The Official Useless Post Thread

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Shannon

Re: The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:34 am

Aaron wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:58 pm
Shannon sorry to hear on your latest video about your garage break-in, or at least attempted break-in. That exact same thing happened to me like 10 years ago and I had my bike taken. I did that exact thing of wiping the codes and having he opener re-learn the remotes I still had. People are arseholes!

You can find new remotes on eBay for like $30. Mines a LiftMaster but the one I got is Chamberlain and I think it's the same as that Craftsman you have, it looks identical to mine.

Ya you feel kinda violated when these things happen.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:38 am

Aaron wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:56 pm
A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:35 pm
And here I though everything north of the border was all maple leaves and maple syrup! :| ;)
There is that perception that nothing bad ever happens in Canada. USA 2.0, the newer version, without all our bugs. lol
crime is a problem everywhere. Drugs are the main reason in most areas IMO. People need money to support their habit and thats all they care about. Not a ton of big violence where we are but lots of theft for sure and it has been getting worse. Crystal meth from what I hear is the main driver for much of it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:25 am

Shannon wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:34 am
My work truck got broken into twice. The first time, they took vice grips to the T-handles on the side wing of the canopy, but they didn't take anything. Had they opened the back or the other side they'd have had access to all the tools. I got lucky that the locks spun within themselves, getting it fixed the canopy place said that usually the windows break, which would have been considerably more expensive.

Second time they smashed the driver's side window and stole the bag phone and tape measure. They even went to the effort of finding the breaker (exposed service panel) and turning off ONLY the driveway flood light. Again, other than the phone and tape measure, nothing was taken. I think that one cost me around $300 for a new side window and phone. This was in the mid 90's, before the days of pocket sized phones.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:04 am

Shannon wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:34 am
Sure does, it's an invasion. Makes one pretty angry and wish you could have caught the criminal in the act, or at least had surveillance to catch on video who did it and when to send to police.

You're right, it's not the need for the items being stolen it's totally for cashing in for drug money. Addicts are sick and desperate.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am

Had video but not good enough to identify. They were up and down the street a few times that night.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am

You need yourself one of these! :wink:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:41 am

Or one of these, whichever suits you best. :wink:
index.jpeg
index.jpeg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 734 times

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:17 pm

It's Canada so those signs would need to be French too, otherwise the would-be burglar could file a complaint with the government.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Well, I would have posted them in French, but we have language filters here, so . . . :| :mrgreen:

If that doesn't make sense to anyone, growing up, whenever my mother would swear, she'd follow it up with "pardon my French". :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:45 pm

There was a breakfast cafe around here a while ago called "Pardon My French". Besides quiche they had croissants and baguettes and other Frenchy things. Nice place before it went out of businesses, though I had only been there once.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:47 am

Aaron wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:17 pm
It's Canada so those signs would need to be French too, otherwise the would-be burglar could file a complaint with the government.
Lol! That’s more of a deal in Quebec. Although products sold with packaging have both by law. Kinda a joke but I’m not French so I guess if everything was in French I would either learn French or want English as well.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:48 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:50 pm
Well, I would have posted them in French, but we have language filters here, so . . . :| :mrgreen:

If that doesn't make sense to anyone, growing up, whenever my mother would swear, she'd follow it up with "pardon my French". :mrgreen:
Oh I got it ,lol

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:22 am

Shannon wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:47 am
Lol! That’s more of a deal in Quebec. Although products sold with packaging have both by law. Kinda a joke but I’m not French so I guess if everything was in French I would either learn French or want English as well.
Yeah actually I've been noticing more and more stuff sold here in the US with both English and French packaging. Obviously to save on costs so the same exact product can be sold in both the US and Can stores.

They must have discovered most Americans won't reject packaging that has a language they don't understand on it.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Aaron wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:22 am
Yeah actually I've been noticing more and more stuff sold here in the US with both English and French packaging. Obviously to save on costs so the same exact product can be sold in both the US and Can stores.

