New species of gunk discovered

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
diytexas

New species of gunk discovered

Post by diytexas » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:34 am

I'm cleaning out the carb etc in the pressure washer (it sits between summers) and basically this year is awful.

I've worked on my share of small engines and never seen it like this. The inside of the tank is chunk level rusted and apparently it got into to the float tank as well, which is showing some rust. With the old gas, it looks like it created this kind of JP weld like gunk that's not fun to remove.

It will be ok but holy moly. I think what happened was I pressure washed my pressure washer and water got in the tank :lol:

A. Spruce

Re: New species of gunk discovered

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:18 am

Ethanol gas is probably to blame. Ethanol is hydryscopic, meaning it attracts water, so if the engine is not run regularly with fresh fuel, you get corrosion in the entire system, tank to intake.

I've seen a number of videos lately on how to remove ethanol from gasoline OR to buy non ethanol gas for small engines and 2-stroke engines. I've not done any research myself on the subject to know if this is a necessity or not, but it does sound reasonable.

Personally, I've got an Echo chainsaw that has sat on the shelf for at least a year, unused. I pulled it out not long ago, put fresh gas in it and it fired up with no problem. It did run a bit rough, my plan was to run it a few times before needing it for a job. The reality was, it got started and ran rough, sat for another week before I needed it, then fired and ran perfectly the entire time. My assumption is that the fresh gas cleaned loosened the gunk on the initial run, then cleaned out when put into service.

In the saw's defense, I always run it dry before putting it into storage, so, technically, there is no fuel left to cause any harm and the oil from the 2-stroke fuel remains to keep things from corroding. This is just a theory, but, the saw did sit for over a year and fired right up and continued to improve the more it ran.

Whenever possible I never store small engines with fuel left in them, again, alcohol draws moisture into the system, which causes all kinds of problems. At the very least, use a fuel stabilizer if you're not going to drain the fuel from the system.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.