Hydronic Heater and Pex

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
mrpark

Hydronic Heater and Pex

Post by mrpark » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:53 pm

I want to remove a section of my hydronic baseboard heater which is all copper pipe, it seems that 90 degree shark bites might be a possibility if I can clear the beams. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to go from copper to Pex and then connect the other side of the Pex back to copper instead. I assume I would need tools for this as well?

Shannon

Re: Hydronic Heater and Pex

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:40 pm

If I'm not mistaken I think shark bites are ok on hydronic heating systems, double check that on their website though first. Other wise sweat a Pex nipple on the two copper pipes and then attach the Pex. I recommend the Wirsbo brand but the crimp ring styles are usually easier to find and the tool is pretty cheep if you can't find one to rent
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mrpark

Post by mrpark » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:51 pm

yes, you are right. Shark bites work as long as they are at least 10 feet from the boiler. (I think that is right), Ok I will research that brand since I know next to nothing about Pex. The problem with the shark bites is that they are much fatter than regular copper so may not have enough clearance. Thanks again, I will check their site and read up on that brand of Pex.

mrpark

Post by mrpark » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:58 pm

I just saw you can use sharkbites to convert copper to pex. I will still check out that other brand cause I want to get very smart on Pex.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Yes Shark Bites and other push fit plumbing fittings work on both copper and Pex tubing so you could still use pex in-between the two copper runs.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mrpark

Post by mrpark » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:51 pm

I have to research if there is a specific kind of pex for hydronics..

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:16 am

There are two different types "a" and "b" but I'm sure its more important when plumbing drinking water to have the correct type but double check that.

mrpark

Post by mrpark » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:44 pm

I found out for baseboard heat you need Oxygen barrier. I got the sharkbites but will buy the Pex online. I did look at the home depot, it all said "no oxygen barrier".