Frozen Pipes

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
rcosta

Frozen Pipes

Post by rcosta » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi, For the first time in our 25 years in our home (Long Island, NY) one of our 3 heating zones has a frozen pipe. I have two questions?

1) We called a plumber yesterday who felt since the pipes were not exposed, there was nothing we could do to find the freeze. Tomorrow the temperatures should be in the 30's. We have the other 2 zones up as high as possible. Do we just wait it out?

2) I am pretty ignorant regarding heating systems, so please have patience with this next question. On the furnace, all 3 heating zones have a way for the water to exit the system by turning a valve. Yesterday, the zone frozen was trickling a bit, but today, nothing. In addition, a zone that was fully flowing yesterday is not now, but the heat is fine. Is this a concern?

Thank you.

Rich

Shannon

Re: Frozen Pipes

Post by Shannon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:57 pm

I'm not really familiar with your system but I would think that it should un thaw just because the liquid will heat up? and eventually thaw? Obviously I am wrong.
What type of system is this? Radiators? Infloor radiant? Boiler?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:56 pm

I'm not familiar with hot water heating either, and I'd be curious where the freeze occurred because anything exposed to the house/furnace room temps should never freeze. It sounds more like a debris plug, possibly at the valves, than a frozen pipe. Where does debris come from, hard water deposit scale inside the pipes can do it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:30 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:56 pm
I'm not familiar with hot water heating either, and I'd be curious where the freeze occurred because anything exposed to the house/furnace room temps should never freeze. It sounds more like a debris plug, possibly at the valves, than a frozen pipe. Where does debris come from, hard water deposit scale inside the pipes can do it.
I was thinking the same thing.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

rcosta

Post by rcosta » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:47 am

Thank you. It is a boiler and the hot water is sent through small radiators on the floor. 3 zones. 2 work and one does not. Today it should get up to the freezing mark and warmer tomorrow so I think time will tell.

Regarding debris, that could be a possibility although it would be a coincidence as many neighbors have had frozen pipes in the past few days who have never had it before.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Rich

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:16 am

Can you trace your pipes and find likely spots that they are freezing? it would be nice to find them while frozen so you know the areas to give attention to hopefully avoid this in the future.
Pipes running near the exterior of the house or at spots where there are drafts are likely places to start.

rcosta

Post by rcosta » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:27 am

Thanks Shannon. I have tried that the best I could expect many of them are hidden by a finished basement and are behind sheetrock that is offset about 12" from the foundation. If the weather keeps warming and still no heat, I will need to see if there is another problem such as the circulator.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:26 pm

is each zone on its own circuit. pump and thermo stat? Those could also be sources of your problems as you mentioned.

rcosta

Post by rcosta » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 am

Yes that is correct. And that is what I was thinking as well. But yesterday a plumber came by, and as he increased the pressure, the clog of ice broke through and melted. We have heat in that zone and are quite lucky no pipes burst.

Thanks again and have a great week.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Glad to here things are working now.