Rotate toilet 90 degrees

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
Jeremyq

Rotate toilet 90 degrees

Post by Jeremyq » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Doing a cheap bathroom reno and I want to rotate my toilet 90 degrees and maybe push it back a few inches. I've seen some flange extenders but curious how difficult it is. Thank you

A. Spruce

Re: Rotate toilet 90 degrees

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Unless you absolutely have to move the toilet, I would not recommend doing so, it's a lot of work. You could probably rotate the flange, some flanges have alternate toilet bolt locations, some flanges are movable, best case scenario is you install a new flange that doesn't require replacement of the pipe, an overlay, if you will.

Side note, you don't have to start a new thread for every question regarding your bathroom remodel. By keeping all questions in one spot, it will be easier for everyone to follow along and for you to review the info as needed.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:54 pm

It’s not likey you could simply rotate the toilet 90degrees without actually moving it way from the wall as well. Most flanges will be set to either 10” or 12” to centre from the wall.
As Spruce said it my not be to easy to reroute the pipe but if you have good access below it could be doable for sure
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:55 pm

I believe that if you have 3” pipe then you can be up to 5’ from the main stack?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:59 pm

I've seen some offset flanges that I think are designed to fudge a toilet waste pipe like an inch or two, but they're probably more designed to be used during a construction phase. To retrofit one of those you'd need to trim the waste pipe to just the right height so that it can couple with the pipe and be the correct height, then you'd glue it on... but before you could do that, you'd need to cut out subfloor to accommodate its fit, and then patch the gaps left behind from the previous flange.

No, toilets are pretty much fixed in place--moving them is a serious matter of replumbing that 3" waste line, redoing the floor, etc. Probably not worth it unless you are doing a very serious bathroom reno.