Water heater safety valve replacement

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Spitzair

Water heater safety valve replacement

Post by Spitzair » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi Shannon!

I've thoroughly enjoyed all your videos and leaned a LOT from them! I do have a question though... The water heater in my house seems to have a malfunctioning safety valve... I got home from 3 weeks away today and thankfully had the water heater turned down to vacation mode... I turned it back up to normal temperature and went about my business. When I went to have a shower tonight I realized there was only lukewarm water... So I went to investigate and found a flood in the basement coming from the safety valve on the tank... Only lukewarm water was coming out turning the basement into prime goldfish habitat... Whoever invented the floor drain is a hero in my book! Anyway, can a guy replace the safety valve or does this mean I'm in the market for a new hot water tank? I can supply pictures of the tank for identification purposes if that helps..

Thanks!

Toby

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Water heater safety valve replacement

Post by Admin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:24 am

Welcome to the site, Toby. Man I wish this happened to you two weeks from now... our next video which is coming out March 20th is on replacing the T&P valve. It's the valve that is doing it's job on your system.

The problem may not be with the valve, though. The valve is designed to let off pressure if pressure builds up too high or the temperature is too hot.

I'm sure Shannon will chime in here also, but I believe a normal indication of a faulty T&P valve is that it drips, not releases pressure. Perhaps your thermocouple or something else is not functioning correctly which caused the heater to overheat the water.

Anyway, Shannon is the pro, so wait for him to respond. And, welcome to the forum.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:41 am

Sounds to me like maybe your system over pressured while heating back up to temperature ? Was the water still flowing freely from the valve even when the water was lukewarm or was it only dripping? If the valve seems to have stopped now then I would fire the heater back up and keep an eye on it to see if that happens again. If it is just dripping slightly it may have some water heater crud stuck in it keeping it from sealing properly, sometimes purging it manually at short intervals will clear it but it may be necessary to replace the valve. They are pretty inexpensive ,usually under $20. let me know what you find.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Spitzair

Post by Spitzair » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks guys, the valve would pop and gush when the water was still relatively cool, say maybe 30 degrees or so... I found a replacement at Home Hardware today and just finished installing it, the heater runs up to full temperature now and the new one holds... The old valve had a large amount of deposits on it too... I also installed a drain pipe into the sump so it doesn't squirt water all over the basement floor again. Thanks again for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 pm

Sounds good, glad to be of help.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon