Shed foundation

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Jbuster8

Shed foundation

Post by Jbuster8 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:14 pm

I only have one option for building a storage shed and that is to build an addition off of my garage. Was planning a 6 x 16 building and was not sure on what type of foundation I will need. Permit office said that it would be a slab to slab foundation but couldn’t tell me whether it would need footers. Can I pour a slab and tie it to existing foundation with rebar? Was considering a 6 inch slab for shed would have to step up to garage." Yard isn’t big enough to build an out building plus I have an easement

Shannon

Re: Shed foundation

Post by Shannon » Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 pm

without knowing your location and soil conditions its pretty tough to say but if the garage now is just on a slab then you could dowel into the existing like you said and then have a thickened edge as the footing around the other three sides. Generally the thickened edge would be 12" thick,12" wide and then the bottom ground would taper up from there to the bottom grade of the rest of the slab on about a 45 degree angle.
If the building officials don't know then how do they know if what you did is correct?? Or are they saying to have it engineered?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jbuster8

Post by Jbuster8 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:24 pm

I’m in Kansas. Permit office said that it would be a slab to slab foundation so I wouldn’t need a soil sample to obtain the permit. That was all they would say. I was concerned about the new slab settling and causing damage to both shed addition and the existing garage since I would be attaching shed to the house. I’m not sure if the garage is just a slab, however your suggestion sounds like a compromise. Thanks for getting back to me I really enjoy your videos. Helped my dad and I do crown molding in my last house.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 17, 2019 10:50 pm

Glad to help
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon