3 outlets and 2 switchs and an outlet

Ask your electrical related questions here
FourStarGeneral

3 outlets and 2 switchs and an outlet

Post by FourStarGeneral » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:39 pm

First time post. Joined up on here because I found the only answer to my question another lady asked and it worked. Couldn't find the help anywhere else so THANKS!!! You had a rough guild you posted for her and it worked great.

Question 1: Might be simple but want to make sure. I have a fridge on one wall but all 3 outlets it can plug into is connected to a GFCI. Anyway to unprotect one of them without wiring to the breaker box?

Question 2: I have 2 switch's that that control the same light (they are on separate ends of the hallway) and a GFCI outlet on the wall (outside). They are connected but the outlet doesn't work. There is power going to the outlet though. Outlet is in between the switch's. I was thinking that the outlet was hot because the wire went to the switch from there. Freezing outside so I haven't opened it up yet. This weekend I will. Any insight would help as I'm fairly new to DIY projects.

Thanks,
Chris.

Shannon

Re: 3 outlets and 2 switchs and an outlet

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:31 am

If these plugs are all protected because they have a GFCI plug- in ahead of them (not a GFCI breaker in the electrical box) on that run, and if one of those 3 plugs you can reach is the GFCI . Then what you can do is move that GFCI down to the next position in the run and place a regular plug in its place.
When a GFCI plug-in is used to protect a string of plugs it only protects everything after it on that circuit , nothing ahead of it. Hope that makes sense .

If you are sure that that GFCI outside is on the same circuit and the lights work inside but the plug is not working then maybe it is defective or maybe the reset needs to be pushed. I know that sounds obvious but some people forget about the reset button.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

FourStarGeneral

Post by FourStarGeneral » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks so much for the reply. Your post made complete sense. I cant swap out the GFCI because its within so many inches of the sink...36in I think was the reg.? Though I didn't think about that option if I run into similar problems! Would it be easier to run a new line to the breaker box? Or maybe re-wire the GFCI to the last outlet in the sting and run wire to a nearby outlet that's not in the GFCI string? The wires wont reach and I would have to run wire from the outlets to the new spots.

I did try the reset button but it wouldn't reset. That is an indicator it might be bad yes? Is there a way to test if it is bad if it doesn't reset?

Thanks for the help! Hope these aren't to bad of questions.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:38 pm

I think your best option here is to Run a separate circuit right from the breaker box to the fridge, Other wise you could be over loading the circuit you hook in to. If you place the new fridge plug behind the fridge then most people are ok with it not being a GFCI even if its within 1M of the sink.
That outside GFCI I would replace with a new one, sounds like it is done!
The forum is here for you guys to ask questions and for me to try and help you out, so no question is a bad question.LOL
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon