Stinky basement

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Aaron

Stinky basement

Post by Aaron » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:31 pm

Here's a tip. I always forget why it reeks in my basement every once in a great while when it happens, then I remember.

It's the floor drain's trap which dries out, and allows sewer gasses to escape.

Solution? Just pour a liter or so of water down this drain to fill the trap again.

engr

Re: Stinky basement

Post by engr » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:13 pm

most of houses i lived in have trap primer that feeds off the utility sink and puts water into the floot drain trap everytime the faucet is used.. this is required by code i believe. But i heard people just pour a couple of capful of cooking oil there so it prevents the water from evaporating..

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:31 am

I like that trick with the cooking oil.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:07 pm

Oh! I never heard of the cooking oil trick! That's awesome!

My 1890 house didn't even have a floor drain at all in the basement. I had to bust up concrete and make one. Unfortunately the concrete floor of the basement isn't sloped, either, so I need to squeegee any standing water over to the drain. My laundry tub drains ahead of the floor drain, alas.

A

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:02 pm

I see your profile name got changed, glad to see you are comfortable enough to use your actual name here. Thanks for all your comment and help Aaron.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:42 am

Yeah I was thinking there was another area where I could put my real name in the Profile but it doesn't exist. I don't mind using my first name at all.