Sump pump runs frequently recently

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
fish.ball

Sump pump runs frequently recently

Post by fish.ball » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 pm

I've noticed since last week my sump pump seems to run more frequently, especially after a long(er) shower and/or finish of washing machine cycle. This happens pretty suddenly since last week as we didn't notice this behavior during the last 3 years we own the house. It wasn't raining in the last couple of weeks, but the weather was a bit foggy.

I'm wondering if there is anything that we should be checking (first time home owner) or watch out for? Like a leaky pipe or something?

Thanks.

Clarence

Re: Sump pump runs frequently recently

Post by Clarence » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:46 am

If you can see into the sump pit it maybe possible to use a very bright dye say bright red flush it down the commode & pour it the shower drain than check to see if the pit water has any sign of the color used. Use a dye like masons mortar dye in powder form in the commode you would have to mix with water for the shower. Depending on the shower floor MAKE SURE it won't stain it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 am

Yes I would agree this is a good way to check also look for signs of bubbles in the water after the laundry has drained. It does seem that you may have a rotted out drain line under the floor. I would try Clarnece's method first. It may take a fair bit of died water and I would run it down the drains that you have noticed to maybe have issues.Unplug the pump as well so you have a chance to have a look in pit. It maybe necessary to scoop some water out of pit in a clear glass to see if there is any colour in it. Also having those drains scoped with a drain camera should show you any problems.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

fish.ball

Post by fish.ball » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:57 pm

thanks Clarence and Shannon for the suggestion. I will try out the dye.