Da 'Burb

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
A. Spruce

Da 'Burb

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Ever wonder what a Suburban looks like without seats, carpet, and most of the plastic trim? :ugeek: :mrgreen:
no seats-carpet.JPG
no seats-carpet.JPG (186.69 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Got most of the grime and filth out and the stains lightened quite a bit. Thankfully, the worst of the stains are under the seats where they won't be easily seen. It's taken about 5 hours to get to this point, disassembly, carpets out and cleaned. Once everything is dry it will probably be another 2 or 3 hours to put it all back together.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning the plastic trim pieces, which will be easier while they're out of the 'Burb and finish wiping out the dirt and debris that found it's way under the carpet. Will probably finish dunging out around the doors and weather strip while I'm at it. After that it's bath time and figure out when the bodyman neighbor wants to start touching up the dings and buffing out the paint.

And, yes, I'll get pix of the exterior before anything is done. It doesn't look "bad", it's just got 16 years worth of bumps, scratches, and dings. I'm really only worried about a few that have compromised the paint to prevent any future paint issues/failure. The light stuff should buff out.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

A. Spruce

Re: Da 'Burb

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Quoted from other thread:
emtnut wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:56 am
My last car, 1st brand new car I ever bought ... I picked up my oldest grandson when the car still had new car smell. I bought him a red slushie, and yep ... spilled all over the back seat :lol:
The worst stain is from a red piece of candy, which you can see here:
I got a little bit of it out, though not much. There were also several other red spots that I'm guessing came from a similar source. Again, for the most part, these spots are under the seats, so I'm not too worried about them.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:58 pm

Pics of you beside this vehicle ... or it didn't happen ;)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:03 pm

emtnut wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Pics of you beside this vehicle ... or it didn't happen ;)
He's too shy.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:02 pm

Yeah, yeah, pix, I get it. :roll: :lol:

Didn't get any cleaning done today, instead I made a run to the salvage yard and picked up a center console to replace the jump seat between the front seats. The jump seat will never be used and had terrible storage, the console is much better. Tomorrow is my last sunny/warm day for a while, so I've got to get all the plastics cleaned up, and hopefully, the carpet will be dry enough to go back in. It feels pretty dry right now, so by tomorrow afternoon it should be good to go.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:14 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:02 pm
Yeah, yeah, pix, I get it. :roll: :lol:
I know. It's tough, isn't it. Lol
A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:02 pm
Didn't get any cleaning done today, instead I made a run to the salvage yard and picked up a center console to replace the jump seat between the front seats. The jump seat will never be used and had terrible storage, the console is much better. Tomorrow is my last sunny/warm day for a while, so I've got to get all the plastics cleaned up, and hopefully, the carpet will be dry enough to go back in. It feels pretty dry right now, so by tomorrow afternoon it should be good to go.
Yeah well. We'll take your word for it I guess. But you know seeing is believing.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 pm

If you feel that strongly about seeing it, git yer butt over here and help install all this stuff! :lol:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Maybe you oughta install sound deadening in the interior near the body panels since it's all taken apart.

At least it's a California truck. 2003 vehicles in Minnesota look like they've been through a war zone, what with our brutal winters and road salt. This year we've got the worst potholes we've had in ages.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:10 pm

I cant believe Admin has not chimed in here. Although not a GM fan (other then square bodies) he likes to dig into projects like this with project vehicles.

You went all out on this burb interior! Man I cant believe it! You should line er with wood inside and make a statement!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Since you have the carpets all out what are these things like for rust under the sound fiber stuff on the floor, especially in the foot well areas?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:04 pm

There is a surprising amount of sound deadening already in it. Thick fiber mats under the carpet and on the inside of the large plastic quarter panels. There is also peel-n-stick stuff in and around inside these areas. Overall, this thing rides very quiet, you can have a clear conversation at normal vocal levels even if the passengers are sitting in the 3rd row seat. Conversely, the 02 Sierra with the extended cab, you can't hear squat in the back seat unless you have eye contact with the person you're talking with. We were amazed at how quiet it is and the ease of conversation at road speed.

This is definitely a California car, which means zero rust anywhere. It was also garaged by the original owner for the first 15 years of it's life, so the paint and interior are in great shape, other than the normal wear and tear, bumps and bruises you'd expect to find on a vehicle of this age.

Yeah, I've gone a little overboard on cleaning and such, but it's all part of making it MY vehicle. I like clean and well maintained, though I'm not OCD about it. This truck hasn't been deep cleaned in at least the past year, the 2nd owner didn't drive it that much for the one year he owned it. He bought it from his father-in-law. This is ironic, since the guy used to work at a detailing shop and he took it there for oil changes and such.

I've had to laugh, the day I bought it I started dunging it out, finding all sorts of change in doing so. Pulling out all the seats and carpet I found more change. Made the comment to my roommate that I won't be finding any more now that it's been stripped down. Well, I was in there last night vacuuming all the nooks and crannies before reinstalling the interior and found more change, about a buck in total.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:15 pm

Oh, the new console has a stereo in it for the rear passengers, unfortunately, the wiring harness isn't just a pigtail from the dash to the console, it's part of the truck harness, so if I ever want this stereo to work I'll have to wire it up myself. I'll worry about this later, while a bit of a pain to pull the seats to get the console out, I'd rather have the burb back together and enjoy it for a while. If I keep this truck for very long I can see changing the stereo anyway, the aftermarket one installed by the last guy is a total piece of garbage, very cumbersome to use, back-up camera isn't automatic, you have to hit 3 or 4 buttons to get to it, which means by the time you get it turned on you're already parked!

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:16 am

Shannon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:10 pm
I cant believe Admin has not chimed in here. Although not a GM fan (other then square bodies) he likes to dig into projects like this with project vehicles.
I have been watching this thread, I'm waiting for more pics!! :P True I'm not a fan of most GM products, but even I have to admit that this generation of Suburban is pretty solid :shock:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:19 am

It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so I gotta get this thing back together today. I'll be taking pix as I go and post up some before/after shots for everyone. 8-)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:22 am

Admin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:16 am
Shannon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:10 pm
I have been watching this thread, I'm waiting for more pics!! :P True I'm not a fan of most GM products, but even I have to admit that this generation of Suburban is pretty solid :shock:
I'm not much of a Chebby fan, I'd prefer it if this were a GMC. Same truck, I know, the GMC trim is a little nicer, though, and I like the grill better.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Too much? :lol: Had to pull the weatherstrip to remove some other stuff for cleaning.
d-door 1a.JPG
d-door 1a.JPG (197.53 KiB) Viewed 924 times
-
Figure being into it this deep, might as well clean everything while I'm there. Did I mention that it's grimy?
d-door 1b.JPG
d-door 1b.JPG (222.01 KiB) Viewed 924 times
-
All nice and clean and ready for the carpet to go back in. 8-)
d-door 1c.JPG
d-door 1c.JPG (189.82 KiB) Viewed 924 times

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:00 pm

You're definitely going to town on this !

It's going to be mint when you're done.

What are you using for replacement 'plugs' (those crap plastic mounting hardware thingies)
Seems those things dry out, and I always end up with a few that break when removed.
I've bought generic ones at auto stores, but I wonder if the dealer has better ones ?

I've found alot of times that these things cause the rattles and squeaks :shock:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:49 pm

I hadn't intended to go this deep, one thing leads to another and before you know it you have what used to be a suburban in one pile and a bunch of parts in another pile. :lol: I'm glad to have the opportunity to do this, I'll also be glad to have it done.

Carpets are in, now I'm working on the console. Had to take apart the dash to change a couple of the panels and figured I was in that far, I might as well start tackling the dash squeaks . . . one thing leads to another. :lol: Somehow managed to leave behind two of the cubbies for the console yesterday, so while making a run for anti-dash squeak material, stopped back by the junkyard for the missing pieces.

Taking a short break, then back at it. I've got about 2 more hours to work, so we'll see how far I get.

The plastic trim pins have been fine, I think the mechanic broke one in the headliner when he was putzing with the backup camera wiring (don't get me started on that one). While I was getting the console yesterday I pocketed a bunch of the trim pins I need for replacements and backups. Neither the dealer or the parts houses had anything I could use. If you're ever in need, find a pick-n-pull or similar junkyard and grab them there. What I've had more problems with are the metal alligator clips that wedge in a hole and bite into a plastic tang on the trim piece. They're a real PITA to get out.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:13 pm

More pics! 8-)

Speaking of taking apart and stuff, this is what I'm currently working on... (heater core replacement)
Attachments
IMG_5324.jpg
IMG_5324.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 917 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:39 pm

I don't envy you that job! :shock: Oddly enough, I am considering taking off the top dash panel due to squeaks. I know where one or two of them are, there is one in the center I'm not sure about. I think it probably has to do with the stereo wiring. Another sounds like it's in the instrument cluster, I thought it was the computer/truck doing its thing upon startup, but I can still hear it afterwards to a much much lesser degree, so I believe it to be something rattling.

So here is the day's efforts:

Got all the carpet back in and all the cargo and 2nd row seating trim work in. Don't have a pic of everything yet, here's the front carpet.
carpet 1b.JPG
carpet 1b.JPG (197.65 KiB) Viewed 909 times
-
carpet 1a.JPG
carpet 1a.JPG (235.75 KiB) Viewed 909 times
-
The console took entirely too long to install! Set it in place to see if I needed the extra bracket from the wrecker, yup, take it out, install bracket. Put it back in and had to figure out the wiring for the power ports, take it back out, in, out, in, out, . . . :roll: The problem was that my burb is a base model, with few frills, the parts truck was an upgraded model and it had a totally different wiring harness, so between what I took out of my burb and what I got from the wrecker, I was able to hook up the necessities. Had to change the glove box as well because of the different trim required for the console.
console 1a.JPG
console 1a.JPG (189.73 KiB) Viewed 909 times
With that done, I am waiting on the seats until I chase down the dash squeaks. It is supposed to rain for the next 24 hours, might be able to work on it Thursday, we'll see what the weather is like. I'm looking forward to NOT working on this tomorrow. :lol: Oh, and if you look at the reflection in the mirror, you'll have that pic of me that y'all been asking for, I was even standing beside the truck as requested! :mrgreen:
dash 1a.JPG
dash 1a.JPG (211.4 KiB) Viewed 909 times
-

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:06 am

Looks good, things are starting to come together.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:44 am

Yeah you're giving that truck a lot of love. Gonna be nice when it's all put back together, and you get a picture posted of yourself standing proudly next to it.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 am

It's been a project, that's for sure! Seems like I've been at it for a week and it's only been two working days, Monday was eaten up chasing down the console. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though.

Maybe I shoulda just taken it over to Admin's house and let him do it? :| :lol: :lol:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Admin wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:13 pm
More pics! 8-)

Speaking of taking apart and stuff, this is what I'm currently working on... (heater core replacement)
My son-in-law and I did the heater core in my last truck ... that's a big job !!

We need a pic of YOU and the finished product ... and none of this partial in the rear view mirror crap :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 pm

I didn't think replacing a heater core involved tearing apart the entire dash. Damn that sucks!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Heater cores are in the air handler box inside the dash, so yeah, most times it involves pretty significant dismantling to get them out.

If I ever have to go in that deep on my truck I'm putting in a cable actuator to the fresh air door, since the idiot designers can't figure out how to make them stay shut.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Clean!

Oh you don’t want me to work on a project for you, you have no idea how long it can take to complete :lol:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Admin wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 pm
Oh you don’t want me to work on a project for you, you have no idea how long it can take to complete :lol:
That's why I hold all the beer hostage until you're done! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 pm

Admin don't fall for that carrot and stick.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:29 pm

Aaron wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 pm
Admin don't fall for that carrot and stick.
Now you just hush! :x :lol: :lol: