PEX info

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
oxide

PEX info

Post by oxide » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:21 pm

good day,
just looking to find some helpful and accurate reading material on installing PEX piping and where/how to direct it in my home (looking to remove all the copper & cast iron/galvinized ones)
thanks

Shannon

Re: PEX info

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:23 pm

All of my experience is with Wirsbo AquaPEX now actually called Uponor AquaPEX. There are other pex systems out there though.
Uponor has a full line of fittings like any other crimp type Pex product but Uponor uses poly shrink rings instead of the metal crimp rings. I still like to use some small bits of copper in certain areas like the tub spout stub out and toilet stub out. Here is a link to their website as well as my video.
http://www.uponor.ca/Residential-Plumbing.aspx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xElSwWwdB_E
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Shannon, I just saw a new house build that had PEX stub-outs for the sink supply valves. Apparently it's the new thing because now they install these sharkbite-style push-pull style valves that have the supply hoses already attached to them in various lengths. They're all plastic... you push the knob in to turn on the water, and pull it out to shut it off... Wow, installations are getting so much cheaper and faster in new construction, it's really unbelievable. But having a shutoff at the fixture seems to be getting more and more moot now with PEX manifolds.

And Uponor AquaPEX all the way! That is definitely the stuff I'll be using in the future. Uponor is a Minnesota company, too! lol

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Oh actually Uponor is a Finish company. My bad. lol But they have a huge operations center in Apple Valley, about 20 miles from here.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I have never seen those particular valves, I use push fit valves and braided water supply lines from there.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:14 pm

This is what they are:

http://www.accortechnology.com/componen ... -2-ips-nut

A friend of mine had them installed in his 2009 house, so they're not terribly new. They're basically called "stops" rather than valves, because you can't adjust the flow of water, you can only stop it. They seem sort of cheesy to me, but they probably won't ever have the seizing that those multiturn plunger or gate valves have. Those are the worst.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:30 pm

I actually would think they may have some of the same seizing up problems of the old style just because ether are never often used? Not sure? I have never seen those anywhere before for sure.

oxide

Post by oxide » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:36 pm

looks good guys, thanks for all the information:)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Shannon they claim they won't corrode in their video on the website. It seems plausible because I'm guessing these are all plastic parts without any metal. They probably would have a mineral buildup over a very very long period of time, but I bet the mineral buildup on traditional valves happens faster because it works similar to how the annode rod does in a water heater. That's my theory anyway.

I'm still skeptical about the product. I love PEX for all the back-end plumbing, but I like traditional materials on the front-end, so I'd use those 90-degree copper stub-outs for rough-in.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:55 pm

Ya copper for stub outs looks better I think as well. The pex stubs never stay nice and straight so they tend to keep finishing trim rings from sitting nicely against the wall.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:38 am

I've never been able to keep those finishing rings to keep from spinning and sliding around on the pipe between the wall and the valve... any ideas about that?

My dad suggested just putting a bead of silicone under it as an adhesive to glue it to the wall. It's messy and seems like a hack, but it's what I ended up doing. It works except there's a little silicone smeared on the edges.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 am

I also use a blob of silicone near the pipe . Then when I push the trim ring against the wall it makes contact with the back side of the ring.