Paint Repair

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Alexanmi

Paint Repair

Post by Alexanmi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:57 pm

We are in the process of repainting our home that we recently moved into. The bathroom paint is cracked but not peeling for the majority of the space. What would be the best course of action to take? Sand then repaint? I have attached a picture for reference. Thanks in advance.
87A9C6C8-D2A5-4481-9EB8-9CCA9E4D68FB.jpeg
87A9C6C8-D2A5-4481-9EB8-9CCA9E4D68FB.jpeg (156.06 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Aaron

Re: Paint Repair

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:12 pm

If it's cracked, but not peeling, it's possibly water or moisture damaged that caused some swelling. Or the paint and/or primer could have initially been applied before the drywall compound was fully dried and cured.

Besides skim-coating it (which could work), you could try using this product:

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... ng-primer/

This primer is either clear or white. It's super thick and fills hairline cracks. After that, I'd prime with Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3, then two coats of your favorite top coat paint. I'd recommend an anti-mildew additive to your top coat paint.

Also, ensure there is adequate venting of moisture.

A. Spruce

Re: Paint Repair

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 pm

That is moisture damage from hot showers and poor ventilation. If you don't have an exhaust fan, put one in. If you do have a fan, you will want to replace it with a higher CFM fan and make sure the duct is properly sized and run.

After the ventilation is dealt with, I'd float it out with drywall topping compound, nice and smooth. From there you can prime and paint or texture it first and then prime and paint. Zinnser Bull's Eye 123 is a great primer, follow it with a dealer brand semi-gloss paint, two coats of each.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.