Vent stack vibrating/humming in the wall

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
mrpark

Vent stack vibrating/humming in the wall

Post by mrpark » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:52 am

It seems my pipe vent/exhaust has something wrong with it. It makes a very loud buzzing sound which shakes the vanity mirror in our bathroom. The pipe is in that wall behind the mirror, I have access to it in the attic.

Why would it suddenly start vibrating, note: nothing is running while it happens. Could it be the pipe needs to be cleaned out ? I have hydronic heating, but as far as I can tell it is not hooked up to that pipe. I even cut the main breaker when it was happening, so it is not anything to do with electrical.

Should I cut the pipe in the attic an try to clean it out. I read another idea to try to put foam next to the vent pipe. very weird....

Shannon

Re: Vent stack vibrating/humming in the wall

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:09 am

It is strange for it to suddenly just start doing that ? Does it do it all the time or just now and again ? Is it related to windy days or the wind coming from a certain direction? That pipe sticks up through the roof and maybe the wind is vibrating it? Try going in the attic and spraying sprayfoam around it where it goes through the wood framing and down into the wall cavity.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mrpark

Post by mrpark » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:59 am

it does it completely at random just now and again, but happens over the past few days. It just suddenly started happening, and the vibrating is new. OK, I will try that idea, sounds good. The funny thing is that is like a very loud vibrating, I don't think it does it in the attic, but I will verify that next time it happens. In the past we have had VERY windy days and it didn't do that. The vibrating is that of a cell phone vibrating times a hundred, very odd...

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:03 pm

thats very strange.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon