pex pipe

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
greg1

pex pipe

Post by greg1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 am

Can you run pex pipes 1/2" close to the foundation wall in the basement? My worry is that they can freeze in winter.

Shannon

Re: pex pipe

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Any pipe can freeze in winter under the right conditions. Is this below grade? And if so how far?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

greg1

Post by greg1 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 pm

Well that segment of the pipe is actually above grade and its touching concrete in one spot. I avoided using a 90 and just bent the pex for a better flow around the framed wall. So Im kinda concerned for that area where the pipe is turning around the framed wall which is at the top where the top plate and joists meet. So it is above the ground. Should I redo the pipes maybe and run the pipes closer to the inside wall? It would still be running on the exterior wall.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:04 pm

Well I'm not one to run any plumbing water lines in exterior walls but if I have to I will insulate the cavity with 2" foam including the sides of the studs. I will also sprayfoam the joints of the foam to block drafts. You can also bundle the hot and cold side by side with good Zip ties to help keep the cold a little warmer. Be sure the pipes are no closer then 1-1/4" from the face of the drywall to avoid damage from fasteners ect.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon