Roofing

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
mihajlo.lakicevic

Roofing

Post by mihajlo.lakicevic » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:34 am

Hi Shannon,
Thank you for useful videos about roofing.
I have a question regarding my semi-house roof.
This is a Raised-Bungalow without basement. The roof is not steep at the top but it continues down in a steep way. The bottom part of that roof end is pretty damaged which I would like to replace.
I am not sure should I use for this part a felt paper or any other whether protection before installing 3-tab shingles or nothing?
By the way the whole roof shingles should be replaced but at this point we cannot do it financially since this roof is more expensive then other ones and is around $6,000 min.
I have hands on skills and I am pretty sure I could replace it by my self, with your help of course.
I would appreciate any help if possible.
Thanks so much in advanced!
Best,
Mihajlo Lakicevic
Attachments
Not bad side.jpg
Not bad side.jpg (227.53 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Bad side of the roof 1.jpg
Bad side of the roof 1.jpg (246.59 KiB) Viewed 229 times
Bad side of teh roof 2.jpg
Bad side of teh roof 2.jpg (259.66 KiB) Viewed 229 times

A. Spruce

Re: Roofing

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:50 am

I don't think your substrate use is going to matter. I've only ever used roofing felt, 30# is my preference because it's so much easier to work with and better quality product. Lately I've been seeing a large sheet membrane, similar to Tyvek house wrap. Without research I can't tell you whether this membrane is better, cheaper, whatever, than roofing felt. I can say that it's a larger sheet, so you cover more area in a faster amount of time. But, I think you'd be fine with felt.

When you nail your shingles, I'd definitely up it to 5 nails per sheet for the added security of holding it to a vertical surface.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:20 pm

Shingles are made to be stripped from bottom down and then installed bottom up in ideal situations. Yours will not be ideal since you will only be stripping partway up . You will likey get some damage to the existing row that you will leave in place because you will need to pry it loose to remove and insert new shingles .
I would just use #15 roof felt.
With that basically being a vertical surface I don’t think it is in critical condition yet as long as there is an under lay . If you have the budget to do an entire side or two I would do that and leave the better shape ones for a few more years if you need to save up more $$. You will get a better finished product if you did entire sides at a time. Or if you think you would have the amount of $ saved up next year I would put it off till then.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mihajlo.lakicevic

Post by mihajlo.lakicevic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Thank you Spruce, Shannon.