The Official Useless Post Thread

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
RICHat22

Re: The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by RICHat22 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:15 pm

Well, it's official. A couple weeks ago I got back on my remodel. Speaking of code violations.... And I just saw June of 2017 was when I mostly stopped it and was my last visit. Welcome back to me.. :)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:56 pm

We appreciate the return and the updates on your projects. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:09 pm

RICHat22 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:15 pm
Well, it's official. A couple weeks ago I got back on my remodel. Speaking of code violations.... And I just saw June of 2017 was when I mostly stopped it and was my last visit. Welcome back to me.. :)
Glad to see you back at it!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 am

Thanks guys. I'll try to post some embarrassing pics of my handiwork soon. I have all the tools and a little common sense. So it's requiring me to not hurry and think things through. Also giving me a chance to hone my fine details to prep for cabinet building soon. Among other things.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:55 am

RICHat22 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 am
Thanks guys. I'll try to post some embarrassing pics of my handiwork soon. I have all the tools and a little common sense. So it's requiring me to not hurry and think things through. Also giving me a chance to hone my fine details to prep for cabinet building soon. Among other things.
Nothing to be embarrassed about. We all start at some point, learn from our mistakes, and get better with advice from others and practice. You said you have common sense and tools--that helps a lot!

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 pm

emtnut wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:57 pm
Now I guess it's time for the cold weather :(
Yeah, bring it on. Working in 90+ degrees all day long just kills my whole old [email protected] body anymore, but the cold just makes my fingers and toes hurt- quite an improvement :D

Phil

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:17 pm

We've finally leveled off into the high 70's and low 80's, been this way a few weeks, in another few weeks we'll be in the 60's for a high, then suddenly drop in to what is sub arctic conditions for a place that is supposed to be warm all the time.

I moved here because it was supposed to be more moderate. :roll: What we get is cold for several months in the winter, a couple weeks of moderate "spring", 100 plus temps for the summer months, a couple weeks of "fall", then right back into F'ing cold.

I know you cold region guys laugh at my pain, but I don't live in your areas for a reason, it's too F'ing cold!!!! :lol:

I don't know if my bones are as old as Phil's, probably close.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:14 am

We have had an unusually colder fall this year . It has been averaging maybe highs of 8C (45F) for a few weeks now (since about mid Sept.) with rain and snow every week at some point. Getting lows of -5 to -8 C (15F) at night. We generally don't get that starting until end of Oct. usually. The older I get the more I hate it. Although I would rather work in sunny 10C (50F) weather then 35C (90F) all day.
I'm never happy I guess? Don't know how I will survive if I make it to Spruces age ? :lol: :lol: :o
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 am

You survive by getting mean and ornery! :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 am
Makes sense now. :D :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Look what I saw outside this morning! :o

It's definitely below normal temps this fall. Prolly not gonna see the glorious colors this year. :|

Currently its 37F/2.8C. Brrrrr!!!!

4E6A19B3-70D1-4E0A-AE3A-ACEE8C6CB8DC.jpeg
4E6A19B3-70D1-4E0A-AE3A-ACEE8C6CB8DC.jpeg (169.79 KiB) Viewed 706 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 pm
A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 am
Makes sense now. :D :lol:
Oh, and alcohol, copious amounts of alcohol! ;) :mrgreen: :lol:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:05 pm

This is why you don't let the greenhorns around Nutzy and Aaron. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4cNxSMyfQo

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:54 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:05 pm
Oh boy, i wish I had 1/2 the energy of that young gun still!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Yeah, he really went to town, didn't he?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am

Aw, man... that poor guy was totally hazed. Hopefully he learned an important lesson as well as some very earnest respect from his tormentors. That was some serious workout.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
That was hilarious :lol:

Brings back memories of some of the crazy things we used to pull off.

Usually just the "go back to the truck and get me the sky hook and wire stretcher"

We had an apprentice at the office in the morning. Told him to stand outside the bosses office and call him.
We said as soon as he answers, walk into his office and say "Hi" .
We had put peanut butter on the earpiece of the bosses phone :lol:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:26 pm

One guy in an office I used to work at tormented this jerk of a supervisor nobody liked. He found an old laptop and those old small computer speakers with cords. Off hours he climbed above the drop ceiling and lowered speakers down the wall of this guy's office. He left the laptop plugged into the plenum space and ran a program that made cricket chirps at random intervals. He got to watch the guy walking around his office going crazy looking for where the noise was coming from. LOL

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 pm

Aaron wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:26 pm
One guy in an office I used to work at tormented this jerk of a supervisor nobody liked. He found an old laptop and those old small computer speakers with cords. Off hours he climbed above the drop ceiling and lowered speakers down the wall of this guy's office. He left the laptop plugged into the plenum space and ran a program that made cricket chirps at random intervals. He got to watch the guy walking around his office going crazy looking for where the noise was coming from. LOL
That's a good one, though I bet the sup didn't appreciate it. :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Aaron wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DanM

Post by DanM » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:16 pm

emtnut wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 pm
A. Spruce wrote:
That was hilarious :lol:

Brings back memories of some of the crazy things we used to pull off.

Usually just the "go back to the truck and get me the sky hook and wire stretcher"

We had an apprentice at the office in the morning. Told him to stand outside the bosses office and call him.
We said as soon as he answers, walk into his office and say "Hi" .
We had put peanut butter on the earpiece of the bosses phone :lol:
LOL, we have similar ways we mess with new guys just carpentry oriented. For us the secret is you have to yell really loud and fast for full effect so they don't have any time to process it they just high tail it back to the truck. "Go back to the truck and get the wood stretcher" / "...Round square", etc.

We have other meaner tricks that are always fun. Nailing someone's pouch to the ground is always fun but sometimes you gotta turn that up to 11. I remember one time I got this one annoying guy really good. He used to take his pouch off all the time and my boss would yell at him to get it back on or bad things happen. So we were about to put up high walls (manually, which always sucks and this dude always managed to wander away so he didn't have to lift). So he had his pouch off and wandered away as usual about 5 minutes before we were gonna lift the high wall. I nailed a 2x6 stud across the wall into a bunch of studs. Then I nailed his pouch to the 2x6, every single belt hole (he had a belt with a pair of upper & lower holes for more than a foot of belt). That was easily 25-30 nails through the belt. Than I took another 2x6 and got the nail gun and unloaded two strips worth of nails into the perimeter of that 2x6 sandwiching his belt between them. Then we lifted up the high wall, LOL. He was on the ladder for more than an hour taking that contraption apart to get his pouch back. He was bitching and moaning and my boss just said "I told you bad things happen when you take your pouch off all the time."

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 pm

DanM wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:16 pm
He was on the ladder for more than an hour taking that contraption apart to get his pouch back. He was bitching and moaning and my boss just said "I told you bad things happen when you take your pouch off all the time."
To really drive the point home, I'd also be sure to dock his pay for the hour he spent screwing around to retrieve his belt and not actually working.

While not a hazing, I had a policy that you could borrow anything you want out of my truck, so long as it is returned in the same condition you got it and on my tailgate by the end of the day. Had a laborer borrow a hammer and flat bar to tear apart a damaged fence. End of the day comes and no tools on my tailgate. I ask him where they were, he didn't know, I reiterated he either find them or he owed me new tools. Of course, this pissed him off, but he started searching the site for them. Around 10 minutes later he came back empty handed and sulking. I then asked him if he wanted to buy me new tools or would he like me to tell him where he'd left my stuff. Opting for the latter, I told him that the tools were exactly where he left them, where he'd been working all day, sitting on a fence rail beside the house. Then he was pissed that I didn't tell him this to start with . . . :roll: Some people are never happy. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:16 am

Omg. I am terrible with misplacing tools as I work on projects. I'm not a pro like you guys, obviously, so I don't have a belt/pouch or whatever. But seriously, I'll drill a hole and then be like "wtf did I put the drill?" like 5 minutes later.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:26 am

Ive spent 2-5 min looking for the pencil that is right behind my ear... true story and I' ve done it more then once. :roll:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 am

DanM wrote:

LOL, we have similar ways we mess with new guys just carpentry oriented. For us the secret is you have to yell really loud and fast for full effect so they don't have any time to process it they just high tail it back to the truck. "Go back to the truck and get the wood stretcher" / "...Round square", etc.
I guess it's not fun for the new guy, but it really makes for fun on the jobsite :lol:

I was running a job once, it was to install a 'video wall'. 9 42" plasma TVs. Plasma was just on the market.. new technology at the time.
My boss told me "whatever you do, don't let the guys drop one of these, they're worth almost 10k each" !!

