What's wrong with this picture !!

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
emtnut

What's wrong with this picture !!

Post by emtnut » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:33 am

A buddy of mine installed a washing machine and piping at his cottage. Ever since he installed it, he said they could smell septic gas in the bathroom after they used the shower.
I went to take a look.... took me quite awhile to figure out what was wrong, and I thought the members here might like the puzzle !
(looks like the right side of the picture is cut out .... the 2 - 4" lines wye together and drain into the septic tank)
See pic....
Plumbing .jpg
Plumbing .jpg (166.74 KiB) Viewed 704 times

Scroll down for the answer when you think you have it.
And I hope you have a hard time .... Cause it took me hours !!
(although I was being paid by the pint ;) )

.... Don't be scrolling further if you haven't figured it out yet ... that's cheatin' :geek: !!!! :lol:

The line that he tapped the washer drain to, was already wrong ... It's on the wrong side of the P-Trap !
Obviously there was a faint amount of gas before, when the sink was used, but unnoticeable.

Thought it would be a good example what can happen if you overlook something in plumbing.
Much more important on a septic system, but either way, you could be poisoned with gas fumes !

Thought it was kinda funny, me being a sparky afterall

Wayne
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Re: What's wrong with this picture !!

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:46 am

Actually every one of those fixtures must have its owns trap. The only exception is the dishwasher and kitchen sink can share if they are close to each other. But in this case they all should have their own and really if they all join to the same drain line after it should be likely 3" to handle more than one draining at the same time.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:53 am

You can't see it in the picture, but the sink's trap is under the sink. The washers trap is close to the washer.

Thanks for the drain pipe tip. I moved it to the other side, but I think that was a 2 inch.

Any problems moving it to the 4" pipe instead ?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Oh I thought it looked like they were all sharing that one trap?
Or are you saying some of them are using two traps , if so that's not advised as either.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Yes, actually 3 drains sharing 1 trap ...

Here is my 'artwork' of before
before.jpg
before.jpg (194.99 KiB) Viewed 685 times

And this is what I did .... But all 3 drains are going into the 2 " to septic. I think I should have wye'd to the 3 " from the toilet.... I the washer was draing, and the tub draining at the same time, it might be a bit much
Good news is, his place doesn't smell anymore !!
after.jpg
after.jpg (194.82 KiB) Viewed 685 times
Artwork pic sucks ... I don't have a scanner yet :)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:04 am

At least you have the separate traps for each fixture now. If he starts having drainage problems then try to get them all tied into that 3" or at least the tub.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:33 pm

I was going to say that if the trap is too far from the fixture as it looked in that first pic, the drain water can build up too much velocity draining and the trap seal will just get siphoned away.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:47 pm

Good point,that is a possibility.