Drip edge/Flashing

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
bandito

Drip edge/Flashing

Post by bandito » Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 am

I am about to install eaves troughs on my garage. When I shingled the roof I installed a drip that is between the roof sheathing and ice/water shield. After I install the eaves troughs is it a good idea to install flashing also?

Shannon

Re: Drip edge/Flashing

Post by Shannon » Wed May 29, 2019 6:54 pm

What kind of flashing are you referring to ,after the trough install?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

bandito

Post by bandito » Wed May 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Like the one in the attached picture. I guess the flat side gets tucked under the drip edge and the side with a fold hangs over the eavestrough. That's how it was done is some videos i watched. I looked around at a few homes in my area and I did notice the flashing in the ridge side (there is a 90 degree version of the flashing available) but I couldn't confirm the eavestrough as is to hard of an angle to see.
Attachments
p_1000105251.jpg
p_1000105251.jpg (4.92 KiB) Viewed 201 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 30, 2019 5:40 am

That photo is a window and door cap or drip cap for over a window or door in other words.
on a roof edge you should have a roofing drip cap coming over the edge and down into the eave troughing and that is all.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

bandito

Post by bandito » Thu May 30, 2019 7:57 am

Thank you.

Jtmartinez

Post by Jtmartinez » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:35 am

Shanon, I had some work done by a storm chaser and they installed a shingled roof with drip edges which was great the problem is that they also installed vinyl siding on a rear addition to the house. The problem is that they screwed up the installation of the soffit and left it short in some areas which is basically falling apart also they left the fascia exposed. I saw on one of your 2011 videos where you explained the technique to use for installing soffits and fascia flashing and I understand it completely it makes sense. The problem I’m having is finding the fascia flashing and soffit material. I went to my local HomeDepot but they don’t carry this type of material. Any suggestions?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:51 am

look for a vinyl siding specialty supplier or a vinyl contractor in your area.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.