Hooking up an electric cooktop that has only 3 wires?

Ask your electrical related questions here
Al C

Hooking up an electric cooktop that has only 3 wires?

Post by Al C » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:24 am

We just picked up our new electric cooktop and to my surprise it only has 3 wires , black, red, and a bare ground wire ... no neutral white conductor ( it's a 220v cooktop )... perhaps a lot of new 220v appliances are like this? We have a 3 conductor + ground coming from our main panel, so the question is, for the connections, do we wire nut the black - black , red - red, ground to ground and just cap the unused neutral white wire from the main panel? I suppose we tape it up as well and leave it in the junction box?

Shannon

Re: Hooking up an electric cooktop that has only 3 wires?

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:58 am

That is not ideal but is what most people will do. Make sure that you disconnect the white wire in the breaker box cap it and tape the cap on well so it can not fall off do the same on the appliance end of the wire cap the white and tape it well and out of the way. The only reason I do not like this is because there is the possibility of some one down the road trying to rehook up that wire in the box but in most cases it is impractical to replace the actual whole wire from appliance back to the breaker box.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon