Advice for basement plbg with aav/studor

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Jmaclicious

Advice for basement plbg with aav/studor

Post by Jmaclicious » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Trying to figure out a game plan whilst finishing my rough in for electrical and set up some water lines.. I have a 3/4 bathroom in basement.. is there any issue with venting with a studor underneath sink in vanity or in the wall rather than cutting up walls and roof to run vent line?

Also would I be able to vent the laundry machine in the same fashion?

Thanks for all info and help.. I definitely do not want problems..

Aaron

Re: Advice for basement plbg with aav/studor

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:49 pm

The AAVs are permitted in certain areas or under certain conditions, you will need to check with your local or state/province authority to be sure. I know here in MN they are NOT permitted in permanent homes or buildings with foundations, but they are allowed in mobile homes.

You may not necessarily need to create a new vent, you may be able to tap into an existing vent. Have you look to see where you could possibly do that in your basement?

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 am

Aaron wrote:The AAVs are permitted in certain areas or under certain conditions, you will need to check with your local or state/province authority to be sure. I know here in MN they are NOT permitted in permanent homes or buildings with foundations, but they are allowed in mobile homes.

You may not necessarily need to create a new vent, you may be able to tap into an existing vent. Have you look to see where you could possibly do that in your basement?
I did have an inspector say because given the age of my home and the situation that cheater vents (from a real plumbing wholesaler not big box) would be allowed, but not really sure how well they are/work. My basement bathroom is pretty far from my main stack/venting line as I relocated the new bathroom across the basement.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:58 am

Well if you got the blessing from your municipal inspector, then go for it. You may want to get it in writing should you ever decide to sell your house and a future inspector questions it. Honestly, I'm not sure there'd be any difference between AAVs you'd purchase from a big box store or a plumbing wholesaler. You probably want to go with a well-known brand like Studor or Oatey.

I would still opt for venting from the main stack, even with the distance or hassle, just because it's the guaranteed solution and 100% correct way to do it... the only thing I'm not so sure about is whether any distance could have a negative impact on the effectiveness of venting. My plumbing knowledge is only intermediate.

AAVs work perfectly well, though, as far as I know.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:01 pm

I would use the AAV if they will allow it. Remember the should not be hidden in a wall , they should be accessible . In a basement I would keep it up higher then your sink drain if you can to help prevent sewer backup through it if you ever have that issue. The real cheep ones that most box stores carry are not very good, stick to a quality unit. Remember that vent is all that is protecting you from sewer gas entering your home.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:04 pm

If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon