Air Filter Placement

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Uleim

Air Filter Placement

Post by Uleim » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:45 am

I've decided that I'd like to put in some air filtration. My shop is 28 x 36 with 11' ceilings, although 1/3 to 1/2 is lumber storage. I'm thinking I would like two units to clean the air before the dust settles. What I'm wondering about is placement. I am concerned about shadows / interferance with the lighting and wondering if there is an optimal height or distance from the ceiling and how important is placement as far as being on centerline on one demension and thirds on the other for best coverage. I'm considering the Powermatic PM1200. But for now would be happy to get the outlets in place so I can be ready to start installing the insulatioin and ceiling. Thanks for any practical experience and advice.

A. Spruce

Re: Air Filter Placement

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:53 am

1 - Choose a filtration unit that is capable of cleaning the volume of the shop area you have, more is better than too little.
2 - What is the manufacturer's recommended installation parameters, follow those for best results.
3 - Make sure to install the power requirements of the unit(s) as outlined by the manufacturer, i.e., you may need a dedicated circuit, circuit size (15A, 20A???), wiring size (12g???), etc.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Air Filter Placement

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:16 am

I agree , a little research on the units themselves should give you all the info if it's available. You could never get enough to completely eliminate settled dust. Some dust particles are just too heavy to stay air borne .You will maybe want a combination of dust extraction on individual tools as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon