Insulating PVC Water Line Under the House

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
sachi1010

Insulating PVC Water Line Under the House

Post by sachi1010 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:46 pm

Hello again, Shannon.

I have not posted in a good while, although I still continue to review the new posts and comments every morning and evening. It's great to get some knowledge on a subject before I get confronted with similar situations. So I still find this site a good DIY tool.

As everyone is aware, winter is approaching, and I need to begin insulating my PVC and CPVC pipes under the cabin.

I am located in the Gulf Coastal Region of Texas where we do get freezing temps. On the average we may get some low temps in the low-to-mid 20's, but these temps will not last too long. On rare occasions the temp may get to the mid teens and these temps will not last very long.

I have considered the 6-foot foam sleeves that are slit and installed to the PVC. The specs state an R2.3 to R3.1. Do you think this will be adequate? Or what else would you recommend?

Thanks for the help and keep up the good work!

Doug

Shannon

Re: Insulating PVC Water Line Under the House

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:52 pm

I would only be guessing as I am not used to such "warm" cold weather. I am from Southern Saskatchewan Canada and we can have temps from -40c (-40f) to 0c ( -20f) all winter.
When you say those temps do not last long are we taking hours or days?
My guess is that those wraps may not be enough at times. One suggestion I would have is using "Pex" pipe for the water supply lines as it can withstand some minor freezing.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon