The Official Useless Post Thread

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
emtnut

Re: The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by emtnut » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:14 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:42 am

While trying to knock back a layer of filth yesterday I found the receipt for the last oil change, about 2K ago. They used "high mileage" engine oil. I'm willing to bet that the price difference between "high mileage" conventional oil and synthetic is minimal. I'm heavily leaning now to going with synthetic, the most that will happen is that it will uncover an existing problem that would be better to address now than at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. :lol:

I am religious about maintenance and have no doubt that any vehicle that I own from new off the lot will live a long and healthy life. Buying someone else's baby I don't have that same level of confidence, hence why this thing is going to get every fluid changed and a full health inspection. I think this is a good truck that will need some minor maintenance to get it tip top. We shall see what the mechanic has to say on Wednesday. 8-)
Begs the question .. "what are you doing in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night" ... but I'm afraid that you might answer, so I won't ask :lol: :shock:

If you do go with synthetic, I'd still stick to the normal change intervals, and not go with their claims of 2x the mileage

Transmission flush and filter, coolant flush would be on my list.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:45 pm

emtnut wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:14 pm
Begs the question .. "what are you doing in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night" ... but I'm afraid that you might answer, so I won't ask :lol: :shock:
Burying the bodies you leave behind . . . :| :? :shock: :lol: :lol:
emtnut wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:14 pm
If you do go with synthetic, I'd still stick to the normal change intervals, and not go with their claims of 2x the mileage

Transmission flush and filter, coolant flush would be on my list.
Yeah, I'm hearing this from other sources as well, mostly that the 2x thing really isn't viable due to most driving conditions. The first time through I'll definitely stick to the usual interval, subsequent oil changes I might be inclined to go a little longer based on what it looks like. Engines are expensive, I really don't feel like buying one! LOL

Yep, every fluid is getting changed, tranny/filter, oil/filter, coolant, power steering, differential, and I'm heavily leaning to the brake fluid as well. I think the brakes are close to needing replacement, so I will probably wait on flushing that system for now. We'll see what the inspection report says.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Also grease the bearings if they are not the perm sealed type.

I had a replacement U-joint installed in my Blazer and it required grease. Worthwhile checking for.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Found something kind of cool, no pun intended, with the 'burb. There are separate heater controls for the passenger and driver. On a down note, there are no cabin air filters on neither the main HVAC in the front, nor the auxilliary HVAC in the back of the truck which is kind of a bummer.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:36 pm

Sure has been quiet around here lately. You guys hunkered down waiting out blizzards or something?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Ya it’s been quiet right across the forum. Not sure if it’s linked but much of Canada has been in the deep freeze this month
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 pm

We had our cold snap a week ago, now we're in a deluge of rain, very heavy. We're over our average by a few inches now, great news for the reservoirs of this drought ridden state.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:10 am

We are buried in snow and deep freeze in Minn. This month has been the record snowiest February of all time for us (we beat the record handily), and the 4th snowiest month *ever* in at least 129 years of record-keeping. Another cold snap on its way this weekend, so March will go in like a lion as it usually does.

We nearly got an average winter's worth of snow just this month alone! It's been just nuts after a very mild January before that polar vortex attack.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:25 am

A common occurrence here is for a cold snap that drops snow levels to 1000 feet, followed by a really warm rain that washes all the snow below 7000 feet out of the mountains. The result is a whole lot of flooding. I was busy for over 6 months doing flood work in 2000 when we had major flooding.

For some reason, people around here think it's a good idea to build houses INSIDE the river levy, so when the river rises, they get wet, sometimes REALLY wet! We're only 65 feet above sea level, so when our rivers swell, there's no place for them to run but over their banks.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:53 am

We have been cold here since the beginning of Feb. We got more snow then all the rest of winter but not extreme amounts. The cold and extreme overnight wind chills most days have been horrible. Looks like we have a warm up coming for March (daytime highs of around -8C 17F to -18C 0F ) still below average for here. HURRY UP SPRING!!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:43 am

I thought it got quiet 'cause Sprucy was out cruising in his new truck :mrgreen:

We got alot of cold here in Jan too. Feb was very cold, we got a lot of that arctic air as well. But we also got a few warming periods with the Atlantic storms coming up here. They dump a foot or 2 of snow on us.
It seems we're on the verge of the 'jetstream' , so we get -30 for a few nights, then snow,ice rain or rain for a day or 2.

Out in Orleans (east of Ottawa), a bunch of kids were playing hockey on the road ... WITH skates :lol:

I could do the same in my laneway right now, it's a rink (I don't like to salt the laneway). Rained here on Mon or Tues, lows on Wed and Today were -28 and -25.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 am

Oof! That's way too much cold and snow! It's pretty and fun to play in once in a while, but I sure don't want to live in it.

Got the truck back from the mechanic yesterday with with new fluids coursing through its veins and a clean bill of health. Time to put this baby to work!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:51 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 am
Got the truck back from the mechanic yesterday with with new fluids coursing through its veins and a clean bill of health. Time to put this baby to work!
Post a pic of it!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:28 pm

It's a little too dark and gloomy for pix at the moment, but I'll get some soon. 8-)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:35 am

A little something for my snowbound northern brethren. :lol:

Warning: language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmiuhGwwbgk

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:42 am

GOLD!!!!!!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:45 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:35 am
You took the words right out of my mouth :lol:

I'm going to send that to a couple of my buddies ... They are both avid sledders, and are loving all the snow. .... I don't approve :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 pm

I am snow weary. My city is having its sixth snow emergency plowing in the last 5 weeks. Now we're going to have record cold temps starting Sunday. It's relentless. I need a vacation.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:05 pm

that is awesome! sharing that for sure!

DanM

Post by DanM » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:50 am

Aaron wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:25 pm
I am snow weary. My city is having its sixth snow emergency plowing in the last 5 weeks. Now we're going to have record cold temps starting Sunday. It's relentless. I need a vacation.
Feeling the same here. My backyard is basically a 4ft deep box of snow surrounded by fences. My driveway is a disaster. It's a 5-6" slab of ice on top of asphalt and I can't find salt anywhere. We've got a major salt shortage in the city, I've checked nearly a dozen stores repeatedly over the past month and they're all sold out. I tried some really expensive 'de-icer' that basically did three things: Sweet, F, All. I've been having to get out my rotary hammer and jack hammering the end of my driveway, there was a 12" ice berm there from the plows. Then overnight the plows come by again and throw a bunch more crap up there which freezes into another ice berm. Rinse and repeat that once or twice a week for the past month and a half and I'm getting really tired of it. I usually don't complain about winter but it just sucks so hard spending 2-3 hours jack hammering your driveway and seeing snow in the forecast and having that sinking feeling that the minute the plow goes by it's going to undo all the work.

And that's just my house. I do most of the layout stuff at work which means shovelling and scraping ice off foundations and subfloors so I can chalk. So anytime it snows I not only have to deal with my own ice, I get to feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that tomorrow at work I get to do it all over again there.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:12 am

Oh man, jack hammering ice berms? You can't tell me that's a normal thing to do. lol

This has been a rough one. Despite an unseasonably cold November, the winter started out relatively mild but late Jan and early Feb have absolutely sucked a$$hole.

We've been just clobbered with snow. I'd say we're probably about 3 feet deep or so, and worse on the boulevards where plows have created mountains of snow. My back yard:

79FD18B0-149B-4341-AE93-4D6A755A4DB1.jpeg
79FD18B0-149B-4341-AE93-4D6A755A4DB1.jpeg (104.76 KiB) Viewed 270 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:06 am

Yes we have had some pretty mild winters here locally over the last 5 yrs and it is a tough reality to see cold and snow like we have been having now.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:38 am

We're just getting a lot of rain, I mean a LOT. This is what the local paper had to say yesterday.
The National Weather Service reported historic rain in downtown on Wednesday where more than 2 1/2 inches of rain fell, outstripping a previous daily record set in 1940.

The deluge also helped push February 2019 up to the sixth-wettest in history. With 11 days of rainfall in February, close to 9 inches of rain has fallen downtown, which has one of the oldest recording stations in the city, according to data from the NOAA Regional Climate Centers. A normal February sees just over 3 inches of rain.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:48 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:38 am
We're just getting a lot of rain, I mean a LOT. This is what the local paper had to say yesterday.
The National Weather Service reported historic rain in downtown on Wednesday where more than 2 1/2 inches of rain fell, outstripping a previous daily record set in 1940.

The deluge also helped push February 2019 up to the sixth-wettest in history. With 11 days of rainfall in February, close to 9 inches of rain has fallen downtown, which has one of the oldest recording stations in the city, according to data from the NOAA Regional Climate Centers. A normal February sees just over 3 inches of rain.
That is significant! I see there has been lots of flooding and mud slides.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 am

I actually haven't heard too much about flooding or slides, though, that's obviously very common with this quantity of rain. I don't watch the news, so I don't hear about a lot of things! :lol:

A few years ago we had a massive slide up in the hills that took out the highway and plugged up a heavy flowing creek. When the creek finally found it's way through, THAT was a mess for a whole lot of people.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:07 am

The major downside to all this rain is the vegetation growth that turns into wildfire tinder by the end of April/May. Speaking of wildfires, that's probably where a lot of the slides and flooding is occurring right now.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:28 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:35 am

Warning: language
The only thing this video is missing is ...... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fpVNhiqKQ

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:10 pm

Ha ha ha, I'm surprised that video is still up. SNL is *very* aggressive as taking down bootleg posts of their content.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 pm

I think all the snow is starting to get to Aaron and Nutzy! :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7CZPpJ2uI

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:01 am

No, seriously, I really think the cold is getting to Aaron!!!!! :o :?
cold.jpg
cold.jpg (50.54 KiB) Viewed 233 times