Page 1 of 1

Water supply line

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 pm
by MarkM
As I am tackling little project by little project in my house, I am now finding myself having to work with my water lines and this has thrown me for a loop. I have a little bit of copper, a very small bit of PEX but the vast majority of it is this. I have been told its "Quest" or "Polybutelene" in going through google searches I have been quite unsuccessful at finding anything definitive. All searches for Polybutelene has returned a grey material. Working with it is proving quite difficult. It is a hard but flexible plastic. I have attached some pictures. A piece that went to my bathroom sink measured 1/2 inch OD, and 3/8 inch ID.

I was wondering if any of you knew first what it actually was, and secondly how to work with it as finding fittings, etc is proving very challenging.

It is throughout the house, and does carry both hot and cold.

Re: Water supply line

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:04 pm
by A. Spruce
Looks like the stuff that is run for drip irrigation, don't know what it's chemical make up is though.

I would not worry about what it is, unless you suspect it is harmful in some way. The fittings to use will be Shark Bite, they're expensive, but they don't take any special tooling to use, unlike the metal rings that are normally crimped on such things.

Re: Water supply line

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:48 pm
by Shannon
That is if shark bites will fit on that stuff. I believe that is Polyethylene pipe. I have never seen it used in a home however. Polyetheylene I have seen is usually jointed with plastic barbed fittings and hose clamps. It is generally a general use pipe but I 've never seen it run through a house to fixtures