Cutting laminate counter top

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
golfpdx8

Cutting laminate counter top

Post by golfpdx8 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 am

20170524_180738[1].jpg
20170524_180738[1].jpg (403.9 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Hi Shannon,

I purchased a piece of laminated counter top that needs to be cut square on both ends. One end will needs to be finished with laminate and the other end will go against a wall.

Can you tell me how best to accomplish this without destroying the top.

Thank you,
Neil

Shannon

Re: Laminate counter top

Post by Shannon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:46 am

You can flip it upside down and clamp a straight edge as a guild to it the use a circular saw to trim it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

golfpdx8

Post by golfpdx8 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:38 am

Is there anything special that I need to do to attach laminate to the finished end?

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:17 am

It needs to be as perfectly flat as you can make it. If you do well with the saw or if it's an undamaged factory end that will be good enough. End caps are either glued on with contact cement or ironed on with a clothes iron. After that and before setting the top in place, trim the excess laminate with a flush-cutting bit in a router. Should be plenty of vids on doing this if Shannon doesn't have one already ;)

Slow and careful with only very sharp tools is the rule for countertop work.
Phil

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:53 am

Mastercarpentry wrote:Slow and careful with only very sharp tools is the rule for countertop work.
Phil

This can't be stressed enough. Laminate is very brittle, it chips very easily. By cutting from the back you won't get chips. Your saw blade should be brand new. Even with a new blade you will likely need to clean up the cut a little bit with a belt sander. Work carefully, keeping the edge perpendicular to the surface and the length of the edge as straight and true as possible.

If you borrow your wife's clothing iron, borrow some of her parchment paper too, to keep from scratching the base of the iron and getting gummed with glue. I picked up my own iron from the thrift store, as well as a hair dryer, for my construction needs, because a happy wife is a happy life! :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.