Shannon wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:02 am
I guess I started it?
Well, ya ... but it's not to late to trade in your truck :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Re: Da 'Burb

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:34 pm

A quick update. The body work has been completed, completely waxed and buffed, all the exterior plastic trim has been cleaned and restored. Baby looks darned near brand new. I'll hopefully get some pix here in the next few days. 8)

It's nice to be finally done with everything, at least done for now. There will always be something that needs a little buff and polish, such as the grill, engine bay, polish up the rims, maybe touch up the paint on the dash . . . But, these things are all minor and can be done as time and inclination allow. I'm ready to sit back and enjoy her for a while. 8)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 am

You got the engine compartment completely steam cleaned?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:44 am

No. I asked the mechanic to knock down the chunks so we could monitor for oil leaks, but he didn't. It's not heavily dirty/greasy, though it's got some build up in a few places. Detailing under the hood is mostly to remove the dust, there isn't much for performance grease build up. :mrgreen: I'm cautious to take a hose/pressure washer at it with all the elektromagical things in there.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 am

I can't wait until I'm semi-retired so I can give that level of care to my fleet :D back in the day I used to put a lot more time into vehicle cleaning & care... ;)

Dia

Post by Dia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:19 am

This thread makes me proud of you, Sprucey. Quality hard work, my main man.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm

Admin wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 am
I can't wait until I'm semi-retired so I can give that level of care to my fleet :D back in the day I used to put a lot more time into vehicle cleaning & care... ;)
Yeah, working full-time does make it a bit harder to properly care for your vehicles. I used to go through and deep clean my work truck about once a year, which included hand waxing and polishing the behemoth. Other than that, it'd get a quick wash and vacuuming once a month-ish. She was a workhorse and had a few battle scars for it, but most people couldn't believe she was a work truck.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:42 pm

Dia wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:19 am
This thread makes me proud of you, Sprucey. Quality hard work, my main man.
Thanks for the kind words. It's been a long while since I've had my own vehicle to care for. I know I've gone a little OCD-anal-retentive-Nth degree, but she really needed it and looks darned near brand new for it. I'm happy with the results and will enjoy having her for a long time. 8-)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Admin wrote:
Your fleet? Ok, Jay Leno... lol :mrgreen:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Aaron wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:32 pm
Admin wrote:
Your fleet? Ok, Jay Leno... lol :mrgreen:
Ok so he is no Jay Leno but admin has a few vehicles kicking around for sure! Lol
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Maybe Admin needs to start his own thread on his fleet? 8-)

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:48 pm

I’m way too private for that!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:59 pm

Aw, don't be shy now! :cry: :| :mrgreen:

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:07 am

I could say the same to you :mrgreen:

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:29 am

Admin wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:07 am
SNAP! :lol:

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:56 am

p.s. I am jealous of Jay Leno, his collection is insane.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 am

Admin wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:07 am
Hey, I'm out here posting the poop outta this Burb project!

. . . And who wouldn't be at least a little jealous of Jay's collection? It's impressive, even if you aren't into half of the stuff he's got.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 am

Admin wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:56 am
p.s. I am jealous of Jay Leno, his collection is insane.
Yeah, but seriously, what a burden and responsibility for just the sheer liability... That stress would more than offset the joy of the collection for me, even if I were of such means.
A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:18 am
Admin wrote: I could say the same to you :mrgreen:
Hey, I'm out here posting the poop outta this Burb project!

. . . And who wouldn't be at least a little jealous of Jay's collection? It's impressive, even if you aren't into half of the stuff he's got.
Envious is the proper word, it's simply coveting something you don't have. Jealousy is much stronger and worse, it's a mixture of anger and sadness about something you don't have. Very ugly emotion.

I'm not much of a collector. I guess I like tools, that'd probably be my weakness.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:52 am

Aaron wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 am
Yeah, but seriously, what a burden and responsibility for just the sheer liability... That stress would more than offset the joy of the collection for me, even if I were of such means.
1 - He can afford it
2 - You know everything has to be insured within an inch of its life
3 - He believes stuff should be driven and does just that, whether they break or not. I have to agree with this myself, I can appreciate a trailer queen, but if it isn't going to be used for the purpose it was built for, what's the point?
4 - He can afford it! Whether he's fixing, building, or modifying something, he's got the resources to either have the equipment he needs or hire the right people for the job.
5 - His shop isn't open to the public. He gives tours on occasion, but nobody can just show up and walk through the place.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Yeah. Fine. I just can't relate to having such massive material assets lying about. For me it's not what you can buy or acquire, it's what you can MAKE.

Behold Nick Offerman's woodworking:

https://youtu.be/Gh6H7Md_L2k

(Parks and Recreation's Ron Swanson.)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 pm

I still need to get the final pix of the Burb edited and posted up. She looks great and we've been enjoying her immensely. Just checked the mileage and we've put 2200 miles on her since Feb 22nd. Most of that has been the four road trips we've taken, each around 400 miles. The hardest thing to get used to is that she's basically one big blind spot, so I gotta be real careful to be sure there's nobody around me when I'm making lane changes.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:43 pm

I drove a Suburban for a short time that had small fisheye mirrors attached the outside door mirrors. I found that to be a pretty helpful mitigation of the blindspot.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:36 am

I'm not a fan of those types of mirror, they don't work well for me. I do absolutely love the backup camera though! That is a big help, since I back into most spaces because of the size of the vehicle. I've done this since I had my 21' long '95 Sierra, parking spaces are too small for compact cars, let alone large trucks, it's easier to maneuver backing in than to drive into a space. Easier to get out too.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:46 am

Yes, absolutely easier to back in with a truck/SUV. I always back into spaces. Back in the phone company days we had driver safety training with the Smith System. In that training, for parking, we learned that for parking in a parking lot, the first choice is to always pull into a spot forward so that when leaving the spot it won't require backing up. The second choice is to back into a spot so it also won't require backing up to leave. The very last choice is to pull forward... if you can leave without backing up, then do so, otherwise back up to leave.

Backup camera would be nice. I've driven a full-size truck for many years in the city so I've gotten pretty used to parallel parking the beast. But a backup camera would just make it that much faster and easier.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:53 am

I prefer to pull through a parking spot as well whenever possible, though it seems that type of parking is loosing favor here and going more towards offset spaces, parking curbs, or tree lined medians. I think the same idiots who are designing the roadways are now designing parking lots, or visa versa, I'm not sure which is worse.

It is interesting that the Burb is a whole different beast than a truck of equal or larger size. Both the '95 and '02 Sierras were much longer, but the Burb is actually harder to see out of sides and back. The camera is a lot like the fish-eye mirrors in that you cannot judge distance, but, you can tell if you're centered in a parking space, and I've got it set so that I can just see the bumper. I know when the curb goes out of camera view, it's directly under the bumper at that point, that is what I use to judge distances.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:17 am

Ya wanna talk about blind spots Drive a jeep! That being said this is the most fun vehicle we have ever owned.The newer ones have a back up camera but this year did not or maybe its just the model that didn't ,not sure.
IMG_3535.jpg
IMG_3535.jpg (298.21 KiB) Viewed 531 times
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:47 am

That does look like it's got some healthy blind spots, but big tires and 4x4 help take care of that problem, eh? LOL :lol:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:54 pm

Well, s**t!!!!!! I was out running errands today and blew the engine in the Burb! :evil: Thankfully, I was able to find a replacement and it should be installed by Monday! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
engine.jpg
engine.jpg (73.45 KiB) Viewed 524 times

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:14 pm

They're setting up the cranes right now to hoist it to the engine bay, right? lol

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Gotta do something to counterbalance all those damn Prius' that are clogging up the roads these days. :P :lol: