Arcade Cabinet Build

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
emtnut

Re: Arcade Cabinet Build

Post by emtnut » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Looking good Dan. The lighting really makes a big difference.

At the top, are you still making the 'Beerbarian' logo ?

Oh, and next pic, I want to see Pong on there :mrgreen:
Well, That or PacMan !
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

DanM

Post by DanM » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 am

Oh I'm definitely still doing the logo. Just figuring out what else I need to get printed professionally and then doing it all in one shot.

Maybe you'll see some Pacman. I just keep using Double Dragon since the screen is mostly black. A bright screen messes with my phone camera and makes it either hard to pick out certain things, or makes everything a bright shiny mess.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:33 pm

That is really cool. Nice job. Of all the random junk that passes through my head daily, I can honestly say building an arcade style machine with a Pi never made it through. :)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:19 pm

RICHat22 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:33 pm
That is really cool. Nice job. Of all the random junk that passes through my head daily, I can honestly say building an arcade style machine with a Pi never made it through. :)
Hey! don't you have a bathroom floor to get done before the wife gets home?!?!?!? :| ;) ;) :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

RICHat22

Post by RICHat22 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:22 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:19 pm

Hey! don't you have a bathroom floor to get done before the wife gets home?!?!?!? :| ;) ;) :mrgreen:
I'm trying. Already up this AM planning the next attack. But last night I was trolling through entertainment posts to get my mind off bad things. LOL

DanM

Post by DanM » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:25 pm

RICHat22 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:33 pm
Thanks. When you finish your bathroom you should build an arcade machine. Us guys need a 'just for me, not her' project to work on!

DanM

Post by DanM » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:24 pm

TWO... FREAKING... KNOBS... The simplest of things, somehow they ended up being my biggest source of frustration and my greatest triumph during this project. OK maybe triumph is pushing it a little, but as complete noob to soldering and hacking apart electronic stuff I was pretty pumped afterwards.

I wanted a better sound system for the cabinet, plus I wanted to play with my new soldering station and hack apart the amp + speakers and wire it all up in ye olde arcade. I figured I'd get a decent 2.1 channel computer amp+speakers, so I picked up a set for $10 on the weekend. Grabbed some shiny potentiometers, some knobs, and set out to break some stuff apart. Tested the system on the computer and noticed the right speaker kept cutting in and out, oh well probably just the cable I reckon. Something else to try and fix.

I'll make a really long and boring story about troubleshooting an 8-pin mini-DIN connection short(er).

-Tried to fix the male end, noticed one of the pins was broken after spending 2 hours taking it apart and resoldering all the connections (taking apart and putting back together mini-DINs is a massive pain in the arse in case anyone is interested).

-Took apart the female side of the connector on the main pcb, hacked off the male end of cable and directly soldered the wires into the female end. Still no right speaker channel working properly.

-Desolder and remove the female connector from the main pcb. Spend an hour tracing where the 8 pins of the female connector go on the pcb. Directly solder the wires in the cable to the places on the PCB where they end up (which for each wire is the first thing they send signals to once they go through the connection). No dice.

-Spend a few hours figuring out which circuit amplifies the right speaker channel, test all the capacitors on that circuit, saw screw it and desolder and replace every damn capacitor on the pcb. Holy shitballs it works! Woohoo!

So now it's got a pretty rocking system. The 8" subwoofer really shakes things up, and the satellites are surprisingly good for being a cluster of 2 inchers.

Oh and just for Nutzy, here's a pic of my triumphant knobs and speakers with Pacman running. I still have to figure out what to do for a grill for the sub but it's fine for now.