The Official Useless Post Thread

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
DanM

Re: The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by DanM » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:23 pm

Ah the old car game.

1980-something - Hyundai Excel - technically not my car. It was my mom's old one and became a field car for us to learn how to drive. For city folks that's a car that sits in the damn field with no plates and you drive her till she dies.

'90ish Plymouth Sundance - it was a hand me down, total PoS but at that age who cares it worked.

Next was a couple of really bad beaters I can't remember. Were talkin' $100 or less, un-safetied, un-insured, un-plated things that I drove when I was a broke student and they'd last like a month or two.

'97 Dodge Neon - this had to be the worst car that wasn't a bargain bin beater. 3-speed automatic mated to a weak 4 banger, calling it anemic is the understatement of the century.

2002 Mazda 3
2007 Mazda 3
2012 Mazda 3. Ya I like my Mazda's. The first I bought from my dad for dirt cheap after school, kinda loved it so much I bought two more. They drive really well, they're extremely well built, the suspension is nice and stiff so they handle extremely well (way better than any non sports car I've ever driven, and they're actually on-par with plenty of high end sports cars in that department), can't go wrong with a hatchback, good on gas, really good stereo, and they're just fun for some reason.

Honourable mention for my 'new' work vehicle which isn't technically mine but it stays at my house every day so that's close enough. It's a hand me down from my boss but it's way better than his smelly Dodge Rebel that spends more time in the shop than it does on the road.

She's a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L V8, 4x4, crew cab, and long box. I've only had it a few months now but I'm loving this thing (aside from parallel parking which I don't do since I can't fit lol). It has one feature I've never used before that's kinda handy, it has automatic mode for the 4x4 so if you start losing grip it slips it into 4x4 for a bit then drops back into 2WD once you're rolling. It's not AWD though it's still a 'proper' 4x4 with 4-HI and 4-LO you can lock in if you want.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:18 am

Good friend of mine has had three Mazda 6's in the last 15 years or so, actually the first one was back when it was called 626. He swears by them.

Crew cab and long box! That is a LONG truck. lol

DanM

Post by DanM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:17 am

Ya lol, in most parking lots it takes up one and a half parking spaces. I usually park as far from the stores as possible so I don't look like a giant d-bag. Took a little while to get used to it that's for sure. The first week I had it backed into garbage can at work and I'll never live that down now. Nothing bad happened really, I was just so used to the size of the van and I have zero visibility of things directly behind me because of the cap over the bed. So I just backed up and assumed I had enough room until I heard a thud. Could've been worse, another dude at work turned his generator into a pancake with the zoom boom lol.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 am

Aaron wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 pm
emtnut wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 am
I forgot, I also had an early 80s buick. Mid-size, can't remember what it was. It was like driving a couch down the road ... I didn't keep it very long !
That is what is *always* said about Buicks, that it's seats are couches. :mrgreen:

Also, why isn't Buick pronounced like Quick?
Cause it would sound like 'bwick' ... people would think you were saying brick with a lisp :lol:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:07 am

I drove a work truck, GMC crew cab with the long box as well.

I used to say it had the turning radius of a yacht :lol:

2 lane street with parking on both sides, NO WAY could you do a 3 point turn ... was at least 4 or 5 :roll:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:14 am

Yup mine is the full crew cab and 6.5' box, turning radius? What s that?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 am

Long trucks do take some getting used to and prior planning when pulling into a parking lot. My '95 was 21 feet long, that's when I started backing into parking spaces. It was tough to judge that distance in the mirrors. The Burb I just bought has an aftermarket stereo with a back-up camera. It's a cheap, crappy stereo, but that camera does come in very handy when backing into spaces and knowing exactly where that tail end is. Dan, you can pick up a cheap wireless camera for around $100, I'd highly recommend one! 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

DanM

Post by DanM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Nah, it's probably handy but I ain't buying anything for a work vehicle I don't own lol, and I only ask my boss for 'extra' stuff that helps me work better or maintains tools. Stuff like that is an easy sell. The front of houses we're building which tend to be pretty clear most of the time. I've gotten used to how much space the truck takes up now so I just judge how much I can back up as I'm angling up getting ready to reverse.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 pm

I hear ya on buying stuff for a work vehicle, but if you bought a wireless unit, you simply take it with you when you change vehicles or decide the leave the company. Heck, I've never had one before either, you don't know what you're missing until you start using one. It's kind of like the compass/temp gauge on the rear view mirror. It's kinda neat when you first see it, but you've live without one you don't care. Then, you get used to having it there and miss it when you're driving a vehicle that doesn't have that feature. :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Geezus Spruce, he works with a bunch of dudes, you know how bad they'd heckle him if he put a back-up cam on the truck especially after he'a already getting hazed by his backup mistake earlier. Christ.

Competently maneuvering a vehicle is the measure of manhood, goes without saying. Now if it came with the vehicle then of course you'd use it. But adding one on? You're a pussy. lol

But wtf is with these new tailgates on GMCs, it has some goofball step thing:

10B49894-E258-41F1-8BFD-B87636B569DA.jpeg
10B49894-E258-41F1-8BFD-B87636B569DA.jpeg (99.14 KiB) Viewed 595 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:36 pm
But wtf is with these new tailgates on GMCs, it has some goofball step thing:
you're not the first person to WTF?!?! that tailgate. Personally, I'd rather they spend their time engineering useful things like sun visor system that actually works! Or, how about down-sizing the damn A-pillars so you can see around the stupid things? How about a step in the side of the bed in front of the rear tire? And I know I'm REALLY asking for the moon and the stars here, but how about a recirculation button that actually works WITHOUT the fan being on or the airflow control someplace other than on the feet?

/rant

:mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm personally not a fan of crap that is complex and looks like it will easily break or fail, you know like some Rube Goldberg thing. That tailgate step thing looks like just such a thing.

Power windows and door locks were marvelous inventions, particularly door locks with remote fobs. If they break it's worth fixing.

Are they making composite beds yet? That seriously needs to happen. No bed-liner.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:59 pm

emtnut wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:03 am
Aaron wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:15 pm
Also, why isn't Buick pronounced like Quick?
Cause it would sound like 'bwick' ... people would think you were saying brick with a lisp :lol:
Actually that's not a lisp, it's a different speech impediment called rhotacism. People who pronounce an 'r' with a 'w' sound.

Think if Elmer Fudd were in Asia. He'd thwo a wok at that wascally wabbit.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 am

Ya that tail gate will be a nightmare after traveling gravel roads for a year.all full of dust ,mud ,sand. It will be shityy to open and close to use as a step. And imagine washing it, my little handle trim do hicky thing on my tailgate handle holds so dust and dit it lets out mud forever while washing the truck.
The step on box side infant of back wheel may be a thing I heard on the 2500 trucks in 2020. kinda a little place to get your toes in while reaching for stud in the bed. I actually use the spokes of merits right now. LOL. I know some guys just cringed when I said that!
How about a truck where you could actually custom pick and choose your options based on what you want and need instead of packages with one good thing and 4 you don't need. I understand this complicates stuff in the factory but maybe we just have too many little option choices to start with?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:14 am

Shannon wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:35 am
How about a truck where you could actually custom pick and choose your options based on what you want and need instead of packages with one good thing and 4 you don't need. I understand this complicates stuff in the factory but maybe we just have too many little option choices to start with?
That would be awesome! It will never happen, but it would be awesome!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Yeah or just buy an older vehicle that doesn't have it, or wait til a newer vehicle doesn't have it when they figure out it isn't selling and stop manufacturing it.

Remember quadrasteer?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Yeah, I thought it was a great idea, apparently, it didn't work as well as expected.

On a similar note, the 02 Sierra we've had since new can't keep parking brake shoes to save it's life. the 03 Burb I bought, the parking brake works just fine. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get into it when I replaced the service brakes a couple months ago (don't have the tools anymore), but it holds strong so far.

The problem with the 02 design is that the brake shoe is a literal horse shoe shape, with no hardware to keep it from settling onto the drum during normal driving. From what I can see from the little I've thumbed through the 03 service manual, this has been upgraded with some sort of retainer to prevent that issue.

I'm not an engineer, but I can look at some of the hair-brained ideas that some of these idiots are putting into production and it's more than obvious that it simply isn't going to work. There is zero common sense, sometimes it's form over function, sometimes it's "idea" over function.

What I'd really like to see is some thought put into the servicing of the crap being spewed out of Detroit. Everything these days is to make production easier and cheaper, with no thought into the post manufacturing serviceability. There has got to be a balance, somewhere, between ease of manufacture and common sense serviceability.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:38 am

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 pm

a-weema-weh
a-weema-weh
a-weema-weh
a-weema-weh

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 am

That song brings back some memories for me ...

I worked at a restaurant after school and weekends, we used to sing that song in the kitchen. The head chef could do a really good falsetto, so it sounded pretty good.

