Outdoor Drain To Sump (No P-Trap)

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
tpirovol

Outdoor Drain To Sump (No P-Trap)

Post by tpirovol » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have an outdoor catch basin that connects to my sump pit without a P-Trap. The house has an extension and the basement was lowered so they connected the drain to the sump as their are no sewers on that side of the basement.

I am sealing the sump for a radon mitigation and the installer found that the air intrusion from the drain without a P-Trap is to much for the system to work correctly. The pipe coming from the drain is a 4" and the sump pit cannot accommodate the 4" P-Trap.

My plan is to go from a 4" to a 3" via a 90' reducer and then 3"-2" reducer and then the p-trap. Just wondering if that would be an issue. The stairs and landing around about 6'x12' so their is not that much water. I also intend to ensure the p-trap is threaded so it can be cleaned.

I am just wondering if their is any other method of accomplishing a p-trap in a tight space? I was thinking of just running the 4" pipe down and into the water but would that also work?

looking for creative ideas
Thanks T

Shannon

Re: Outdoor Drain To Sump (No P-Trap)

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 pm

I think that the reducing would work but it will restrict flow in a heavy down pour. I think if you added a 45 and a short piece of 4" until the end was lower then the standing water level that would work as well?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

tpirovol

Re: Outdoor Drain To Sump (No P-Trap)

Post by tpirovol » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:59 am

K cool that is what I was thinking as well. I will try the trap reduced to a 3” and if that doesn’t fit I will do as you suggest.

Thanks as normal Shannon!