They must have discovered most Americans won't reject packaging that has a language they don't understand on it.
Actually, I'm seeing more and more stuff go the way of Ikea, and just use pictures, no matter how unintelligible they are, to give instructions of use. I have absolutely no problem with multi-lingual instructions, so long as at least one of them is something I can read and understand. At the moment, that's Amerikunese, but one of these days I really do have to pick up Spanglish, and, if Admin ever relaxes the language filter here, fluent French! :lol: :lol:

Minor side note, "they" say, learning new languages keeps the mind active and engaged as you age, so becoming multi-lingual helps to thwart things like altzhiemers, dimensia, and other age related mental disorders.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Yeah the funny thing with things going the way of pictures and icons is that we just are creating a new language of pictures.

But that's what Egyptian hieroglyphics were, and how character-based languages like Chinese came from!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 am

I used to be very staunch about language. If you come to Amurika, you need to speak Amurikanese. However, having traveled to other countries and not being able to speak the local lingo, I absolutely appreciate those who've surmounted my ignorance to be able to communicate with me, no matter how stunted. Now, I not only have an appreciation for those with limited Amurikanese, I have the desire to learn their language to be able to reciprocate the effort.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:44 am

Hah, well "Americanese" is whatever language you want to speak. The de facto standard is English, but unlike our Canadian friends who made English and French their official languages, we have none. Tomorrow Klingon could be the de facto Americanese!

Almost all other countries in the world have official languages: Mexico, Spanish; France, French; Italy, Italian; UK, English; etc.

Spanish is fast becoming our second de facto language!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:28 am

Wow two mornings in a row without a new post? IS there life out there?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:00 am

I was noticing the same thing, did Admin change some site settings or something?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:45 pm

Nutzy's been quiet in the last four weeks or so.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:35 am

I was meaning the entire forum more than any of us. Its funny how we can have such fluctuations in the volume of posts.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Yeah it's sort if the shoulder season I guess. After labor day, back to school, no free time to work on house projects.

I wonder if admin can pull stats on post volume throughout the history of the forum. You could see a histogram of the busy times of the year.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:08 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:15 pm

I wonder if admin can pull stats on post volume throughout the history of the forum. You could see a histogram of the busy times of the year.
That would be an interesting stat.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:19 pm

Sadly the statistics are very much lacking with this forum software.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:19 am

Admin wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:19 pm
Sadly the statistics are very much lacking with this forum software.
Yeah I'm not that surprised. You'd have to do queries in the back-end database. Unless you have access, or even know SQL queries, it would be a PITA to compile.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Aaron wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:45 pm
Nutzy's been quiet in the last four weeks or so.
First time I've ever heard that !! :mrgreen: :lol: ;)

Still hear, but nothing going on much in electrical. The few of them lately you answered... so I wasn't needed :cry:

Seems slow everywhere, even Mike Holts site is pretty much just crickets these days ... maybe we answered everything ?? :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:19 am

queries in the back-end
Huh ??? :shock: :shock: :evil: :mrgreen:

That doesn't sound good !! :lol:

Dia

Post by Dia » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 am

emtnut wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:14 pm
Aaron wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:19 am

queries in the back-end
Huh ??? :shock: :shock: :evil: :mrgreen:

That doesn't sound good !! :lol:
Speak for yourself

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Anybody here turn on the heat yet ??

It was warm yesterday and today, and forcast is good for the next few days. But I did turn on the furnace twice now in the morning, just to take the chill off. We had a few mornings where it was 4˚ ... brrrr :shock:

Oh, and Sprucy, we don't want to hear about how often you ran the AC in the last couple of weeks :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Well we had a spate of awesome Canadian cold front last week with highs around 65F/18C. Then the jet stream decided to exert itself and now we're back to highs of 80F/27C. It's the shoulder season here.

But definitely premature for turning on the heat. I usually do that in late October or early November.