Laundry drain plumbing

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Jmaclicious

Laundry drain plumbing

Post by Jmaclicious » Sat May 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Curious, had this plumbing pipe done (does not have a backwater valve installed in ground for the laundry, but I know you can get one on the horizontal) however, does this pipe require a vent--it would be a studor if so, but my mainstack that vents through the roof is here.. the 2" laundry pipe crosses over top the main drain line underground.
Attachments
IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG (510.35 KiB) Viewed 473 times
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG (446.46 KiB) Viewed 473 times
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0614.JPG (476.66 KiB) Viewed 473 times
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG (417.42 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Aaron

Re: Laundry drain plumbing

Post by Aaron » Sat May 27, 2017 6:44 pm

If the laundry drain stand pipe is close enough to the stack, then the roof vent of the stack should be sufficient venting.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun May 28, 2017 10:33 am

Yes it looks to me like the washer drain would be close enough to vent from the main stack.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Tue May 30, 2017 9:22 am

Agreed. Normally a washer drain pipe is self-venting to a large degree because the drain hose does not create a seal where it enters. I've fixed more than a few slow washer drains by simply removing the duct tape some idiot wrapped that connection with thinking they they were doing something good when they weren't.

Phil

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks for the help guys, so I am trying to figure out my options here, debating about doing a laundry outlet box for a cleaner install, the room will be semi-finished once sprayfoamed so I will either build a small wall to hide the laundry drain pipe, p-trap, horizontal run (with 2" backwater valve), into the pipe, orrrr I can leave the piping exposed strapped with the galvanized strapping to the finished drywall into the studs and then as for the supply water valves I guess I would just use a block of 2x4 or something. I tried looking for info in my city for codes, whats recommended height from floor to put the p-trap, and normal height for the stand pipe? I do have machines that are on pedestals now, but whether or not I stick with the bases I am still unsure.

I believe side by side I need roughly 54" of space to accommodate the washer and dryer comfortably, If you were to do the plumbing... would you plumb the drain with the trap to the LEFT of the current drain pipe, or to the Right under the window? (My dryer exhaust vent is approx. 2' to the right of the window).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 pm

The pipes would be surface mounted in most basements to avoid being in the cold wall zone but if you are spray foaming that should not be an issue i guess. If you use the plumbing box and go in the wall the drain and water supply valves are all in the box. If you surface mount everything then do as you suggested and strap to the wall and /or wood block. Since your drain is already outside of the framing I would likely leave it that way. I would probably put the trap to the right to get it closer to washer.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Shannon wrote:The pipes would be surface mounted in most basements to avoid being in the cold wall zone but if you are spray foaming that should not be an issue i guess. If you use the plumbing box and go in the wall the drain and water supply valves are all in the box. If you surface mount everything then do as you suggested and strap to the wall and /or wood block. Since your drain is already outside of the framing I would likely leave it that way. I would probably put the trap to the right to get it closer to washer.
When I plumb this, do you think i should just use a sanitary tee and add a vent pipe with a cap just in case, or should I just use a 90 degree elbow right off of that pipe and continue with the horizontal run with backwater valve, p trap and stand pipe?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:45 am

It would not hurt anything to add the APV to this just incase