Kinda electrical, but kinda misc !

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
emtnut

Kinda electrical, but kinda misc !

Post by emtnut » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:21 pm

On Thursday we had a pretty good storm come through town.
I was in the kitchen making supper, and power goes out. 5 secs later it came on, and I could hear that buzzzzzzz sound ... and off it went again. I knew it would be out for a while.
I went outside to see if I could see the zapped transformer ... nothing on my street.
Then I notice my overhead service line :o It's hanging REALLY low ! It runs across the street, and there is maybe 10' of clearance.
The clevis let go off the house, and the wire is hanging off the drip loop at the service entrance :?

I'm thinking that the wires shorted, and I'm the reason the whole town is out of power :oops:

Get the ladder out, get up there and reattach the clevis, and hook the cables back on.
Cable seems fine, so I don't think that I could have caused all this !
While I'm up there, I see the Hydro truck show up down the road .... Tree fell on the wires and shorted it out.

Power back on shortly after that .... just one of those days ... I seem to get more than my fair share of them ;)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Re: Kinda electrical, but kinda misc !

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:31 pm

Just what the hell were you cook'n???!?!!?!?!?!?! :lol:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:50 am

funny your cable let go around the same time.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:14 am

Taking an afternoon break outside with a helper last summer doing a remodel across town. No wind, no disturbances at all. The NMT from the meter box just pops loose at the top of the house and it all comes crashing down across the driveway in front of our eyes :shock: Only sheer luck that I wasn't parked directly under it which would have been my usual luck :lol: Something shorted and killed the power which ended the floor sanding I was doing so we packed up and left. Luckily anything upstream of the meter box is handled by the power company so they came out and 'fixed' it.

The next day it's back up, the split conduit wrapped with black tape same as the shattered weatherhead and one plastic "U" clip holding it to the wall :roll: I guess they like redoing their work.

Phil

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Shannon wrote:funny your cable let go around the same time.
The storm has some pretty good winds with it. I'm thinking the line was pretty much ready to let go, and with the wind ... it sped things up :shock:
It certainly had me worried that something had shorted out thou !!

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Mastercarpentry wrote:Taking an afternoon break outside with a helper last summer doing a remodel across town. No wind, no disturbances at all. The NMT from the meter box just pops loose at the top of the house and it all comes crashing down across the driveway in front of our eyes :shock: Only sheer luck that I wasn't parked directly under it which would have been my usual luck :lol: Something shorted and killed the power which ended the floor sanding I was doing so we packed up and left. Luckily anything upstream of the meter box is handled by the power company so they came out and 'fixed' it.

The next day it's back up, the split conduit wrapped with black tape same as the shattered weatherhead and one plastic "U" clip holding it to the wall :roll: I guess they like redoing their work.

Phil
When using PVC as the service, the overhead cable should be supported with a wedge grip and a clevis :o ... not just the PVC straps !!

Friggin electricians :roll: