Mystery Air in water lines

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Matias

Mystery Air in water lines

Post by Matias » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:47 am

Hi Shannon
I have use you youtube videos to do some repair at home and they are great, I was able to finish my basement and add a nice shed in my back yard.
I move to my house almost 2 years ago and since that time I have one problem I haven't been able to solve, Air in my water (hot only almost sure) lines.
short problem description:
When I opened any faucet after some seconds air start to rush out mixed with water, it last some times up to a minute.
Normally morning shower is when there is more air, but give and take it happened all day.

My "setup"
all my fauces are mixer one handle - new
Shallow well pump 3/4 hp - new
Well updated before I move in
Softener and Iron removal 45k capacity - new
Water pressure tank 10 gallons (I think)
Outside spigot close from inside near water pressure tank before softener. - new
water heater 62 gallons - new
thermal expansion tank 5 gallons - new
reverse osmosis 3 filters plus a reservoir 2 gallons
pipes from pump to almost first "split" is 3/4" then change to 1/2" to supply all rooms.
Most are copper but there is some pex no much.

What I check
There are no sign of water leeks anywhere, I can see almos all pipes from my basement laundry room that has no ceiling and 90% of the connection can be observe from there, I don't see the spigot lines but they are most of the time closed from inside.
There is no visible mold or any water stains under sinks or around showers.
The pipe from pump to pressure tank is transparent and I can't notice any bubbles in it coming from well, there is no knocking on any pipe.

I have been improving my house since day one, so I was expecting that every change will remove this problem however it never happened.
The house is a bungalow from the 60s and the last 30 years there was no upkeep, one old lady by herself was living here.

So, I don't know if this info help to give some tips on what else to check, but if anyone have any suggestions or question please let me know.
I read your forum plus I google many times this problem, I try the most common suggestions but I can't seem to fixed it.
I can add pictures if you think can help

Thank you
Matias

Clarence

Re: Mystery Air in water lines

Post by Clarence » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:12 am

I am not a plumber but you need to check two things.
# 1 check to make sure the Anode rod is the correct one for the well water you may need to change to another type rod.
# 2 check your pressure relief valve it may be sucking air into the tank.

Matias

Post by Matias » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Clarence
I read some where about those posible reasons, I checked the relief valve and looks to work fine.

Do you think the rod is reacting with the well water and making some kind of gas inside the water heater? I red is possible but I never imagine it can produce that much, that is why I kind of dismissed it.

I saw the titanium rod on amazon, it suppose to be the best for my situation, I may give it a try is one of the last things I'm yet to change anyway.
If there is any other suggestion please let me know
thks

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:35 pm

The only things that are only related to just the hot water are contained in the hot water heater.
the rod & the pressure valve.
All other items in the water system are all interconnected to hot & cold so it has to be something related to hot system.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:28 pm

I would have never thought of that but if it is a know problem with well water then I would for sure start there.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon