Table discoloration/damage? How to restore

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Sacksem

Table discoloration/damage? How to restore

Post by Sacksem » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi,

We have a nice wood table with some marks on it. Not sure the source but was wondering some ideas on polishing/restoring?

Thanks!
Ethan
Attachments
IMG_3892.JPG
IMG_3892.JPG (189.07 KiB) Viewed 214 times
IMG_3891.JPG
IMG_3891.JPG (145.41 KiB) Viewed 214 times
IMG_3890.JPG
IMG_3890.JPG (152.3 KiB) Viewed 214 times

Shannon

Re: Table discoloration/damage? How to restore

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Looks like something wet and or hot has been set on them. I don't think you can polish that out?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Looks like the stain pigment was cooked out of it in that first pic, you're not going to restore that without refinishing the table. As for simply evening out the sheen, you might be able to polish the table to buff some shine into the dull areas.

If you choose to refinish, be VERY careful with sanding, that is probably a veneer plywood top which is typically paper thin and extremely easy to sand through. If you know for a fact that it is solid wood you can sand as much as you like, experience tells me it's veneer, but it's hard to tell from the pix you posted.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

CosmosisT

Post by CosmosisT » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:39 am

If you can't wash the cloudy stains out, that's a heat-stain, you've damaged the clear-coat. There's a few things I'd do first, before re-finishing.

Try this first: (Only if you're confident it's not veneering, it may separate the glue; polish instead)
You need: Wash Towel and Iron,

You place the wash towel on the surface and with your iron ready to go, using the cloth as a safety, iron it out and wipe it down. You should notice pretty quick a difference or we have a deeper issue.

I'm usually confident in this working but if not, we'll see what needs to be done. :)

*Edit*
This is in regards to clouding in the finish, scratches and other marks may need to be handled differently.