The Official Useless Post Thread

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Aaron

Re: The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by Aaron » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:18 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:09 am
I will be so glad when that stupidity is abolished! :roll: The reason it was implemented no longer applies.
Yeah it should get abolished In our lifetimes I think. It's nonsense.
A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:10 am
Oh, we'll get to Aaron, don't you worry! :twisted: :P :mrgreen: :lol:
Oh you missed it, my b-day was last Wednesday, the 30th.

My best ? Going to my clinic and finding out I have a scaphoid fracture in my left wrist. Surgery is Tuesday. My left arm will be in a cast for 6 weeks. :(

Fell off my bike on Aug 27 and the initial X-rays showed no fractures. Turns out it was too small to be visible at the time so I was told it was likely just a sprain. :roll:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:07 pm

The first sign you're getting old is when the aches and pains never go away! :LOL:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Oh you missed it, my b-day was last Wednesday, the 30th.

My best ? Going to my clinic and finding out I have a scaphoid fracture in my left wrist. Surgery is Tuesday. My left arm will be in a cast for 6 weeks. :(

Fell off my bike on Aug 27 and the initial X-rays showed no fractures. Turns out it was too small to be visible at the time so I was told it was likely just a sprain. :roll:
Happy Birthday !!! ... I'm not late, just wanted to be the last to say it :mrgreen:

When you get old enough to forget how to ride a bike, it's time to hang up the spandex, and take up crocheting ... just sayin' :lol: ;) ;) :o

Ahem ... Speaking from experience :oops:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:06 am

Looks like Nutzy gets a reprieve from being picked on while we bring you today's vocabulary lesson:

Modern Tools

Hammer - In ancient times a hammer was used to inflict pain on one's enemies. Modern hammers are used to inflict pain on oneself.

Pliers - A device used to extend your reach the necessary few inches when you drop a one-of-a-kind screw down behind the new wall it took you two weeks to install.

Electronic Stud Finder - An annoying device that never goes off when you point it at yourself.

Halogen Light - A worklight that lights up your backyard with the incandescence of a football stadium, causing you to cast a heavy shadow over the area you're working on so that you need to use a flashlight anyway.

Cordless Drill - A device that lessens your chance of electrocution 90% over a standard plug-in tool.

Cordless Telephone - The handyman's 911.

Air Compressor - A mechanical device similar in principle to harnessing the power of your mother-in-law's nagging complaints and using the resulting airflow to blast old paint off the side of the house.

Chain Saw - Allows you to cut your way out of the shed that you accidentally built completely around yourself.

Vise Grips - A pair of helping hands that doesn't critique the job you're doing or offer advice.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 am

Happy belated Aaron and also hoping you make a speedy recovery bud!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:06 am
Modern Tools
Hammer - In ancient times a hammer was used to inflict pain on one's enemies. Modern hammers are used to inflict pain on oneself.

Electronic Stud Finder - An annoying device that never goes off when you point it at yourself.
Lol, I like that list :lol:

Except I don't get the stud finder one ???? Mine works for me ... maybe a user problem ?? :mrgreen: ;) :lol:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:22 pm

emtnut wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 pm
Except I don't get the stud finder one ???? Mine works for me ... maybe a user problem ?? :mrgreen: ;) :lol:
Yeah, mine works just fine too, so I'm guessing user error as well. :lol:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:20 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:22 pm
emtnut wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 pm
Yeah, mine works just fine too, so I'm guessing user error as well. :lol:
LMAO ... what is with some people :lol: :mrgreen: ;) ;) :?

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Hope all goes well tomorrow buddy !

Expecting to see you online by tues evening at the latest ... c'mon you can still type with your right hand :mrgreen:

Let us know how you make out

Nutzy

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:54 am

Oh thanks, yeah, under the knife in 2.5 hours. Should be a 45 min outpatient procedure. My left arm is going to feel like a dead piece of meat hanging from my shoulder for the whole day, and I'll probably be hopped up on narcotics. Spending tonight at my Dad's.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:32 am

Good luck Aaron! You will be back mashing the keyboard with that cast in no time!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:50 pm

I survived. One-handed right now. Glad the new iOS 13 supports the Swype typing so I can drag my finger across the keys.

My left hand has no motor control right now. Yikes.

Got Percocet for the pain.

6DD7A7EA-3CD3-4A7C-9D31-435FBF233E84.jpeg
6DD7A7EA-3CD3-4A7C-9D31-435FBF233E84.jpeg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 686 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:30 am

Guess we'll have to start call'n ya Lefty, eh? ;)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 am

Well I'm a righty, though. Very lucky my right hand is fine. So that makes me always right. :mrgreen:

But if you call me right wing, then we have a problem. :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:53 am

Theres no excuse now not too see ya hanging out here all day now, what else can you do..right? LOL

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:24 am

Ha! Well I'm completing university and have one course left (right?) to graduate. I'll finally have an bachelor degree at age 45. Lol

So this last course requires a bit of reading, so I have time to do that now.

I check the electrical forum daily, and I probably will a couple times daily now because that's more interesting than Native American kinship systems. Lol

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Bachelor of swill drinking?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:54 am

Well I try to do better than swill, but I'll always take what's offered to me!

I actually think there might be formal education for beer-making!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:34 am

Aaron wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:54 am
Yep, more and more colleges are adding courses for brewing. Brewing isn't difficult, but there's a whole lot more too it than dumping stuff into a kettle.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:50 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:34 am
Aaron wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:54 am
Yep, more and more colleges are adding courses for brewing. Brewing isn't difficult, but there's a whole lot more too it than dumping stuff into a kettle.
Yeah, whatever ... I just drive over to the beer store :lol:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 pm

Aaron wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:52 am
Well I'm a righty, though. Very lucky my right hand is fine. So that makes me always right. :mrgreen:

But if you call me right wing, then we have a problem. :lol:
Riiiiiiiggght :mrgreen:

Hey, pssst ... ya wanna by an arm sling ???

:lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:30 pm

emtnut wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:50 pm
Yeah, whatever ... I just drive over to the beer store :lol:
Right? Lot of dudes get into making beer, it's a PITA that they soon figure out.
emtnut wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:51 pm
Riiiiiiiggght :mrgreen:

Hey, pssst ... ya wanna by an arm sling ???

:lol:
Who? Me?

8D385588-1934-4BF2-9F54-C468F155F311.jpeg
8D385588-1934-4BF2-9F54-C468F155F311.jpeg (19.92 KiB) Viewed 631 times

Dia

Post by Dia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:40 pm

IMG_20191111_135128.jpg
IMG_20191111_135128.jpg (107.24 KiB) Viewed 604 times
When this wire was bent inside the octagon, it was slightly exposed. Not pictured was the broken marrette with the twist wire exposed. I'm not a pro, but apparently neither was this electrician. Every light I go to change (that he/she did) is totally effed in one way or another. Do I just have the whole house inspected at this point?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Im not sure I would go to crazy hiring someone to inspect everything unless the things you found so far make you uncomfortable?
Any of us who own older homes (maybe homes in general?) would find something I'm sure.
Lets see what the "sparky" types think about this?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:36 pm

You could certainly inspect it all yourself at your leisure, and post pics here if you need an opinion.

That wire there is fine, it just has its outer clear film sheathing torn for a few centimeters. No big deal. That film just adds a bit of extra heat rating to the conductor, and it's largely intact. Just leave it be. Cut off the stripped and mangled end of the wire, re-strip about 15mm of fresh conductor, and re-splice with a fresh marrette. Use some lineman pliers to really grip all the conductors you're splicing to get good torque and form a good braid, then chop off the tip before twisting on the marrette.

Now I'm more worried about your thumbnail? Tell me that's chipping black nail polish and not some painful infection or wound in your nail bed!

Dia

Post by Dia » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 pm

Aaron wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:36 pm
You could certainly inspect it all yourself at your leisure, and post pics here if you need an opinion.

That wire there is fine, it just has its outer clear film sheathing torn for a few centimeters. No big deal. That film just adds a bit of extra heat rating to the conductor, and it's largely intact. Just leave it be. Cut off the stripped and mangled end of the wire, re-strip about 15mm of fresh conductor, and re-splice with a fresh marrette. Use some lineman pliers to really grip all the conductors you're splicing to get good torque and form a good braid, then chop off the tip before twisting on the marrette.

Now I'm more worried about your thumbnail? Tell me that's chipping black nail polish and not some painful infection or wound in your nail bed!
Will do!

Black!? That's clearly purple chipping! How's your left arm doing?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Dia wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 pm
Black!? That's clearly purple chipping! How's your left arm doing?
Oh I thought you were goth with black nails. Lol

Today I just got fitted with my long-term cast (4-5 weeks). It's fiberglass, so at least it's waterproof and I can shower without covering it.

That Ace bandage and splint thing I got out of surgery had more flex in case of swelling. It was getting pretty scuzzy after nearly a week of wearing it!

CF346DDB-CA4B-49AD-BFB3-E342D638E62D.jpeg
CF346DDB-CA4B-49AD-BFB3-E342D638E62D.jpeg (18.26 KiB) Viewed 587 times

Dia

Post by Dia » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Aaron wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Oh I thought you were goth with black nails. Lol

Today I just got fitted with my long-term cast (4-5 weeks). It's fiberglass, so at least it's waterproof and I can shower without covering it.

That Ace bandage and splint thing I got out of surgery had more flex in case of swelling. It was getting pretty scuzzy after nearly a week of wearing it!
I may as well be goth, it looks black.

Five weeks is brutal, I hear the itching is what makes you go mad 8-)

I assume this means all feeling is now accounted for once again?

Question for you guys: have you ever realized after the fact that you'd (potentially) made a mistake on a job and gone back to check/fix it?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:58 pm

Dia wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:49 pm
I may as well be goth, it looks black.
It almost looks like you took a Photoshop brush and put a black blob on your thumbnail in that pic. But then I wondered why you would ever do that. lol
Dia wrote:
Five weeks is brutal, I hear the itching is what makes you go mad 8-)
Yeah today is the first day I've really started to get irritated by how bulky and clumsy it is. :x

I do have finger dexterity so I can type, but the heel of my hand is elevated by the cast. I've been restricted to not lift anything heavier than 5 lbs/2.3 kg.

Haven't had any issues with itching yet. The NSAIDs I take regularly sort of prevent that, and if it becomes a problem they told me to run water through the cast.
Dia wrote:
I assume this means all feeling is now accounted for once again?
Yep, the nerve block they did before surgery was very strong. It didn't start to wear off until the next morning after the day I had surgery. I'll tell you, sleeping was close to impossible, I had this arm that felt like a dead weight. I had to keep it above my heart and iced.
Dia wrote:
Question for you guys: have you ever realized after the fact that you'd (potentially) made a mistake on a job and gone back to check/fix it?
I haven't made any critical mistakes that require a revisit, but I've certainly had retrospective thoughts where I would have approached a situation differently; used a better technique or more refined process.

Life is a never-ending learning process, and old dogs can always be taught new tricks.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:16 am

Dia wrote:
Mistakes? What are those?!?!?! :P :mrgreen:

I've made some boo-boos over the years, some big, some small, and always revisit them when warranted. What does that mean, I hear you wondering . . . :mrgreen: . . . It means that sometimes a boo-boo is either inconsequential or the homeowner just isn't that picky to warrant redoing the work. And, sometimes, even the smallest detail needs to be polished. Just depends on the client and the situation.

The million dollar question is, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!!!!! that would require such a line of questioning? :mrgreen: