2nd floor laundry room floor drain spraying water

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
thomasp

2nd floor laundry room floor drain spraying water

Post by thomasp » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:28 am

Hello Shannon,

I have a 2nd floor laundry room with a floor drain...the trap is fed by the ensuite shower. The problem is now when the shower is running, water sprays lightly about 2 feet in the air and gets the floor in the laundry room all wet.
My thought is that the shower plunger and tap are somehow allowing too much pressure down the line to the drain.

any ideas.

Shannon

Re: 2nd floor laundry room floor drain spraying water

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Wow thats a new one, never see that happen before. So i like the fact they though enough about using the shower to keep the laundry trap full but they must have used a T fitting so the shower water hits the other side of the fitting and splashes and because it is right under the floor drain you get the splash coming upwards a bit. If you can get at the plumbing I would use a TY fitting so it enters that laundry pipe already at an angle down to prevent so much splashing. If you have the room I would space it down from the laundry drain as well, but you likely do not.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

thomasp

Post by thomasp » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:15 pm

No it's inside the dining room ceiling...this drain has been alright for ten years, thats why I'm thinking tap diverter, maybe scale build up or something.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:47 am

Well maybe but it seems unlikely to me. Change it out and see I guess.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

thomasp

Post by thomasp » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 pm

so on a whim i removed the shower head and ran the shower...no spray in laundry room. it's like there is air blowing down the small line or way too much pressure....any ideas.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:35 am

Man I have no idea? sorry. If you figure it out let us know.