Another favorite we used to sing was 'I want candy' . Hands banging on the stainless counter, and a few pots for cymbals, and we sounded just like the original :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Vw9RGm1tM

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Oh wow, that song is older than I thought. I've only heard this 80s cover, which I thought was original:

https://youtu.be/JoXVYSV4Xcs

emtnut

The dog wisperer !

Post by emtnut » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Well, I don't usually whisper at my dog but ....

I can tell when he sees a cat or squirrel by his bark. I can tell if he sees another dog, and I can tell when he barks to come in ... all very distinct different barks.

Well I heard a new one last week, and I knew something was up ... went to look outside, and there was a huge snapper turtle on the front lawn :shock:

Good thing I came out when I did, cause doggie was inching closer to him, and I don't think it would have turned out well.

Anyways, good thing we Canucks have hockey sticks :mrgreen: .... took quite a few pokes, but he finally turned around and left.

One thing I found out, when they get flipped on their back, they can extend their head and flip back over ... I always thought a turtle couldn't flip back like that.

A. Spruce

Re: The dog wisperer !

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm

emtnut wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:34 pm
One thing I found out, when they get flipped on their back, they can extend their head and flip back over ... I always thought a turtle couldn't flip back like that.
Depends on the turtle, not all of them can.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:44 am

Ha ha ha, you guys all have hockey sticks whether you actively play or not, just an everyday useful thing like a broom or shovel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually half the people here in St Paul might too, leftover from kids or whatnot. :?

Out pets (dogs and cats) are pretty dang smart, they make different sounds for different situations. They try hard to talk!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:21 am

Aaron wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:44 am
Ha ha ha, you guys all have hockey sticks whether you actively play or not, just an everyday useful thing like a broom or shovel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually half the people here in St Paul might too, leftover from kids or whatnot. :?

Out pets (dogs and cats) are pretty dang smart, they make different sounds for different situations. They try hard to talk!
I used to go through a lot of sticks when I was young. My Dad used to cut them at about 3' and use them to tie up his tomato plants

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:47 pm

You know it's hot in Canada when . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5nJ-cyI5Q

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:59 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:47 pm
:lol:

I've had quite the assortment of animals on my front yard.
Most recently the Turtle.
Starting mid-july every year, I get frogs ... hundreds of them. Makes mowing the lawn a sloooooow process cause you have to wait for them to jump out of the way !
I've had numerous deer, a bear, and one time a horse ... Was from the neighbours farm (one street over from me is all farmland). Thank fully he came to get him before ALL my grass was eaten :lol:

No Moose yet, but they are around here for sure. We even get Bald Eagles up here.
I was close to one a few years back. He was up in a tree. When he took off, you could hear the 'swoop' from his wings. That looked to be about an 8' wingspan ... Big Bird !!

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:35 am

emtnut wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:59 am
A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:47 pm
:lol:

I've had quite the assortment of animals on my front yard.
Most recently the Turtle.
Starting mid-july every year, I get frogs ... hundreds of them. Makes mowing the lawn a sloooooow process cause you have to wait for them to jump out of the way !
I've had numerous deer, a bear, and one time a horse ... Was from the neighbours farm (one street over from me is all farmland). Thank fully he came to get him before ALL my grass was eaten :lol:

No Moose yet, but they are around here for sure. We even get Bald Eagles up here.
I was close to one a few years back. He was up in a tree. When he took off, you could hear the 'swoop' from his wings. That looked to be about an 8' wingspan ... Big Bird !!
Agree EMT, the grace and power of the big birds is incredible, I particularly love to watch them fish as they dive bomb at 90 degrees (almost went into internet wormhole looking up why there is not degree symbol on keyboard) from 90'!

On another note, Shannon it may be a good idea to provide a video similar to the below as not everyone is aware that you can and should participate in a contract. Another good Canuck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdiHxyFZP88

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:58 am

My dad had an eagle's nest high up in a tree up at the lake. There were all sorts of squirrel and other critter's bones at the base of the tree, after the eagles had their lunch.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:39 pm

Love2Learn wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:35 am

Agree EMT, the grace and power of the big birds is incredible, I particularly love to watch them fish as they dive bomb at 90 degrees (almost went into internet wormhole looking up why there is not degree symbol on keyboard) from 90'!

On another note, Shannon it may be a good idea to provide a video similar to the below as not everyone is aware that you can and should participate in a contract. Another good Canuck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdiHxyFZP88
Never seen them fish 'live' ... only on TV.

I wish there was a ˚ symbol too. I would come in handy when you say it was 36˚ out today :mrgreen: :lol:

OK, or you can try "alt" "k" :geek: