How can I connect to this drain pipe?

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Nid

How can I connect to this drain pipe?

Post by Nid » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi,
I searched this forum and watched the youtube videos but wasn't able to find an answer. (I did all my renos based on Shanon's videos. I guess this case is kinda special.
I'm adding a kitchen sink and a dishwasher, and want to hook them up to this drain pipe (pictures below). I would like to use ABS but not sure how it would connect to this main drain?
I appreciate any answers or photos.

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: How can I connect to this drain pipe?

Post by Shannon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:08 pm

You need a Fernco coupler. Here is a link so you have an idea what you are looking for.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/2-in-ca ... ing/977080
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Since the inner diameter looks like 2 1/4", you might need 2 1/4" gasket that is 1/4" thick so you can push-fit a 2" outer-diameter ABS pipe into the opening.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Never heard of that.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:41 pm

These: http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/donuts-o ... pe-gaskets

I have an old cast iron stack in my house and I had to connect a 4" DWV plastic pipe into an old iron hub. After busting out the old iron branch out of the hub with a hand sledge, I stuffed a rag into the opening to prevent chips of pipe going down the drain and to block sewer gas. Then I had to chisel out the old pipe from the solder/oakum they used in the past to fix the pipe into the hub. I finally used a propane torch to melt residual solder and wick as much away as possible all without burning the rag (which I kept wet).

Then I waited for everything to dry, cleaned it up with acetone, ran a bead of silicone on the inside of the hub, and stuff the Fernco gasket in there. Then I squeezed the PVC into that.

It would have been nice to insert a new plastic wye in the stack but the whole weight of the stack up to the roof of the house was resting on the fitting I was working on, so cutting in a plastic wye would have probably been harder. It was the most challenging and daunting plumbing task I've ever done.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:02 pm

Sounds like a ton of work, So is this an actual known solution or did you come up with this yourself?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:29 pm

Oh it's defintiely a known solution, the Fernco donut is designed exactly for the application I used it for.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:09 pm

never have seen that before ,but again I do not plumb for a living.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:04 am

Yeah so I was thinking that donut would be a good solution for that big elbow opening at the top of this thread. It'd be a lot easier than what I did since it's a nice clean opening, it not only joins dissimilar materials (metal and plastic), but it's also a type of bushing reducer from large diameter to smaller diameter for the drain connections. You'd probably want to go down to 1 1/2", then you connect the "marvel" fitting that allows you to connect those smaller drain pipes that come in a kit that have all the slip-joints.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:11 am

BTW " Nid" be sure to think about how you are going to vent this drain from the sink and dishwasher. If your fixtures are within 5 feet of this main stack you should be ok but if not you will need to tie in a vent or if your area allows it you could add an air admittance valve ( AAV ). Most places will allow one but not the spring loaded mechanical types which are much cheaper but prone to failure. I will try to post a couple pictures of the two types.The top one is a common AAV that is approved in most areas and the bottom is a common style that is not those ones have a spring inside .
Attachments
AAV plumbing vent.png
AAV plumbing vent.png (183.31 KiB) Viewed 885 times
cheater vent.png
cheater vent.png (24.58 KiB) Viewed 885 times

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:02 pm

Can't use those in Minnesota, at least not in permanent housing, but people do anyway. You find them a lot in mobile homes.

Interestingly, though, AAVs are not required for dishwasher installations here, regardless of the proximity of the dishwasher from the stack. But you must ensure your dishwasher's discharge hose arcs from its drain port up and over the dishwasher and enters your sink base cabinet high up (like just under the countertop). Then it swoops down and clamps onto the sink tail pipe or disposer. That hose should never be lower than the P-trap, or you risk getting back-siphonage and dirty sewage water into your dishwasher.

This actually happened to me because I didn't know the rules of routing the discharge hose! I thought I had a defective check or solenoid valve in the dishwasher or something.