The Official Useless Post Thread

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Dia

Re: The Official Useless Post Thread

Post by Dia » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Did you guys camp much/at all this summer?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:37 pm

I quit camping a few years ago, it wasn't enjoyable anymore, mostly due to the company.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:49 am

My wife and myself along with good friends are camping right now. We camp about 2-3 weeks every summer. Nothing like sitting around the fire every night enjoying good company.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:35 pm

How old is too old when it comes to trailer tires? Seems like anything more than 8 or 10 years old on a vehicle people start getting paranoid, I would assume a similar age for trailers too?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 pm

A buddy of mine has a boat on the St Croix river, so we hang out and chill on the boat and I will often spend the night in one of the berths. Sort of like camping?

Except there's creature comforts and no bugs and TV/movies. lol

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:35 pm
How old is too old when it comes to trailer tires? Seems like anything more than 8 or 10 years old on a vehicle people start getting paranoid, I would assume a similar age for trailers too?
It seems the sun is worse on them then the mileage in many cases around here. We have many parks and lakes within 4 hrs and many people don’t go further then that but the trailers sit with tire exposed to the the sun and the side walls will get bad. We purchased a new to use 2012 trailer last year and the tread was like new but the sidewalks where completely checked and weathered. New tires went in cause a blow out on the highway can ruin a trailer the way they are made now.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:54 am

Aaron wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 pm
A buddy of mine has a boat on the St Croix river, so we hang out and chill on the boat and I will often spend the night in one of the berths. Sort of like camping?

Except there's creature comforts and no bugs and TV/movies. lol
Oh don’t get me wrong “camping” for me is cabin trailer and some creature comforts for sure. I camped in a tent as a kid and that is really not for me anymore

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Yeah I guess that is more of the mainstream idea of camping in the modern era.

I just remember pitching the tent with my mom and dad at campgrounds and doing rustic camping as a kid and thinking it sucked pretty bad at the time, especially when it was hot out or when it rained. We only did it like 4 times I think, so it was more of an experience thing I guess. Maybe they felt guilty they never sent me to boy scouts. Lol

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 pm

I grew up on acreage, and we kids would camp up on the hill whenever we wanted, fun times. I can't recall ever camping as a family, not my mom's idea of fun.

As an adult, I used to camp every year with my current roommate, that ended around 2015 when I couldn't stand to be around her anymore. :lol: I'm still game for rough camping, as long as it's with the right company.

BTW, by "rough camping", I don't mean "roughing it" by any means! Tent, double air mattress, great food, lots of beer, and a water source of some sort, stream, river, lake, doesn't matter, just has to be water. I prefer rough camping over campgrounds because I go out into the wilderness to get away from my neighbors, not bring them with me camping. I go until the truck can't go any further, then set up camp with as many luxuries as possible. If I could get a 40' motorhome into the wilderness I'd take that! :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Yeah, not campgrounds per se. We lived in Idaho briefly so we camped near the Snake River as I recall. I don't remember too much, it was like 1980-81.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:51 pm

Ya derned young'n! :roll: :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:27 pm

I don’t mind the campground in parks as long as the sites are not side cause and wide open to each other. Here is mine right now.
Not sure if picture will load out here?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Unfortunately, camping around here means being loud and obnoxious, whether that's yellnig and screaming or noisy vehicles or stereos at full tilt. Which is why I avoid campgrounds and being near anyone when I go out into the sticks. I go out there to get away from these idiots! :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:43 am

Oh that's really bad. :o I never had to deal with that noise. I said "campground" carelessly, the only one's I've experienced are spaced apart enough where you never see/hear anyone else.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm

I have decent signal now ,here is picture.
juEnHQMERLC0tY8F5GqVZA.jpg
juEnHQMERLC0tY8F5GqVZA.jpg (239.59 KiB) Viewed 529 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:57 pm

That's pretty much my idea of camping! :lol:

My buddy gives me poop about the amount of stuff I take out. I've got a tent with air mattresses and such and I've got two screen rooms, one for the cooking tent to keep the sun and bugs out of the food area, and one for the eating area, again, to keep bugs and sun off diners. Around here, bugs are really only bad at dusk and dawn, hence, the screen rooms, the rest of the time you can comfortably sit around the campfire or play in the outdoors without too much bother.

"Rough" camping doesn't mean roughing it, it only means I don't go to designated camp areas. Beyond that, we eat very well, drink very well, and generally have a great time . . . so long as my buddy and his girlfriend don't take us on a death march! LOL I'm there to sit and drink beer and enjoy the quiet of nature, you go hiking all you want, I'll be sitting right here waiting for ya to get back.

On one particular outing, I took a 5 gallon keg and he was worried that we wouldn't be able to finish it over the weekend . . . three of us to start, four people by the second day . . . it was nearly gone by the end of night one. Gotta love friends who worry about beer going to waste! LOL :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Yeah I would camp in a heartbeat with that rig, that looks nice. I mean the who point is being out in nature, drinking copious amounts of beer, and having a clean bed to sleep in. I love summertime.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:47 pm

I don't mind tent sleeping at all, but I do appreciate a clean place to cook, shower, and potty. I actually have a huge tote bin that I store the sleeping bags in, which doubles for a bathtub. I have a turkey fryer that is used to heat the water. Not only does it feel great to get cleaned up after a dirty/dusty day in the Cali hills, but it also gets you nice and toasty warm on those chilly nights.

If I continue camping, I'll be devising a heating system for the tent via the camp fire. Why suffer if you don't have to? LOL

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Yeah I just don't like bugs or crawly things. Not to mention bears. Lol

Yeah potty is definitely a critical aspect not to be overlooked. Lol

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:19 pm

We've never had a problem with critters when camping. We were in a campground a few years ago and the neighbors took a day trip and got caught in road closures due to fires and didn't make it back to camp. The raccoons had a field day with the food and garbage that night.

Other than that, we've had the occasional deer or skunk walk through camp, but never had any problems with them getting into food or with larger critters like bear or mountain lion, both of which we have in the area we normally camp.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:21 pm

Good to know close friends with a trailer, though. I only camped in a trailer once and it was just like the aforementioned boat experience above and it was great.

The tent thing is too rustic for me. I feel like I need quality rest so I can enjoy where I am. Lol

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Aaron wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:21 pm
The tent thing is too rustic for me. I feel like I need quality rest so I can enjoy where I am. Lol
As do I! We used to have a couple foam pads or those roll-up "inflatable" mattresses for backpacking. One night too many laying on boulders sent us on a day long mission to find an actual air mattress. What a frick'n difference! Way more comfortable, but then we found that we were cold, not sure why, but the single mattress seemed to transmit cold, so we bought a second mattress and stack them and it's just as comfy as your bed at home! It's awesome!

I said it before, I'll say it again, "rough" camping does not mean roughing it in any way, shape, or form! My bed is comfy, my food prep area is bug free, I've got a second screen room if I need a bug free sitting area. My chair is comfy and the beer is kept ice cold!

On the topic of camping and food, what's your idea of camping food? We have a propane stove to cook on, so eggs and hash browns or pancakes are the normal breakfast. Dinners can be as simple as a salad or grilling a steak over the open fire. I've got a whole menu list of stuff to choose from. I do as much of the prep work at home as possible to make camping meals faster and easier. Good food is as important as plentiful beer and good sleep. 8-)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:06 pm

Same. I guess non-rough might be having air conditioning, heat, running water, power, and a bed with sheets and blankets. Lol

I don't sleep well in a sleeping bag, never have. I feel tied up in the damn thing.

Air mattress is an absolute MUST for a tent, of course. Unless you enjoy orthopedic visits.

I'm not too fussy for food. Burgers, dogs, beans, potato salad is fine by me. I've even started drinking domestic beer now, I am on a craft beer diet to save money, calories, and not get all buzzed to early.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:31 pm

We make up the air mattresses like a regular bed. The sleeping bags are usually just blankets, though we can zip two of them together for a queen sized, draft free pocket when the temps head south! :mrgreen:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Ya good wise we are pretty simple for the most part. Maybe a muffin for breakfast, lunch some days (mostly snacks from 10-3 anyways!) burgers, steak, tube steaks, fresh fish, potato salad, beans whatever. Snacks around fire at night. Oh and it can be 5 o’clock all day if need be!😉.
Tonight we did our annual deep fry night with friends. Pickles, chicken, fish, taters, onion rings, little pizza bites. Wow it is a great deep fried meal!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:23 am

Shannon wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm
I have decent signal now ,here is picture.
Looks like a nice spot !

Did someone trash the place last night with Rider Nation flags thou ?? Is this an ongoing issue ??
:mrgreen: :lol: ;)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:44 pm

I wikipedia'ed the riders. They're the oldest football club on the continent so that says a lot!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Well let’s just point at last nights scoreboard from the CFL game! Lol. Most of us truly “bleed green” out here.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Got a chuckle out of this today.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Whoooah. :o That is harsh. :lol: