Transforming garage sewer drains for bathroom

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
phantomvs

Transforming garage sewer drains for bathroom

Post by phantomvs » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:09 pm

I am thinking of adding a powder room in my basement by cutting into garage area.
Now the water supply lines are already there as my electric hot water tank is there.
But the drain is another story. I am thinking if I break cement slab can I tap into sewer drain pipe ?
Just not sure how the sewer pit works, the hole is for the water in driveways, the turned pipe and open pipe not sure ?
I also have a clean-out in garage in front corner. Guessing all connected.
It's a 48 year old house so I read grey water and sewer is same pipe.
If I follow my main stack as I only have one I think it's all connected.
I am in the city so no septic tank here.

Thanks !
Attachments
IMG_20190303_101015.jpg
IMG_20190303_101015.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 62 times
IMG_20190303_101039.jpg
IMG_20190303_101039.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 62 times

Shannon

Re: Transforming garage sewer drains for bathroom

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:55 pm

If you have a toilet (and you do) you need to be connecting to a 3" line at the least. I doubt you will find a 3" pipe anywhere in the garage unless the main sewer line runs through there headed to the city pipe. where is your main stack in relationship to this new toilet location ?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

phantomvs

Post by phantomvs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:13 am

Hey Shannon those pipes in the garage are all 3"
The main stack is about 10 ft behind new toilet location in a diagonal.
But I am thinking instead of tearing up basement floor to gain access , way easier to tap into garage pipes as they gotta go through there to reach out to city.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:13 am

Well here are your next problems. The distance you need to go to the main stack is to far for 3" pipe although you may be able to add a separate vent and make it work. Also the depth of that existing line where ever you open the floor and tie into intends to be deep enough that you can get proper slope to it from the toilet location . So what I'm saying is that if that existing line is shallow you may have to raise the floor of the bathroom or at least toilet to make it drain proper. You want 1/4" drop per 12" of travel.
You may have to have a plumber come take a good look and advise you on what would need to be done to make this work and meet your local codes?
Other options may be to use a Macerating toilet. They can be placed almost anywhere and the sewage is ground up and pumped through smaller pipes above the floor to where they can be drained. These can get pricey compared to a normal toilet but in many cases much cheaper and easier then hammering out the floor and digging trenches to connect pipes.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

phantomvs

Post by phantomvs » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Hey Shannon , thanks for replying.
I thought about the upflushing toilets, but prefer regular ones .
So I got a plumber to come and give me a quote. He says 3k.
He can dig up main drain in garage and connect sink and toilet there , he will also install backflow preventer says it's the code. Even willing to add a shower drain if I want.
I am planning on getting other quotes to see price range.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Ok sounds good ,let us know what you get for other quotes.