Well Pump

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Mastercarpentry

Well Pump

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:09 am

Rumors of my death are premature except for my mind which has gone AWOL :lol:
I've got a friend whose old well pump of unknown type and vintage (at least 25 years old) seems to have a bad foot valve. She wants to put in a new pump while she can afford it. At 250ft down, I'm not touching it (that's a younger mans job!) but I do want to recommend the best well pump possible. Also wondering what piping would be best at that depth? My little experience has been helping with shallow wells long, long ago when my mind was clouded by lager so I can't count on me anymore and need your help.

Phil

Shannon

Re: Well Pump

Post by Shannon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 am

Ahh you are still above ground? LOL.

I have really no experience with well pumps so I don't think I can really help here . Lets see what the other guys have to say, hopefully one of them has some input for you.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:15 am

Same goes for me, I just call the well guy. :lol:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:26 am

Mastercarpentry wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:09 am
Rumors of my death are premature except for my mind which has gone AWOL :lol:
I've got a friend whose old well pump of unknown type and vintage (at least 25 years old) seems to have a bad foot valve. She wants to put in a new pump while she can afford it. At 250ft down, I'm not touching it (that's a younger mans job!) but I do want to recommend the best well pump possible. Also wondering what piping would be best at that depth? My little experience has been helping with shallow wells long, long ago when my mind was clouded by lager so I can't count on me anymore and need your help.

Phil
Good to hear you're still alive and kickin' .... You should hear some of the things Sprucy was saying about you !!! :lol:

I wish I could recommend an 'old school' pump that you would get 20+ years out of. They don't make them like they used to... it's a price driven market !

That said, Grundfos and Gould are considered #1 with Franklin following a close second. Redline is essentially a Franklin, but with some compromise on brass parts, so a little cheaper.

I would think she has a pressure tank, but if not, look into a cycle stop valve. Basically the less the pump has to start, the longer it will last.

Edit--- That would be "RedLion" , not Redline :))
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:48 am

emtnut wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:26 am
Good to hear you're still alive and kickin' .... You should hear some of the things Sprucy was saying about you !!! :lol:
Hey now, I thought we agreed we weren't going to talk about that! :shock: :? :| :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see you back, Phil, if only for a minute. 8-)

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks folks :D I did remember Grundfoss but I knew there were others, and being out of the loop for so long I needed current info. She's got a pressure tank (I could replace that much for her later if needed) but I've never heard of a"stop cycle switch". It's been a great well with water which makes the city water taste like bleach in comparison. Her husband rewired it before he died and there have been downstream plumbing problems, but nothing else seems out of order- the pump doesn't run unexpectedly or for longer than usual. But recently after a few hours of non-use there's air in the lines which I understand is either the foot valve leaking or a hole in the downpipe, either of which means pulling the rig. No leaks anywhere else.

I have neither the time or the back to do that myself or I would, I worked with her husband many years (Neal had a True Craftsman's heart, head, and hands 8-) ) and they were some of my very closest friends. I don't want to see her screwed over by whoever does the work trying to maximize their profits with anything less than the best throughout. I may not be able to supervise them but she's pretty sharp as long as she knows what to look for. She's one of the few friends and family I've got left now, like a sister to me. Gotta do this right.

Phil

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:15 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:48 am
emtnut wrote:
Hey now, I thought we agreed we weren't going to talk about that! :shock: :? :| :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see you back, Phil, if only for a minute. 8-)
Good to be back my friend. Having health issues which have made times tough financially, but I've finally hooked up with a customer who truly appreciates me so among the several folks on the job, I get to pick and choose what I do, and I get consulted on everything- repairs, designs, and changes- before anything else happens. Did the hardwood stairs, including a tightly radiused handrail and landing plus a inner handrail that wrapped around a wall and dropped again. That was the toughest thing I've ever done to get everything right, makes volutes look like child's play :lol: Doing built-in bunks right now, the first has two perpindicular full's with two end-to-end twins above and two chest-of-drawers flanking the stair to the top. Drawers under the lower beds and in the stair risers too! All clear pine, gonna look lovely. Plenty of future work when this one's done too. Now looking for stain options, want to get contrast without too much darkness. IIRC "it was either "Honey Oak" or "Golden oak" which did that but it's been so long I just don't remember.Any advice on that would be welcome.

Phil

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:28 am

Don't worry about the cycle stop valve, it's only needed if there is no pressure tank (to reduce starts).

I don't have any first hand experience with what piping was used. I just wired the things up :mrgreen:

You could try to contact Grundfoss or Gould and see what they recommend ?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:55 am

Mastercarpentry wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:15 am
Now looking for stain options, want to get contrast without too much darkness. IIRC "it was either "Honey Oak" or "Golden oak" which did that but it's been so long I just don't remember.Any advice on that would be welcome.
I'm sure you already know this, but apply a sanding sealer before you try to stain pine so that it takes the stain more evenly. Pine is so porous and full of resin that it doesn't generally take stains well without some help.

MinWax stains are great, but their finishes suck, so stay away from those. I can't offer much help on colors, other than to say get several so that you can test both color and contrast between the final choices. You an always return the unused cans. If you're like me, you'll be a hooligan and do the test right there in the store! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: I'm trying to remember the brand of poly I like, you can work the ever loving shizzle out of it and not create bubbles, I want to say it's a Zinsser product, but it's escaping me at the moment. :roll:

Liquid stains have more penetrating power, whereas gel stains tend to stay more on the surface and are a little more controllable. Stain and finish in one, I don't recommend because it's basically paint, the color stays on the surface and if it gets scratched or chipped, you have raw wood underneath. To me, it's worth the extra effort to do each process individually to have a whole lot more control over the final product.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:11 pm

I did the stair railings at my parents place. This was the 'Golden Oak' just to give you an idea.

Sorry about the pic, I don't usually take pics of my work but have this one from the real estate listing when they sold. A little on the photoshopped side.
Attachments
!golden Oak.png
!golden Oak.png (577.4 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Mastercarpentry

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks folks. I'll switch over to a more appropriate forum after this reply, as stains and plumbing shouldn't be used in the same sentence :lol: Got a handle on the brands and application Spruce. And that's the color emtnut, but wanting more contrast like on the shelving unit(?) at the far right. I'll post over at "Interiors" tonight.

Phil

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:58 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:48 am
emtnut wrote:
Oh yea :oops:

Umm ahhhh but it was all good things ... yeah, just good things :mrgreen: