Replace a sink... with what?

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
tiggyboo

Replace a sink... with what?

Post by tiggyboo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:11 pm

We're remodeling my former workshop and turning it into a bedroom and an office, which also involves a small hallway. At the end of this future hallway sits my current workshop sink - which is going to be painfully out of place. My question - what are some ideas for something I could replace it with so as to take advantage of the existing plumbing? I thought of a water fountain (for drinking) or potentially even a decorative fountain (more my wife's idea than mine.) Again, this would be at the end of the short hallway that provides access to the doors for the new bedroom and office.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!

Al

Aaron

Re: Replace a sink... with what?

Post by Aaron » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Would having a sink of any kind be useful for you in the new space? I rather like a wet bar, for example.

If not, you can just cap the pipes behind the wall and put an access panel in front of it.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:56 am

I would be inclined to make the existing sink plumbing part of one of the rooms, rather than an oddball thing at the end of a hallway. With it in a room, you could have a half bath, kitchenette, or a wet bar which would compliment either room nicely.

I highly doubt that a drinking or decorative fountain would be of any benefit to the space, if the above suggestions don't strike your fancy, then I would recommend capping off the plumbing.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

tiggyboo

Post by tiggyboo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks guys, good thoughts. I do like the idea of incorporating the plumbing in my office somehow - maybe some form of God's gift to coffee machines device that uses a dedicated line, or maybe some form of diminutive wet bar (there is already one elsewhere in the basement.) I attached a model of what our new space will look like, hopefully you can get the gist of it. I'm thinking maybe I could wall off the end of the hallway and move the office door there to incorporate that odd space. Might be a little cramped, but worth considering - thoughts? Thanks again, Al
abby-sink.tiff.pdf
(85.6 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:14 am

yes if that plumbing could be moved or eliminated you could make better use of the space? What is behind the sink plumbing in that "jogged "area of wall?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

tiggyboo

Post by tiggyboo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:38 am

Shannon wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:14 am
yes if that plumbing could be moved or eliminated you could make better use of the space? What is behind the sink plumbing in that "jogged "area of wall?
I think that's more or less the limit of the foundation and pretty much underground (the window in the new bedroom is an egress window and the grade goes up as you move towards the office end.) Although there would have to be at least enough room to accommodate the pipes, I guess. But I suspect there's not much wiggle room if any to push that "jogged" area back. Thanks!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm

IMHO, that hallway adds up to a lot of wasted space Is it possible to reconfigure to have less hallway and more usable space within the rooms? What are the three cubicles in front of the bedroom? What are the total dimensions of the basement?

tiggyboo

Post by tiggyboo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:44 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm
IMHO, that hallway adds up to a lot of wasted space Is it possible to reconfigure to have less hallway and more usable space within the rooms? What are the three cubicles in front of the bedroom? What are the total dimensions of the basement?
I'm sure there probably is a more efficient configuration :-) The three cubicles: the one adjoining the hallway is an existing linen closet. The two behind that are currently a single close going to room that is not pictured. So I split that up so that the existing room as the cubicle next to the linen closet, and the new room will have the next one.
abby4-dimensions.tiff.pdf
(91.6 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:43 pm

If it were me, I think I'd flip flop the rooms. Put the bedroom closet in the 4'x11' niche and the linen closet where the current water location is. This will give you more space where the linen closet currently is and less wasted hallway space. Although, you did say that the window was a egress point, so flip flopping may not be possible. Still, the configuration looks cumbersome, I think it could be streamlined to maximize use.

tiggyboo

Post by tiggyboo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:11 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:43 pm
If it were me, I think I'd flip flop the rooms. Put the bedroom closet in the 4'x11' niche and the linen closet where the current water location is. This will give you more space where the linen closet currently is and less wasted hallway space. Although, you did say that the window was a egress point, so flip flopping may not be possible. Still, the configuration looks cumbersome, I think it could be streamlined to maximize use.
Thanks - an interesting idea, but yeah, the egress window is pretty much etched in stone (literally :-) ). I should really put together a model of the entire basement (finished portion) for a little bit better context for whomever has the patience to hang with this thread. Thanks for all the feedback thus far!