Fads

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Aaron

Fads

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Figure it would be fun to identify some homebuilding and remodeling fads seen in the past and what you predict are fads now.

I thought granite countertops were a fad when they took off like a rocket in the early to mid 2000s. Boy was I wrong. They are the new normal for countertops. You see them in apartments!

Now what *was* a fad were vessel sinks. Those came and went between 2007 and 2013, I'd say.

A. Spruce

Re: Fads

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Interesting that you figured stone/granite tops would be a fad, those have always been distinctively upper end tops. Heck, Corian owes its existence to those who wanted stone but couldn't afford it. Now even Formica manufacturers are simulating stone.

I couldn't agree more with vessel sinks, I've always hated those things! I've known many people who have installed them, only to get rid of them within a short period of time. In fact, I'd try to talk any client who wanted one NOT to do it, I wouldn't stand in their way if it's what they truly wanted, but usually, once the inherent problems were explained, they'd choose a standard sink. I don't like top mounted sinks for many of the same reasons.

I've never been a fan of specimen walls, that's where you paint one wall in the room a dramatic color. If you want color in the room, hang some drapes or put up some artwork. There's a reason that white, taupe (antique white ), and light blues are classic colors.

Let's see, can we name every offensive DIY/flipper show on TV for teaching people bad BAD things? Do these count as fads? LOL
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Yeah I just didn't understand (and still don't, really) how seriously people now take their kitchens. With so many restaurants and breweries and dining out, who needs a huge kitchen?

Interestingly you will never find any of those surface materials (save for maybe marble, and only a portable slab of it) in foodservice kitchens. They use stainless steel, which is what only passes muster with NSF.

I remember in the 80s, centralized vacuum cleaner ports were the rage. Upscale homes were plumbed with wall "inlets" to connect a hose and brush to vacuum.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Yes totally, those dumb cable shows are terrible. There's maybe like 5% useful information if you watch like 20 shows in a row. Not worth it. lol

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:14 pm

A. Spruce wrote:Let's see, can we name every offensive DIY/flipper show on TV for teaching people bad BAD things? Do these count as fads? LOL
Aaron wrote:Yes totally, those dumb cable shows are terrible. There's maybe like 5% useful information if you watch like 20 shows in a row. Not worth it. lol
Do people still watch traditional TV? I find YouTube much more valuable, and for more than just DIY type content.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Aaron wrote:Yeah I just didn't understand (and still don't, really) how seriously people now take their kitchens. With so many restaurants and breweries and dining out, who needs a huge kitchen?

Interestingly you will never find any of those surface materials (save for maybe marble, and only a portable slab of it) in foodservice kitchens. They use stainless steel, which is what only passes muster with NSF.

I remember in the 80s, centralized vacuum cleaner ports were the rage. Upscale homes were plumbed with wall "inlets" to connect a hose and brush to vacuum.
In the last decade or so, interest in food has really grown. I think it has been attributed to Instagram and everyone taking pix of their food and posting to the ethos. I don't get that, but, whatever blows your skirt up, right? :mrgreen: I've never been into food, but I do like good food and I like clean handling and preparation of that food. I've been in the kitchens of many a restaurant and can say, eating off a toilet seat is probably more sanitary than most commercial kitchens. They are truly that gross. So, with that, I have taken over all the cooking duties and would love nothing more than a top of the line kitchen. I'm not sure about stone tops, their pretty to look at, but not sure how much I'd like the maintenance and general use of one.

Ah, the central vacuum cleaner! Their major downfall is loss of suction after pulling air through 100+ feet of pipe and tubing. The idea is nice, it keeps all the dust and odors generally associated with vacuums out of the house, but so far, standard, higher end vacuum cleaners are the way to go. I used to review vacuums, so I know a thing or two about them. :mrgreen:

I can't even watch the DIY crap anymore. It used to be interesting, now it is all made up drama and shoddy workmanship with super cheap materials. There's been a number of complaints about Extreme House Make-over and others about the plethora of problems the homes have after being ransacked by these shows. Heck, TOH used to be a decent show, now it's virtually unwatchable. The only show worth its salt is Home Time, Dean Johnson has done a really good job with that one. 8-)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Admin wrote:
A. Spruce wrote:Let's see, can we name every offensive DIY/flipper show on TV for teaching people bad BAD things? Do these count as fads? LOL
Aaron wrote:Yes totally, those dumb cable shows are terrible. There's maybe like 5% useful information if you watch like 20 shows in a row. Not worth it. lol
Do people still watch traditional TV? I find YouTube much more valuable, and for more than just DIY type content.
YT is my place of choice for general entertainment or DIY information as well. I do enjoy Chopped and Iron Chef or a little Cutthroat Kitchen for a little fun. :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Admin wrote:Do people still watch traditional TV? I find YouTube much more valuable, and for more than just DIY type content.
Yes, I know people who totally still watch cable and TiVo their shows. It's insane. They like to just sit down and zone out.

I havent had a TV in years. My Mac is my TV. lol

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:54 pm

A. Spruce wrote:In the last decade or so, interest in food has really grown. I think it has been attributed to Instagram and everyone taking pix of their food and posting to the ethos. I don't get that, but, whatever blows your skirt up, right? :mrgreen: I've never been into food, but I do like good food and I like clean handling and preparation of that food.
You're right, plus the Food channel was hugely popular. I think that's died down a lot in the last 4-5 years.
I've been in the kitchens of many a restaurant and can say, eating off a toilet seat is probably more sanitary than most commercial kitchens. They are truly that gross. So, with that, I have taken over all the cooking duties and would love nothing more than a top of the line kitchen. I'm not sure about stone tops, their pretty to look at, but not sure how much I'd like the maintenance and general use of one.
Yeah, a fun (and sobering) show to watch is Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Filthy restaurant kitchens with spoiled and rotten food. It's unbelievable.

I've heard that a restaurant's restroom is indicative of how clean their kitchen is. If they can keep a clean restroom, you can probably surmise safely that their kitchen is also clean.
Ah, the central vacuum cleaner! Their major downfall is loss of suction after pulling air through 100+ feet of pipe and tubing. The idea is nice, it keeps all the dust and odors generally associated with vacuums out of the house, but so far, standard, higher end vacuum cleaners are the way to go. I used to review vacuums, so I know a thing or two about them.
HEPAs are the way to go, I've heard. Best at controlling allergens.
I can't even watch the DIY crap anymore. It used to be interesting, now it is all made up drama and shoddy workmanship with super cheap materials. There's been a number of complaints about Extreme House Make-over and others about the plethora of problems the homes have after being ransacked by these shows. Heck, TOH used to be a decent show, now it's virtually unwatchable. The only show worth its salt is Home Time, Dean Johnson has done a really good job with that one. 8-)
Yeah I was watching some TOH shorts on YouTube and they gloss over so much. I like Tom Silva though.

Their electrician kind of pisses me off. His work doesn't match the quality and craft of the other guys on that show.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Aaron wrote:You're right, plus the Food channel was hugely popular. I think that's died down a lot in the last 4-5 years.
I don't know about that, there's way too many food shows out there now, and Food Network has "Next FN Star", which is the America Got No Talent of the Food Network! :lol:
Aaron wrote:Yeah, a fun (and sobering) show to watch is Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Filthy restaurant kitchens with spoiled and rotten food. It's unbelievable.

I've heard that a restaurant's restroom is indicative of how clean their kitchen is. If they can keep a clean restroom, you can probably surmise safely that their kitchen is also clean.
Yeah, Kitchen Nightmares is a tough one to watch. I've heard that most of these failing restaurants ultimately do fail, whether they adhere to the advice of the host or not. Ramsey isn't the only one with such a show, it's only the slightly less offensive of the lot! :? :mrgreen:

I've heard the same restroom thing as well, and probably pretty apt. I had a friend that worked for a food service delivery company, so he was in most of the kitchens around town. There were only two or three places in this city of roughly 1 million populace that he'd eat at, and I know he was NOT that discerning, so it gives you an idea of just how bad most kitchens are.
Aaron wrote:HEPAs are the way to go, I've heard. Best at controlling allergens.
Well, yes and no. If the vacuum is well made and sealed properly, the a HEPA filter is the next best thing since sliced bread, but, because "HEPA" is a hot phrase, every vacuum manufacturer is putting them on their machines. Trust me when I say, if you're paying less than $300 for your vacuum, HEPA doesn't mean anything. Same thing when Dyson came out with their cyclonic vacuum, the first thing that the super cheap brands did was to copy Dyson's clear canister and slap "cyclonic" on the side of the machine, when in fact, there is absolutely nothing cyclonic about them. I can go into more detail here if you're interested, but don't want to derail the conversation inadvertently. 8-)
Aaron wrote:Yeah I was watching some TOH shorts on YouTube and they gloss over so much. I like Tom Silva though.

Their electrician kind of pisses me off. His work doesn't match the quality and craft of the other guys on that show.
Yeah, well, you know how them sparkies can be! :? :roll: ;) ;) :lol: The biggest problem I have with TOH is that they've gone from being a DIY show about old/Victorian homes of their namesake, to over the top, big budget builds that 99% of their viewership could never afford. You can blame Bob Vila for that transition from DIY to contractor builds, and TOH itself for getting ever and ever further away from where they started. Granted, life is an evolution, but TOH went from saving old houses to total refurbishment of McMansions. Again, why I so like Home Time and Dean Johnson's work, which strives to assist the DIY'r with projects they can tackle for themselves and when it's more prudent to call in the pros, as well as how to navigate the DIT to Pro rapids from A to Z.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:11 am

A. Spruce wrote:I don't know about that, there's way too many food shows out there now, and Food Network has "Next FN Star", which is the America Got No Talent of the Food Network! :lol:
Yeah I'm way out of the loop on that. Couldn't care less. lol I *hate* reality-entertainment shows. Pure garbage. There are so many great FICTION shows by great writers that deserve my attention far more.
A. Spruce wrote:Yeah, Kitchen Nightmares is a tough one to watch. I've heard that most of these failing restaurants ultimately do fail, whether they adhere to the advice of the host or not. Ramsey isn't the only one with such a show, it's only the slightly less offensive of the lot! :? :mrgreen:
Yeah I've heard they eventually fail too. Because, of course, they weren't able to maintain discipline.
A. Spruce wrote:I had a friend that worked for a food service delivery company, so he was in most of the kitchens around town. There were only two or three places in this city of roughly 1 million populace that he'd eat at, and I know he was NOT that discerning, so it gives you an idea of just how bad most kitchens are.
Yeah there are some places that I go to where I maintain blissful ignorance of the kitchens, and I know I maybe shouldn't. We have antibodies, right? My immunizations are current, I think. lol
A. Spruce wrote:I can go into more detail [about vacuum cleaners] here if you're interested, but don't want to derail the conversation inadvertently. 8-)
I'll PM you if I am ever in the market. I don't have carpet, except in the hallway. I use a 15-year-old Shark that I got for like $100 at Best Buy back in 2002 and it works fine. It does claim to have "cyclonic action", but whatever. It sucks. In a good way.
A. Spruce wrote:Yeah, well, you know how them sparkies can be! :? :roll: ;) ;) :lol: The biggest problem I have with TOH is that they've gone from being a DIY show about old/Victorian homes of their namesake, to over the top, big budget builds that 99% of their viewership could never afford.
Yeah it's ridiculous. It's still somewhat interesting but it could be so much MORE interesting, that is the frustrating aspect of it. They undoubtedly cater to a much wider audience than they used to as well, not to mention appeasing all the sponsors they have.
A. Spruce wrote:You can blame Bob Vila for that transition from DIY to contractor builds, and TOH itself for getting ever and ever further away from where they started.
Was there a host of TOH before Bob Vila? I grew up watching Vila. I never cared much for the host that replaced him. Steve something or other.
A. Spruce wrote:Granted, life is an evolution, but TOH went from saving old houses to total refurbishment of McMansions. Again, why I so like Home Time and Dean Johnson's work, which strives to assist the DIY'r with projects they can tackle for themselves and when it's more prudent to call in the pros, as well as how to navigate the DIT to Pro rapids from A to Z.
It's been YEARS since I watched Home Time. I'll have to dig up some episodes or see if they're on YouTube.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:50 am