After we finished the conduit work and were ready to install them, I called a tailboard meeting.
I told the guys what we were about to do, and cautioned them on the 'plasma' that was in these things !
I told them it was just like acid. I said acid is extremely low ph, but these are actually 'caustic' meaning they are EXTREMELY high PH. I told them that if one were to drop, that the plasma is compressed, and would spray all over us, and easily give us 3rd degree burns over our whole body.
I said before we start, I can go to safety supply to get the haz mat suits if anyone wanted one.
(Remember, I keept a good poker face the whole time ;) )

Anyways while we we installing them, the guys were actually holding these things so tight, they were sweating :lol:
But we didn't drop anything :)
They actually had a good laugh when we were done, and I told them it was a bunch of BS.

Boss was happy too !

Sorry, long read, but it was funny as chit at the time :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Ha ha ha, people are so gullible. UNLIKE ME. :lol:

DanM

Post by DanM » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am

emtnut wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:08 am
DanM wrote:

I guess it's not fun for the new guy, but it really makes for fun on the jobsite :lol:

I was running a job once, it was to install a 'video wall'. 9 42" plasma TVs. Plasma was just on the market.. new technology at the time.
My boss told me "whatever you do, don't let the guys drop one of these, they're worth almost 10k each" !!

After we finished the conduit work and were ready to install them, I called a tailboard meeting.
I told the guys what we were about to do, and cautioned them on the 'plasma' that was in these things !
I told them it was just like acid. I said acid is extremely low ph, but these are actually 'caustic' meaning they are EXTREMELY high PH. I told them that if one were to drop, that the plasma is compressed, and would spray all over us, and easily give us 3rd degree burns over our whole body.
I said before we start, I can go to safety supply to get the haz mat suits if anyone wanted one.
(Remember, I keept a good poker face the whole time ;) )

Anyways while we we installing them, the guys were actually holding these things so tight, they were sweating :lol:
But we didn't drop anything :)
They actually had a good laugh when we were done, and I told them it was a bunch of BS.

Boss was happy too !

Sorry, long read, but it was funny as chit at the time :lol:
That's pretty good, really hard to pull off ones like that since you've only got 1 shot and they have to the right kind of gullible when you do it. If only you could've pretended to struggle with a box and then dropped it towards someone to see if they screamed and ran away lol.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:37 pm

DanM wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:16 am
That's pretty good, really hard to pull off ones like that since you've only got 1 shot and they have to the right kind of gullible when you do it. If only you could've pretended to struggle with a box and then dropped it towards someone to see if they screamed and ran away lol.
We used to do confetti in the defrost (window) heater of the cars (if they were unlocked), and wheel bearing grease on the door handles too :mrgreen:
Bolts in the hub caps.
Those little chocolate milk containers filled with water on a semi closed door.
Changing the 'wife' picture on the foremans desk to a "not suitable for work' picture :lol:

Those were the days ! I like retirement, but sometimes work was a lot of fun 8-)

DanM

Post by DanM » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Ya sometimes work ain't so bad when you get to do stupid stuff.

I like to save up all the bent discarded nails in a box, then when someone isn't looking I'll fill their pockets up with them and put a layer of good nails on top. One time I saved up a whole box and put it in the trailer and made it look like a fresh box. I never did find out who grabbed 'em but I'm sure it didn't make their day lol.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:10 pm

It's stuff like that that makes going to work fun.

Instead of 'oh, crap... another day at work' it's more like 'I wonder what Joe is going to pull of today'.

Makes for good memories too :lol: