Anode Rod

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
image969

Anode Rod

Post by image969 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am

Hello.. I've lived in my house for 2 years now. I had sulfer egg smell when i first moved in when hot water was on. It is alot worse now 2 years later, and I am aware that a good first step is replacing thte anode rod.

I have water softener and I heard that the rods can go quicker when this is the case..
my question is which one should i got with, alluminem, magnesium, or zinc?

And will this work with softener? but just wont last as long?
and if so.. how long are we talking?

Will I be replacikng it ever couple years? or every coupld months?

Any advice would be appreciated. I may tackle this this weekend.. Thanks :)

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anode Rod

Post by Admin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:54 am

Welcome to the site, Image969. In case you haven't seen the video yet on replacing an anode rod, check it out @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ett_HNu4k. There are a lot of tips in there. Normally you should change it every few years.

image969

Post by image969 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:18 am

Hello.. Thank you. I meant to say in my post that I already watched the video along with several others.. That's how I found the site.. I didnt recall you mentioning water softener.. Thats the main thing I need to know before making purchase.

Will it work with hard water.. with softener..
Thank you for quick reply.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Ok so here is my opinion on the problems you are having. #1- water softeners generally do cause the anode rods to deteriorate quicker, but basically just change it more often and you will be ok. #2 Aluminum anodes can cause doors so try not to use them, Now that you have bacteria in the tank (don't worry most of us do) do not use a magnesium anode because it can react with the bacteria. It is recommended by most people to use a zinc anode ( most actually have some magnesium as well) when you are having an door problem.
Hope this helps you out.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

image969

Post by image969 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:01 am

OK cool.. Thanks alot.. I think I shall attempt this this Saturday.. Thanks again. :)