What are these in my basement?

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
mishra_pkus

What are these in my basement?

Post by mishra_pkus » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi, I have these sealed holes in my basement, I am not sure why they are for. Can someone please let me know what are these, what is their purpose? My basement does not seem to have rough in plumbing. I want to make a bathroom there. One contractor was saying to create bathroom using these as rough in? Is that a good strategy?
IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG (59.5 KiB) Viewed 208 times
IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG (40.69 KiB) Viewed 208 times

A. Spruce

Re: What are these in my basement?

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:10 pm

What are we looking at, a wall, the floor? What sewer/drain things are around these, bathroom/kitchen overhead, etc.? We need points of reference.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:44 pm

I'm guessing it could be for radon mitigation?

mishra_pkus

Post by mishra_pkus » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Thanks for your replies. These are on my basement floor. They are covered with those circular plastic covers. There are 4 of them, when I take off the circular plastic cover, I see a pipe there. Please see the pic above. I don't think they are rough in plumbing. Please advise what they are and why they are there.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:36 am

I don't think they're rough in plumbing either, and it would be unwise to utilize them as such without further investigation.

It doesn't make sense to have that many access points within such a small area. Is the floor uniform in appearance or is there a distinct change in texture/shape/appearance in the area where these covers are located?

If the floor appears uniform, then these were installed when the floor was poured. If these accesses do indeed lead to drain lines, then I'd hire a plumber with a camera to scope where they lead to.

If the area around them is different than the rest of the floor, then these were done after the floor was poured. If done after, they would definitely NOT be rough in points and would point to radon testing/remediation or something similar.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:50 am

I cant see these being for a bathroom rough in. They are just to close together. I have never seen radon set ups so I can not say for sure?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

mishra_pkus

Post by mishra_pkus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:37 am

Thanks again for your thoughtful posts. This area of the floor does not seem to have a different look than others - so I guess they were created during pouring of the floor itself. These seem to be access points to drain lines - not sure, if they are found in other houses. Also a big question for me is whether to cover them under my to-be-installed flooring or keep them open for ease of access. But in order to make that call, I need to understand why do I need these access points. I have never had a need in last 10 years.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:03 am

The only way to know if you should cover them is to find out hat they are. We can not tell from the pictures you have provided. The one that has the cover off what is under the poly that is in the way? Is that a coloured cap or tape or what? Open them all up and clear away what is in the way and get a good look at everything.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon