The Official Useless Post Thread

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Aaron

Re: The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Oh, of course... he'd get the bone before the cat chase, obviously.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 pm

You have a dirty mind, my friend! :| :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:39 am

Sounds like you have a bone to pick. Did it get under your skin?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:11 am

You trying to pun your way out of this? :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:08 am

Puns always rib you don't they... I think they're pretty humerus.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:38 am

This thread has gone to the dogs :shock:
Attachments
!romp-been-three-manths-since-i-licked-my-balls-clap-24733137.png
!romp-been-three-manths-since-i-licked-my-balls-clap-24733137.png (96.81 KiB) Viewed 273 times
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 am

I still recall vividly seeing this classic "Far Side" (Gary Larson) comic when I was a young teen, and it was an early lesson in twisted humor.

68009B0D-83DC-4215-9601-F6B961D9A906.jpeg
68009B0D-83DC-4215-9601-F6B961D9A906.jpeg (121.66 KiB) Viewed 257 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:24 am

Next to Calvin and Hobbes, Larson/Far Side was my absolute favorite. I miss them both.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:48 am

Agreed 100%. Both were excellent cartoonists that ran their course.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:08 am

New topic:

What kind of lube are you guys using? :twisted: :lol:

No, seriously, what kind of engine oil are you using, conventional or synthetic? I've been giving thought for a long time to switch to synthetic, but I'm not sure it is worth the expense. What is your experience with it?

After a two month search, and literally hundreds of vehicles, I finally found a new truck yesterday. Not knowing the history of it I plan to change out ALL of the fluids from end to end and have a general inspection done by the mechanic. He's saying that synthetic oil is the way to go, especially with an older, higher mileage truck. It's an 03 Suburban, with 144,000 miles. :mrgreen:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:25 pm

That’s not bad mileage for an 03! Glad you found something . You are right though synthetic is likely the way to go to extend its life as long as possible.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DanM

Post by DanM » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:35 pm

My car (2012 Mazda 3) uses synthetic, and my previous car (200x Mazda 3) used conventional. Cost-wise it's basically the same but I prefer the synthetic because it's lazier. Oil changes cost twice as much, but I only have to do them half as often. IIRC it was every 5k KM or 3 months on the old car, and 10k KM or 6 months on the newer one.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:43 pm

It's going to be a daily driver, so it's not going to see any real "work" under my ownership. I will tow the occasional light utility trailer. I expect to only be driving 5 to 8K per year, so use will not be heavy or strenuous.

Of course, there will be the occasional stabbing of the throttle to get around those damn Prius drivers who can't do the speed limit. Ah, who am I kidding, you can't spit without hitting a Prius around here, so she's gonna get flogged regularly! :shock: :wink: :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Nice, that is very low mileage for an '03. Up here in the great north you'd worry about rust, but in Cali that should be a non-issue.

I don't deal with synthetics at all. I just figure 3K changes using conventional is fine. I get it done at a shop because the filter is in a ridiculous location in the '02 Ranger. Just easier to deal with if you stand in a pit and reach up, you have more leverage to unscrew the damn thing since it's buried.

I miss my '98 Sierra (same as Silverado), the oil change on that was a breeze. Once I earn more money I'll go truck shopping. I too like Suburbans.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:25 pm

I DIY my oil changes so I just buy whatever full synthetic is on sale at Crappy Tire and use that. As long as you're doing oil changes at the appropriate intervals you should be fine either way but synthetic is better. If you have a few hours free and want to entertain yourself on oil debates, see https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u ... um_summary

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:18 pm

The wisdom that I've always heard is that if you have an import and/or high performance engine, use synthetic. Otherwise for your basic GM/Ford domestic, just use conventional.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:30 pm

I definitely appreciate not having to worry about rust. I came across several north eastern state registered trucks and quickly dismissed them for that very reason.

When we started looking we were looking at the Yukon/Tahoe, which is the shorter version and easier to drive/maneuver. I got to looking at specs and the Suburban is actually 27" shorter wheelbase than our current Sierra, which is shorter than my '95 Sierra that was a long bed extended cab. The latter is what we thought the 'burb was based on, and it's not, so it's very easy to drive and maneuver. The only thing I'd prefer is if this were a GMC instead of a Chebby, just because I like them better. Reality is, other than the emblem, they're identical vehicles.

Admin, thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I get a chance. I'm on the fence whether to change to synthetic oil at this point.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:32 pm

New question, what kind of interior cleaners and protectants do you guys like for plastics, fabrics, and carpets? The new baby is extremely dirty and needs a thorough going over.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Suburbans have the same wheelbase as an extended cab Silverado with the short box 6.5 foot bed. Like 130" or something.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Crew cab long box is great! Nice to have an 8' bed.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:18 pm
The wisdom that I've always heard is that if you have an import and/or high performance engine, use synthetic. Otherwise for your basic GM/Ford domestic, just use conventional.
:shock: Refer to your owners manual, that would be the authority on what your year/make/model/engine requires. There's a lot of "wisdom" out there, but the folks that engineered your vehicle actually know what it's oil requirements are.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Aaron wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:16 pm
Suburbans have the same wheelbase as an extended cab Silverado with the short box 6.5 foot bed. Like 130" or something.
Nope! the truck is 157" wheelbase and the 'burb is 130". I was shocked, I always thought a 'burb was based at least on the short bed pickup, if not the long bed. Manufacturer specs proved that theory wrong. :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:23 am

Yeah that's what I said: 130 inches. Extended cab pickup. NOT a crew cab (4 door) which is maybe what you had.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:13 am

Nope! my '95 was an extended cab, not a crew cab, with a long bed, I don't know the wheelbase was, but it was easily two feet longer than the 02 I currently drive, which is an extended cab short bed and 157" wheelbase.

I'll pull up the spec sheets later and get the numbers. If you want to look for yourself, NADA.com has manufacturer specs on all vehicles out there.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 am

Yeah the long bed has a longer wheelbase for sure, since it's an 8 foot long bed. But the extended cab with 6.5' short bed has the same 130 inch wheelbase as a suburban. I've parked my old Sierra next to Suburbans and the wheels line up.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:01 am

Admin wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:46 pm
:shock: Refer to your owners manual, that would be the authority on what your year/make/model/engine requires. There's a lot of "wisdom" out there, but the folks that engineered your vehicle actually know what it's oil requirements are.
A buddy of mine who drives Mercedes has to get his oil changes at the dealer. The car requires "Mercedes oil" and service while the car is in warranty.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:54 am

Aaron wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 am
Yeah the long bed has a longer wheelbase for sure, since it's an 8 foot long bed. But the extended cab with 6.5' short bed has the same 130 inch wheelbase as a suburban. I've parked my old Sierra next to Suburbans and the wheels line up.
Nope! Manufacturers do not alter chassis very often, it's mostly sheet metal and trim that changes from year to year.

NADA.com lists the manufacturer specs. Using 03 as the example, here are the numbers. Unfortunately, they don't let you choose bed length, had to do some finagling to get there.

Truck - wheelbase - overall length
Reg cab short bed - 119" - 203"
Reg cab long bed - 133" - 222"
Ext cab short bed - 143" - 227"
Crew cab long bed - 167" - 256"
Yukon/Tahoe - 116" - 198"
Yukon XL/Suburban - 130" - 219"

My '95 extended cab Sierra was right at 21' long, and that is right in line with the crew cab length of 256" which is 21.4'. I can also tell you that when they changed the body style from the 90's era to the 00's, the cab/front clip dimensions changed to give more interior space, I can't say for certain if the chassis length changed.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:56 am

Admin wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:46 pm
Some of the new vehicles coming off the line are spec'd to have synthetic oil. I can't name them, but in this quest to understand the differences I've seen this tidbit in several locations. 8-)

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:30 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:08 am
New topic:

What kind of lube are you guys using? :twisted: :lol:

No, seriously, what kind of engine oil are you using, conventional or synthetic? I've been giving thought for a long time to switch to synthetic, but I'm not sure it is worth the expense. What is your experience with it?

After a two month search, and literally hundreds of vehicles, I finally found a new truck yesterday. Not knowing the history of it I plan to change out ALL of the fluids from end to end and have a general inspection done by the mechanic. He's saying that synthetic oil is the way to go, especially with an older, higher mileage truck. It's an 03 Suburban, with 144,000 miles. :mrgreen:
My last civic ('12) and my new one both call for synthetic. I've been using that and the special 'synthetic' oil filter. Both cost more than regular oil and filter.
Manual says (and onboard computer) that it only needs changing after 13000km. From what my son-in-law says (licensed mech), is the only difference is the synthetic doesn't break down as fast so it lasts longer. But there is still engine wear and tear, so the synthetic oil filters hold more junk.
I always change it WAY before the 13k ... that just seems wrong to me :shock:

I'd have to agree with the SIL . When I was at work we had a fleet of over 4000 cars/trucks/heavy equipment. Guys drove them hard, they were idled ALOT, and really had some high mileage on them.
It was extremely rare to have an engine failure. With the pickups, the only major thing were the damn under-engineered transmissions.
All the trucks used regular oil/filter, but were serviced on time - every time.

I have an '03 Dodge with 205000km, and an '05 blazer with 290000km. Just change the oil every 6k on it. Purrs like a kitten :mrgreen:
I know they have regular oil for 'high mileage' engines. Probably has some more additives in it ... who knows if it will help thou.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:42 am

emtnut wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:30 am
I have an '03 Dodge with 205000km, and an '05 blazer with 290000km. Just change the oil every 6k on it. Purrs like a kitten :mrgreen:
I know they have regular oil for 'high mileage' engines. Probably has some more additives in it ... who knows if it will help thou.
While trying to knock back a layer of filth yesterday I found the receipt for the last oil change, about 2K ago. They used "high mileage" engine oil. I'm willing to bet that the price difference between "high mileage" conventional oil and synthetic is minimal. I'm heavily leaning now to going with synthetic, the most that will happen is that it will uncover an existing problem that would be better to address now than at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. :lol:

I am religious about maintenance and have no doubt that any vehicle that I own from new off the lot will live a long and healthy life. Buying someone else's baby I don't have that same level of confidence, hence why this thing is going to get every fluid changed and a full health inspection. I think this is a good truck that will need some minor maintenance to get it tip top. We shall see what the mechanic has to say on Wednesday. 8-)