The Official Useless Post Thread

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Admin
Site Admin

The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by Admin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm

OK here it is, the official place for literally any off-topic discussion of things. Let's just say anything goes for now. The point of this thread is to give off-topic chit chat a place to live so we don't pollute otherwise helpful on-topic discussions.

I'll go first. It was -33 Celsius here 2 days ago, that's friggin cold. For you yanks that don't understand easy to understand units that the rest of the world uses, that's -27 Fahrenheit... without the windchill, I think it was like -45 or something :P - so what is cold where you live? I know A. Spruce thinks it's cold if it drops below 20C (68F).

A. Spruce

Re: The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Admin wrote: I know A. Spruce thinks it's cold if it drops below 20C (68F).
Wrong, it's cold if I have to put clothes on . . . :shock: :? :lol: :lol:

Anything below 45F is getting too chilly to be out in for me, at least for working. I do like winter and snow and that sort of thing, I just don't like being cold while enjoying it. :mrgreen: isn't that what they make ski lodges for, a place to be sipping a nice hot, adult beverage while watching the snow and the snow bunnies fall? :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:41 pm

Food for thought:

On a couple of hobby forums that I'm a member of, we've created a Chit Chat forum for such things, that way, all the relevant topic stuff is kept tidy and all the fun is over in one corner out of the way. This doesn't always curtail relevant topic frivolity, but it does significantly reduce it without squelching the overall good natured air of the sites. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:22 am

A. Spruce wrote:Food for thought:

On a couple of hobby forums that I'm a member of, we've created a Chit Chat forum for such things, that way, all the relevant topic stuff is kept tidy and all the fun is over in one corner out of the way. This doesn't always curtail relevant topic frivolity, but it does significantly reduce it without squelching the overall good natured air of the sites. 8-)
Yes I like that idea , a separate tab just for the chit chat. That is up to Admin to figure out as ...well you guys know I could build you a friggin home but I could never add a extra topic tab to this forum if I tried for a year! :oops: :oops: :lol: :|
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:37 am

We're running the same forum software on the hobby sites and it's pretty easy to figure out. I'm no techie and I've been able to add forums and change things around fairly easily. Now, having said that, I'm no techie, so I leave most of that sort of thing to the other mods who enjoy such things . . . plus, I'm lazy and just don't feel like doing it. :twisted: :lol:

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:40 am

We had a thread like this on another forum I run and it went on for years. Can you explain why we'd need a whole section of the forum for chit chat? What's wrong with keeping it all in one thread that goes on forever and changes topics constantly? I don't see how having one area full of multiple random chats is better...?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:09 am

I don't care if you leave it here but then lets sticky it so we can get to it easily anytime we need to.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:46 am

Shannon wrote:I don't care if you leave it here but then lets sticky it so we can get to it easily anytime we need to.
That would be the main reason for a forum listing instead of a single thread, not being able to easily find it. Plus, it isn't uncommon for there to be multiple "off topic" conversations going on that are relevant unto their own, as an example, my hobby forum has 5 to 8 active chit chats going at a time, some are long standing threads, some last only a week or two. For now, a thread may work because there's really only 5 of us here to chit chat, when we have more regulars, the need for a larger room may be necessary.

Aaron

Re: Utility Knife [And other fascinating subjects]

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Back to the adrift conversation.
Admin wrote: $12.47 would round down to $12.45 if paying by cash.

$12.45 = you pay $12.45
$12.46 = you pay $12.45
$12.47 = you pay $12.45
$12.48 = you pay $12.50
$12.49 = you pay $12.50
$12.50 = you pay $12.50
I just learned something interesting. If you cash a check (do you guys spell it cheque?) at a Canadian bank, they round UP to the next 5 cents. So if your check is

$12.45 = you get $12.45 cash
$12.46 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.47 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.48 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.49 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.50 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.51 = you get $12.55 cash
...and so on.

Interesting!

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Utility Knife

Post by Admin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:40 pm

Where did you hear that? I never "cash" cheques, I only deposit, and they don't round up in that case.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:54 pm

I can't think of anything to say :oops:

But for some reason, adding comments to some thread that Aaron or Spruce has derailed just comes naturally :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:21 pm

See there we go, utility knife thread back on track. Extra stuff dumped in here...

Shannon

Re: Utility Knife [And other fascinating subjects]

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Aaron wrote:
I just learned something interesting. If you cash a check (do you guys spell it cheque?) at a Canadian bank, they round UP to the next 5 cents. So if your check is

$12.45 = you get $12.45 cash
$12.46 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.47 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.48 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.49 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.50 = you get $12.50 cash
$12.51 = you get $12.55 cash
...and so on.

Interesting!

That is not true I deposit odd centred cheques all the time and they are never rounded. The only time things are rounded here since the penny disappeared is cold hard cash transactions.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 pm

oh just wait I see you actually said "cashing" a cheque. That could be true then if they are giving you cash for it.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Shannon wrote:oh just wait I see you actually said "cashing" a cheque. That could be true then if they are giving you cash for it.
Yeah cashing a cheque used to be a very common bank transaction before cash machines. You had to have at least as much money already in your account to cover the amount of the cheque you want to cash.

So it makes sense that if you try to cash a cheque for $x.51 they should give you $x.55 because they would be short-changing you otherwise.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:57 pm

Well .... just got back from the Sens/Leafs game :)

I'm much closer to Ottawa, but I'm a Leafs fan ... we kicked their butts :lol:

Poor Ottawa ... the 300 section is full of Leaf fans, and we Overpower the whole arena ... Guess we're loud :mrgreen:

Leafs 4 , Ottawa 2

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:08 am

Canadian Hockey...teams with not enough money to properly compete. ;)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:48 am

Admin wrote:OK here it is, the official place for literally any off-topic discussion of things. Let's just say anything goes for now. The point of this thread is to give off-topic chit chat a place to live so we don't pollute otherwise helpful on-topic discussions.

I'll go first. It was -33 Celsius here 2 days ago, that's friggin cold. For you yanks that don't understand easy to understand units that the rest of the world uses, that's -27 Fahrenheit... without the windchill, I think it was like -45 or something :P - so what is cold where you live? I know A. Spruce thinks it's cold if it drops below 20C (68F).
It's been dang cold here in MN too, we get the same high pressure arctic cold air you guys get. Frostbite of unprotected skin within 4-5 minutes. Brutal.

As for Celsius yeah nobody knows that scale here. But digital displays on banks and other buildings that show the current temp show both F and C.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Aaron wrote: It's been dang cold here in MN too, we get the same high pressure arctic cold air you guys get. Frostbite of unprotected skin within 4-5 minutes. Brutal.

As for Celsius yeah nobody knows that scale here. But digital displays on banks and other buildings that show the current temp show both F and C.
Oh ! .... so NOW your trying to stay on topic :mrgreen:

(Hope you know I'm just pulling your leg :roll: )

Not a bad winter here so far. Few cold days (low -25 to -30) but not too many.
They are calling for a very mild next 2 weeks ... just above freezing (highs of 1 - 3)

Hope we don't pay for that in February !!!

Sorry my US friends ..... you'll have to convert to Farenheit yourself :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Yeah I see that warmup happening next week too, I dunno if it will last into the week thereafter or not. Highs in the low 40s F (4-7 C). It will be good to get the crust of ice off the street and sidewalks. Not a big fan of winter -- I somehow endure this every year.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:38 pm

We're probably about done with our freezing temps at night around here. It will still dance around near that mark for a while, but the risk of freezing pipes is likely over for the season. Yes, we can get frozen pipe damage, happens about every ten years or so.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:06 pm

I was careless running a dedicated cold water line to my dishwasher. The dishwasher is in cabinet space along an exterior wall, and I ran the pipe in the stud cavity of that space from the basement, so it actually is right next to the rim joist down there.

Dumb.

Thankfully the pipe never burst; it just froze and the dishwasher never filled. I immediately stuck a fan in that space and went to the hardware store to get some heat cable to wrap around it. Plugging in that heat cable every November-April has unfortunately been my permanent solution.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Cold water line to your dishwasher? Why not a hot water line? I have never seen a dishwasher installation book ask to hook to cold water? I believe most dishwashers have a pre heater to get the water up to a good cleaning heat and make the dish soap work at its best but I have always hooked to the cold cause that is what they have asked for. I would think that way the pre heater does not have to work so hard.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Was out ice fishing today, nicest weather we have had in a long time. I still sat in the shack anyways other then a couple of breaks. Much more comfy in there! :D :D

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Shannon wrote:Cold water line to your dishwasher? Why not a hot water line? I have never seen a dishwasher installation book ask to hook to cold water? I believe most dishwashers have a pre heater to get the water up to a good cleaning heat and make the dish soap work at its best but I have always hooked to the cold cause that is what they have asked for. I would think that way the pre heater does not have to work so hard.
Yes! A hot water line. That's what I ran to the dishwasher. Sorry--brain fart!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Shannon wrote:Was out ice fishing today, nicest weather we have had in a long time. I still sat in the shack anyways other then a couple of breaks. Much more comfy in there! :D :D
I think there's tip-ups with electronics that can alert you electronically of a catch so you never need to leave your shack. Also all the GPS and sonar gear. It's become pretty competitive.

I have an uncle and cousin who are really into it. They went up to Lake of the Woods this weekend to ice-fish.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm

Shannon wrote:Was out ice fishing today, nicest weather we have had in a long time. I still sat in the shack anyways other then a couple of breaks. Much more comfy in there! :D :D
Did you catch lots of ice? :mrgreen:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:16 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Did you catch lots of ice? :mrgreen:
Lots of ice?! Hell ya and I almost drowned cooking it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 am

Aaron wrote:
I think there's tip-ups with electronics that can alert you electronically of a catch so you never need to leave your shack. Also all the GPS and sonar gear. It's become pretty competitive.

I have an uncle and cousin who are really into it. They went up to Lake of the Woods this weekend to ice-fish.
I love perch fishing, we use underwater cameras. Its amazing how many perch are down there looking at and sucking on your hook and you can not even feel it in the rod! I have a pretty sensitive fishing rod and I can't even sense them with it half the time. So you are reacting more to what you see on the screen then what you feel in you hand.
I have a tip up and I think I have actually set it up maybe 6 times, just not that interested in using them.
I have been using a pop up ice fishing tent the last few years but this fall I converted a old camper into a hut and have been using that. I do not think you can by a old camper around here anymore, they have all been converted to fishing huts!

I have seen some great fishing catches from The lake of the woods. Looks like fun.

Here is a picture of the sun rise the other day.
Attachments
sun rise ice fishing.jpg
sun rise ice fishing.jpg (54.45 KiB) Viewed 4810 times

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 am

Ah that looks like a nice and quiet weekend.