Repairing holes ductwork/small crawlspace

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Jaxburt

Repairing holes ductwork/small crawlspace

Post by Jaxburt » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:47 am

Hi all,
After reading many forum posts, I've decided that to repair the holes in the heating ductwork with tape.
The ductwork is located in the crawlspace under the old house.
So... Im a getting a bit older female that can do just about anything. My body is telling me to stop but my finances are saying we can't afford to hire anyone.
My house/cottage is located on the shore of Lake Superior with beautiful sandstone shoreline cliffs. As you might suspect, the entire area is littered with sandstone. If I want to plant a tree it's a bid deal cutting through the sandstone and dirt mixture.
I have holes in the ductwork underneath in the crawlspace. I'm terrified of small spaces but I'll get over it. The holes are about 20 feet away from the entrance to the crawlspace. The crawlspace has room where you enter but slopes up the farther you go inside and that is where I need to do the repairs.
If I decide to suck it up and crawl over there, I could get stuck, and I'm a thin woman. Should I just do my best to attempt to remove some of the dirt/sandstone mixture and if so what is the best way to actually complete that. Or, should I just make pathways through the area. Either way it won't be the easiest thing I've ever done. I plan on using a hole making attached that I have to put on my drill which helps greatly. Any other ideas?

A. Spruce

Re: Repairing holes ductwork/small crawlspace

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:14 am

Rule #1 NEVER put yourself in a situation of getting stuck, if you don't easily fit, DON'T GO IN! This includes loose fitting clothing that will allow you to move in one direction, but get hung up when you try to back up. Just don't even go there and you'll be fine.

If the space is too tight for you to safely fit in, then excavation will be your only choice. An auger bit on a drill could be a helpful thing, as would a rotohammer, which has both drill and points for breaking through concrete and hard surfaces, such as rocky ground or clay soils that otherwise won't yield to your efforts. Rotohammers can be rented pretty cheaply and are not too difficult/heavy to use
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Repairing holes ductwork/small crawlspace

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:54 am

Also ask yourself if all that work is worth what you are gaining.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon