again!
So, while my walls are open, and if I were considering a security system, nothing elaborate, but I think should include cameras and door alarms maybe motion sensing? What else is there to consider?
So, should I run wires to and install any special wiring boxes any where, for a security system?
What type boxes and wires, etc.?
Locations such as where?

if it helps to know: I have two windows and a back door and a garage door, on the first floor. Second floor has 6 windows. The original house has a front door and 10 windows, and 5 rooms.

emtnut

Re: Security systems, prepping for installation

Post by emtnut » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 am

I don't have much experience with home alarms, but in general you would want a multiconductor cable to pick up door switches/glass break/motions ...
For cameras you should run a CAT6 cable.

You can terminate in a box if you like, but not required.

You could try googling what system you want, and see what type of wiring it asks for.

Aaron may have some suggestions too
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 am

yes ,most are pretty simple low voltage stuff. I'm not sure about power to cameras ,but many can be run by WIFI for the signals if you want. Usually the sensors all run back to a main unit on the wall and most sensors only need two wires each. No box is needed as Wayne mentioned.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Flywelder

Post by Flywelder » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 am

okay. and I will look at systems and see what they require. probably more Qs will come then. Lol.