Corroded Hot Water Heater Outlet

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
BryanW

Corroded Hot Water Heater Outlet

Post by BryanW » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:34 pm

I just purchased a home, and am repiping the galvanized in the basement to copper & pex. The inlet & outlet to the water heater is metal which is connected to a copper pipe, which then they connected galvanized pipe to. No connections have dielectric unions, and while the inlet has no corrosion, the outlet looks horrid (which is shown in the picture). It is a natural gas water heater that is just over 5 years old.

Do I attempt to add a dielectric union here, or am I just asking to wreck the water heater? Are there other options to reduce the corrosion rate? Change anode? add an external copper wire attached to both pipes to reduce the charge?
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (84.07 KiB) Viewed 85 times

A. Spruce

Re: Corroded Hot Water Heater Outlet

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:51 pm

I suspect that most of that is due to there being no dielectric fittings. I'd add them, and when you take the joint apart you can inspect whether or not you want to change out that fitting, which should just be a nipple screwed into the top of the tank.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

BryanW

Post by BryanW » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 pm

A. Spruce,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too concerned about the copper fitting. Its the amount on the actual water tank outlet, which you can see below the copper. I know if I ruin the treads on that, it'll mean I need a new water heater.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:01 pm

To me I would say it’s not worth it. Chances are that heater is getting close to its life expectancy and you can change it at that time . If you get three more years you will be lucky on most heaters
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

BryanW

Post by BryanW » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:39 am

Thanks for the input. Appreciate the thoughts.