Aaron wrote:I *hate* reality-entertainment shows. Pure garbage.
There is no "reality" in reality TV. :roll: Even the semi-interesting shows are unwatchable for all the made up drama and "acting" going on. I like Gold Rush, because I'm a huge fan of heavy equipment. I love watching it work and even better to watch when it's being repaired, not that I like break-downs, but seeing how things are put together and work is interesting to me. The problem is, these not actors that are not acting in these not scripted sequences are unwatchable due to all the scripting and bad acting by individuals that are not actors! LOL :lol: :lol: Hell, it's hard to watch actual actors acting most of the time! :mrgreen:
Aaron wrote:I *hate* reality-entertainment shows. Pure garbage. There are so many great FICTION shows by great writers that deserve my attention far more.
A. Spruce wrote:Yeah there are some places that I go to where I maintain blissful ignorance of the kitchens, and I know I maybe shouldn't. We have antibodies, right? My immunizations are current, I think. lol
What's a little lock jaw between friends, right? :lol:
Aaron wrote:I'll PM you if I am ever in the market. I don't have carpet, except in the hallway. I use a 15-year-old Shark that I got for like $100 at Best Buy back in 2002 and it works fine. It does claim to have "cyclonic action", but whatever. It sucks. In a good way.
Any time, my friend. 8-) Shark was actually a surprise for me, while I believe that it is marketed as way more than it actually is, though it is not a bad machine for what it is or it's price point. It's the only $150-$200 vacuum that can actually compete with it's full-sized and higher priced brethren. The thing to keep in mind with ALL vacuums is that if you can smell them, they are either leaking profusely or the filters are in need of cleaning or a change. You should not be able to smell a vacuum when it is running, otherwise all you're doing is moving the dust and dirt from the floor to the air, which will settle out on everything else in the house.
Aaron wrote:Was there a host of TOH before Bob Vila? I grew up watching Vila. I never cared much for the host that replaced him. Steve something or other.
No, TOH and Bob Vila started together. Bill Moran, I think, is the name of the guy that came up with the TOH idea and Vila was the host. Over the course of Vila's reign, he changed the format from DIY to contractor based repairs. After Vila TOH continued to evolve with more contractor involvement. I think that Norm Abram took over for a short period after Vila because Vila left due to a contract dispute. At that time, it came out that Vila was somewhat less than a competent and trustworthy contractor, but that could have simply been a smear campaign, who knows, I don't care, never cared for Vila anyway. At any rate, I think Steve came next, he was ok, certainly not as personable as Vila. When Steve left there was again another format change and that is where Tommy really started having a presence, hosting the show for a short time before Kevin was brought onboard. Kevin, the current host, was a nobody from nowhere, with no television background. He wasn't even in the construction industry, he was just an avid fan with great passion to be a part of the TOH team, Moran recognized that and brought him on as the host. I think he's done a great job.

Now you know WAY more about TOH than you ever wanted to! :lol: :lol: See what happens when you get old, you know way too much useless s**t and not enough useful s**t! :shock: :? :roll: :lol: :lol:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:11 am

Have you seen Shannon's early video on home remodeling?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgOePab-b0

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:05 am

A. Spruce wrote:Have you seen Shannon's early video on home remodeling?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbgOePab-b0
LOL,LOL Check this one out too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8PmtjibjL4
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:59 am

I saw that one too, didn't know Nutzy did woodworking . . . well, at least before his truck got ripped off! :lol:

I really liked "This Old Party" too, language wasn't appropriate to link it here though. :? :mrgreen:

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:25 am

I still watch an old fashioned TV hooked up to an outside antenna. I get enough channels to keep me happy and I'm not hooked on watching or talking about anything which comes from it. And I also watch stuff online with the computer too. "Boob tube" had an entirely different meaning when I grew up and it is a far more appropriate definition than what it means today. Short of the masters of their trades like Tom and Norm and Richard there's nothing I can learn from the shows except what styles and trends are hot, and even those masters don't have much more to teach me. TV for me is now only entertainment and a good substitute for a sleeping pill :lol:

Styles and trends come and go. Laminate floors are hot as are the prefinished hardwoods, but that will change once people discover that they have a very limited lifespan and will need to be replaced throughout the house at a not-so-cheap expense later on. Among those in the know, one new trend I like is that some people see this already and are going back to traditional hardwood floors which will last their lifetimes and then some. There is an unmatchable beauty and warmth and feel in real wood which no man-made material will ever exceed :D

Phil

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:48 am

Flooring is definitely subject to so many fads. I totally remember the Pergo craze. It lasted like two years. I think the vinyl plank may be similar. But I could be wrong as I was with granite countertops.

I had to reply to this thread get the "Shannon is hot" subject off the top of the list. lol

Flipping Houses 101

Post by Flipping Houses 101 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

I actually enjoy the dumb TV shows, but I agree that they are useless when it comes to gathering information.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:15 pm

Mastercarpentry wrote:I still watch an old fashioned TV hooked up to an outside antenna. I get enough channels to keep me happy and I'm not hooked on watching or talking about anything which comes from it.

Phil
So we have somthing in common 8-)

I cut the cable (satellite cause Im in the country) a few years back.
Yagi antenna on the roof, I get 9 stations... 12 on a good day.

The only thing I miss are the CFL football games, and some of the NFL games.
For what I'm missing, it isn't worth the $100/mo I was paying for the satellite. :mrgreen:

Besides, if I was watching football all the time, I wouldn't be here to help out in electrical :lol:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 pm

A. Spruce wrote:I saw that one too, didn't know Nutzy did woodworking . . . well, at least before his truck got ripped off! :lol:
I don't do much woodworking ... well, maybe a little :mrgreen:

What happened to my truck :o :shock: :?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Aaron wrote:
I had to reply to this thread get the "Shannon is hot" subject off the top of the list. lol
LOL, I have to go delete that topic, thanks for reminding me!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Shannon wrote:
Aaron wrote:
LOL, I have to go delete that topic, thanks for reminding me!
That's what happens when you be flexing all up in your videos! Be honest, you're trying to get more lady subscribers, ain'tcha? :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 am

emtnut wrote:I cut the cable (satellite cause Im in the country) a few years back.
Yagi antenna on the roof, I get 9 stations... 12 on a good day.
I too have just a roof antenna, I refuse to pay for TV. But then I dont even have an actual TV. I was using a USB tuner for a while to watch TV on the computer. Actually to record some shows.

emtnut wrote:The only thing I miss are the CFL football games, and some of the NFL games.
For what I'm missing, it isn't worth the $100/mo I was paying for the satellite.
No! Definitely not. Theres so much stuff online. Sports is still tough to come by online, though. $100 is so expensive.
emtnut wrote:Besides, if I was watching football all the time, I wouldn't be here to help out in electrical :lol:
Yes, and people would be digging unnecessarily deep trenches and installing unnecessary ground rods! lol

I'm glad you're keeping me on my toes with the code differences.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:09 am

Aaron wrote: I too have just a roof antenna, I refuse to pay for TV. But then I dont even have an actual TV. I was using a USB tuner for a while to watch TV on the computer. Actually to record some shows.

emtnut wrote:Besides, if I was watching football all the time, I wouldn't be here to help out in electrical :lol:
Yes, and people would be digging unnecessarily deep trenches and installing unnecessary ground rods! lol

I'm glad you're keeping me on my toes with the code differences.
For anyone interested, 'antenna' TV is now broadcast in HD digital. Gone are the days of the old snowy picture.
$0 bucks, absolutely great picture !

I think we keep each other on our toes here, I've learned a few NEC codes from you as well.
I'll let you stick around for now 8-) :o :lol: :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:59 pm

What
emtnut wrote:For anyone interested, 'antenna' TV is now broadcast in HD digital. Gone are the days of the old snowy picture.
$0 bucks, absolutely great picture !
Good signal reception still matters a big deal, though. I've found here that although the picture quality and sound are fantastic, I get video dropouts due to bad reception. And troubleshooting it is a trial-and-error nightmare unless you have signal-measuring equipment, or you're just lucky. I've experimented with signal boosters and those don't seem to make any difference.

It's digital, so it either works or it doesn't. If it's a crappy signal, you'll get 10 seconds of solid video, then like 5 seconds of macroblocks, 2 seconds of frozen video, then another 10 seconds of good video. Or even more maddening, you could have a good 30 minutes of pristine video and sound, then a dropout. It's like waiting in suspense for a shoe to drop. This madness will make you reminisce for the days when you could settle for a snowy picture.

I'd call a TV antenna professional to come out here if I had any interest in TV, but I just don't!
emtnut wrote:I think we keep each other on our toes here, I've learned a few NEC codes from you as well.
I'll let you stick around for now 8-) :o :lol: :mrgreen:
Oh ok, I appreciate your indulgence. lol

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Aaron wrote:
Good signal reception still matters a big deal, though. I've found here that although the picture quality and sound are fantastic, I get video dropouts due to bad reception. And troubleshooting it is a trial-and-error nightmare unless you have signal-measuring equipment, or you're just lucky. I've experimented with signal boosters and those don't seem to make any difference.

It's digital, so it either works or it doesn't. If it's a crappy signal, you'll get 10 seconds of solid video, then like 5 seconds of macroblocks, 2 seconds of frozen video, then another 10 seconds of good video. Or even more maddening, you could have a good 30 minutes of pristine video and sound, then a dropout. It's like waiting in suspense for a shoe to drop. This madness will make you reminisce for the days when you could settle for a snowy picture.

I'd call a TV antenna professional to come out here if I had any interest in TV, but I just don't!
If your interest in antennas changes, don't call a TV antenna pro ... I did quite a bit of Radio work in my career ... I can probably fix it up ;)

Aaron wrote:
Oh ok, I appreciate your indulgence. lol
No problem buddy, and ditto for putting up with me !! :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:10 am

emtnut wrote:If your interest in antennas changes, don't call a TV antenna pro ... I did quite a bit of Radio work in my career ... I can probably fix it up ;)
I may need a better antenna. I've heard Winegard is the brand to go with, mine is Radio Shack. It's from the old analog days of VHF/UHF. I'm pretty sure only the UHF elements are used now, and perhaps they're just crappy. Or I may have it oriented wrong. Or my length of coax is too long between the garage roof and the house. Or my USB-based TV tuner is piece of crap (I paid like $10 for it, seriously).

There' so many frustrating variables.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Aaron wrote: I may need a better antenna. I've heard Winegard is the brand to go with, mine is Radio Shack. It's from the old analog days of VHF/UHF. I'm pretty sure only the UHF elements are used now, and perhaps they're just crappy. Or I may have it oriented wrong. Or my length of coax is too long between the garage roof and the house. Or my USB-based TV tuner is piece of crap (I paid like $10 for it, seriously).

There' so many frustrating variables.
Winegard is a top of the line antenna.
Not really needed unless you want to pick up really remote towers thou, or if you're away from the city.

I'm in the country (40 miles from the city). So I use a high gain Yagi directional antenna.
The coax run can be an issue, but only on a really long run (that's assuming it's a good rg-6 cable)

Knowing where the towers are is important if you're far away from them ... then you need to point your antenna towards them. If you google 'tvfool' ... they will list the towers for your area ;)

I don't have any experience with the usb tuners, but if you have a flat screen TV, it will be digital ready, and you could test your reception on that.

Radio shack sold many cheap antennas, but they also had some really good ones.
If you can post a link to the one you have, I can let you know a bit about it.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:23 am

Yeah I used RG-6 quad-shield cable throughout. I do have my antenna aligned with the towers, but maybe I need to spin it 180 degrees because I what I think is "front" is really the back.

I wish I had some test equipment that would show me signal levels of the stations. That is where I was thinking a TV antenna pro could help.

I don't really want to buy a real TV, let alone another antenna, unless I can get good reception. But I need a TV to test the antenna to get good reception. So it's sort of a chicken-egg problem. Then add apathy on top of that. lol